The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYC Law

Gold

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by NYC Law » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Antrim wrote:Have an interview with a judge in about a week and just now realized I have no idea what the hell to expect when I walk through the door... sooo any insight?
Seemed pretty standard, just be prepared to talk about what you want to do after LS, why LS, etc. It was pretty intimidating though, my judge seemed very direct and assertive.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:09 pm

2L just checking in to wish you all good luck! Don't give up hope; back in my day, I snagged a SA job at a midlaw firm In April, and a several friends got their various summer arrangements in January/February.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

So I sent out my materials to 60-70 judges on Dec 1 as well as applied to some firms. Firms have told me to send fall grades when i get them, and I haven't heard back from any judges except a few that told me they don't take 1Ls or something. I also signed up for our public interest OCI fair in January. Should I do more at this point? Send out my materials to more judges? Don't want to be left out come summer...

jess

Post by jess » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:05 pm

I would say you should call them and ask. No one on here can tell you this.

For what its worth I have phone interviews with some judges so if an interview is required I am sure it can be done via phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:30 pm

dadengcrew

New

Post by dadengcrew » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Is anybody applying to 1l diversity fellowships? Any idea of what firms are looking for in the personal statement?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:33 am

I am a 1L at Stanford.
I submitted three cover letters to Vault-100 firms in Houston, TX.
I am doing in-person interviews at those firms this week and next --
as well as attending all of the Holiday receptions.
Good-luck to other 1Ls.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:08 am

acrossthelake wrote:added layer of professional restraint and deference.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jess

Post by jess » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Michael Scarn

New

Post by Agent Michael Scarn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:18 pm

neonx wrote:I am a 1L at Stanford.
Good-luck to other 1Ls.
neonx, I also hit up the TX firms, primarily in Dallas.. Going to the receptions, but no interview requests yet.. Did you do anything special, or did you just send in a resume/cover letter and they immediately asked for an interview? I'm not expecting Stanford-esque job search results, but I thought my T14 may get me at least a nibble...

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:50 pm

1L at Stanford from Houston.

Sent 4 Cover Letters to Houston firms, one interview scheduled with F&J
Sent way too many DOJ/Cal DOJ applications, received one Cal DOJ and one DOJ interview.

Best of luck 1Ls!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Trustbuster wrote:1L at Stanford from Houston.

Sent 4 Cover Letters to Houston firms, one interview scheduled with F&J
Sent way too many DOJ/Cal DOJ applications, received one Cal DOJ and one DOJ interview.

Best of luck 1Ls!

Trustbuster, good-luck all of your stuff, my friend!

Maybe we'll end up at the same firm this summer!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Agent Michael Scarn wrote:
neonx wrote:I am a 1L at Stanford.
Good-luck to other 1Ls.
neonx, I also hit up the TX firms, primarily in Dallas.. Going to the receptions, but no interview requests yet.. Did you do anything special, or did you just send in a resume/cover letter and they immediately asked for an interview? I'm not expecting Stanford-esque job search results, but I thought my T14 may get me at least a nibble...
Nothing special -- just resume & cover letter. I also specified dates I'll be in town.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:39 pm

when using a legal writing sample from LRW, do you have to do anything special to tailor it for being a writing sample? Obviously I will go through it and check for typo's, etc, but other than that?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Just got a call from my home secondary market to schedule an interview, but I'm not going to be in town after tomorrow. fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

drudgemyhuff

New

Post by drudgemyhuff » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:44 pm

thegrayman wrote:when using a legal writing sample from LRW, do you have to do anything special to tailor it for being a writing sample? Obviously I will go through it and check for typo's, etc, but other than that?
I sent one over to a firm the other day and all I did was use the closed memo and edit for any typos. Also, I made it a point to put my strongest discussion sections toward the front. I received an interview offer a few days later, but I'm certain that my sample had nothing to do with it. I imagine it was for purposes of making sure they were not bringing in a crazy person. So the short answer is no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Had an interview yesterday where pretty much all the firm asked was, "what questions do you have for us?" I hate these types of interviews! Anyone else have this experience?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Had an interview yesterday where pretty much all the firm asked was, "what questions do you have for us?" I hate these types of interviews! Anyone else have this experience?

Yep, just had one of these. I literally asked every question I could think of and we still ended early. The idea is to ask really opened ended questions and to let them talk about their experience but it can be awkward some times.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 pm

I asked my CSO at my T1 about a Dec. 1 deadline and they looked at me like I was crazy. What jobs in particular require or strongly prefer a Dec. 1 deadline? Seems like most of the jobs for 1L's out here were posted sometime in Dec. and have a deadline for Jan. 15.

Do these mainly only apply to T14 applicants who are applying to super prestigious positions? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I asked my CSO at my T1 about a Dec. 1 deadline and they looked at me like I was crazy. What jobs in particular require or strongly prefer a Dec. 1 deadline? Seems like most of the jobs for 1L's out here were posted sometime in Dec. and have a deadline for Jan. 15.

Do these mainly only apply to T14 applicants who are applying to super prestigious positions? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks.
If you want any shot to get a 1L SA outside of the top schools you would need to apply to the big firms on Dec 1 or have a really strong connection. The chances of getting a 1L SA is less than 1% so I guess your CSO just ignored biglaw and was talking to you about the usual 1L options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 pm

ran12 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I asked my CSO at my T1 about a Dec. 1 deadline and they looked at me like I was crazy. What jobs in particular require or strongly prefer a Dec. 1 deadline? Seems like most of the jobs for 1L's out here were posted sometime in Dec. and have a deadline for Jan. 15.

If you want any shot to get a 1L SA outside of the top schools you would need to apply to the big firms on Dec 1 or have a really strong connection. The chances of getting a 1L SA is less than 1% so I guess your CSO just ignored biglaw and was talking to you about the usual 1L options.
Yeah maybe. I know I sent in a few applications well after Dec. 1 (Dec. 20) and got invites to the firm receptions and a return email. But that was the day after they posted an opening on our CSO website so that might be different.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:49 pm

so I've applied to a multitude of government positions. None of their deadlines have even passed yet, and I realize that the government gets ridiculous amounts of time off around the holiday season but I have't heard back from one yet. (sent the first on the 14th and sent others over the next two weeks)

Concerning?

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:51 pm

jd20132013 wrote:so I've applied to a multitude of government positions. None of their deadlines have even passed yet, and I realize that the government gets ridiculous amounts of time off around the holiday season but I have't heard back from one yet. (sent the first on the 14th and sent others over the next two weeks)

Concerning?
Don't be concerned, the government's not doing much right now. The second half of December is filled with Christmas parties and Christmas vacation.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 pm

jd20132013 wrote:so I've applied to a multitude of government positions. None of their deadlines have even passed yet, and I realize that the government gets ridiculous amounts of time off around the holiday season but I have't heard back from one yet. (sent the first on the 14th and sent others over the next two weeks)

Concerning?
i wouldn't be concerned. I applied to a bunch of DA/SA offices and AUSA offices and have only heard back from a handful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”