The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
t-ender

New

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by t-ender » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Okay this might be a really n00bish question, but check-out time for my hotel is 12 noon, and my interview doesn't end until noon. Bring luggage with me to interview, then, I guess? It seems so awkward.
Ask the hotel to check your luggage - they will usually do this without a fee if you are a guest and then you can pick up your bags after the interview.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:45 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Okay this might be a really n00bish question, but check-out time for my hotel is 12 noon, and my interview doesn't end until noon. Bring luggage with me to interview, then, I guess? It seems so awkward.
Most hotels will let you leave your luggage at the front desk (or in a front closet) between check-out and when you actually need to leave. Call the hotel to double check, but that would be the way to go if you can.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:45 pm

t-ender wrote:
Ask the hotel to check your luggage - they will usually do this without a fee if you are a guest and then you can pick up your bags after the interview.

...I should really check to see if there's another page before responding... :oops:

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:01 pm

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Got the internship!
I'll be working for a First Circuit Court of Appeals Judge this summer.
Overjoyed, and now have no motivation to work on this memo that's due for legal writing, which is ironic considering I'll be writing memos all summer long.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

So I'm starting to get worried about the summer, primarily because of TLS so hopefully my fear goes unfounded. I updated firms in my home market with grades and am stilling waiting to hear back from 10-15 firms. Silence from almost all federal district judges and CoA judges (sent out applications Dec. 1st) so I applied to state supreme court justices back home. No word from them besides one saying he doesn't hire 1L's.

I'm thinking of applying to the intermediate appellate court in my home state. Is it too late? That seems to be the general consensus on this board, or, at the least, my odds aren't looking good. But my sense is that most judges back home haven't started looking at applications because of the low response rate. Basically, when should I start panicking about the summer? I just want a jerb.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm

orderofthings wrote:So I'm starting to get worried about the summer, primarily because of TLS so hopefully my fear goes unfounded. I updated firms in my home market with grades and am stilling waiting to hear back from 10-15 firms. Silence from almost all federal district judges and CoA judges (sent out applications Dec. 1st) so I applied to state supreme court justices back home. No word from them besides one saying he doesn't hire 1L's.

I'm thinking of applying to the intermediate appellate court in my home state. Is it too late? That seems to be the general consensus on this board, or, at the least, my odds aren't looking good. But my sense is that most judges back home haven't started looking at applications because of the low response rate. Basically, when should I start panicking about the summer? I just want a jerb.
Shit I have two offers and am still applying. What do you have to lose?

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I'm holding out so I'll send out more this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 pm

FWIW, just received an offer from the Supreme Court in my target market. Didn't interview or anything. So at least some state courts are still hiring.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Shit I have two offers and am still applying. What do you have to lose?
Really?

I'm currently progressing through the interview/callback stage at like 6 places and figure I won't send out anymore. You really think it's worth still applying? I ask out of curiosity, not like challenging you.
I interviewed with the judge on Thursday and sent out 3 internship apps with companies/firms on Friday.
Never hurts to send out an app if you don't currently have an offer in hand/aren't overjoyed/constrained by the offer you have...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice...I had some interest from firms until I got my grades back, which were horrendous (sub 3.0 at a mid T14). So I need to start applying at different places, but I don't know who would be less grade-conscious. Judges? Legal aid-type groups? Something else??

Another question is are summer employers generally inflexible about start dates? The one firm that's still interested in me isn't going to work out because their program starts at the beginning of June but I can't leave my area until mid June (have to wait until my kids' school gets out). They weren't able to be flexible about the start date because of training seminars and whatnot, so I'm wondering if I'm going to run into that problem elsewhere.

Appreciate any advice!
Anything other than firms. If you've noticed upstream in the thread, a lot of people applied to judges Dec 1st. Those spots have either been taken, or they're about done scheduling interviews. You can try to mass-mail them, but keep in mind your odds are dim. For public-interest jobs, you should take the time to really customize to the extent that you can instead of just sending out generic cover letters, but at this point, you should also apply broadly.
Thanks!

Anyone have opinions on start date flexibility? For those of you who have offers, were they pretty firm on the start date? I'm hoping that not being able to start (unless it's in town) until mid June won't be another hurdle to deal with in addition to the less than stellar grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm

My judge wanted me to start by the end of May.
Luckily for me I don't have to move/don't have any constraints, so I can actually start before that.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have opinions on start date flexibility? For those of you who have offers, were they pretty firm on the start date? I'm hoping that not being able to start (unless it's in town) until mid June won't be another hurdle to deal with in addition to the less than stellar grades.
I think this depends on the type of organization you are going to be working with. The smaller the pool of interns, the more flexible they are likely to be. There is already some variation because of the differences in schedules among the various schools.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 pm

beachbum wrote:FWIW, just received an offer from the Supreme Court in my target market. Didn't interview or anything. So at least some state courts are still hiring.
Wow, that's crazy. Congrats!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!

Anyone have opinions on start date flexibility? For those of you who have offers, were they pretty firm on the start date? I'm hoping that not being able to start (unless it's in town) until mid June won't be another hurdle to deal with in addition to the less than stellar grades.
I'm externing for a judge and there is a firm June 4 start date and August 10 finish. I believe there is a training of some sort for all the externs and we all start at the same time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:35 am

I dunno, I don't think it's awkward. Honestly I bet it happens all the time with people flying in. The only flight back I could get was really close to the end of my callback so the firm scheduled car service for me directly to the airport from the firm once lunch ended. I left my bags with the receptionist behind her desk and it was never seen by anybody who interviewed me (granted the reception desk was separated from the rest of the firm, I still don't think it's awkward at all).

Of course you can leave your bags with the hotel as people mentioned.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Just got a USAO Offer!!

Should I do that or hold out for a District Judge? Or should I try for the PI thing?

Goal is to get a job at OCI

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Every biglaw attorney I've talked to has said they absolutely don't care what you did 1L summer unless it's extremely good (i.e. SA and you got an offer) or extremely bad (non-legal). I'd take the job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

NYC Law wrote:Just got a USAO Offer!!

Should I do that or hold out for a District Judge? Or should I try for the PI thing?

Congrats! How long do you have to think it over? Maybe you can still wait for the other decisions?

I was feeling bad for myself this morning since my only offer was a very research/policy focused position that required a two hour commute each way. But now I got an offer for a government position that I really wanted -- but I have to move and find housing and it won't be paid. So not as easy as if I could stay in Boston and didn't have to move, but the work would involve more client contact!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:47 pm

cinephile wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Just got a USAO Offer!!

Congrats! How long do you have to think it over? Maybe you can still wait for the other decisions?

I was feeling bad for myself this morning since my only offer was a very research/policy focused position that required a two hour commute each way. But now I got an offer for a government position that I really wanted -- but I have to move and find housing and it won't be paid. So not as easy as if I could stay in Boston and didn't have to move, but the work would involve more client contact!
Nvm, turns out I'm working with the Judge (got my schedule and everything). I was a little confused, but I think it's all settled now, so I suppose I need to turn down USAO (which is killing me to do, never thought I'd say no to the USAO. Oh well, good opportunities either way and I'm very thankful).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Hoping for a little advice that will help me avoid being awkward/obnoxious. Two weeks ago, I interviewed with a federal judge. Had an awesome time and really want the gig. At the end of the interview, I was told that decisions would likely be made by last Friday and that they would call one way or another. I was told that if I hadn't heard from chambers on Friday that I could call in on the following Monday. Didn't hear on Friday, called twice yesterday and twice today. Voicemail every time. Would it be horribly obnoxious to leave a voice mail saying something to the effect of "hey its xxx, just calling to check the status of any decisions and reaffirm my interest. You can reach me at ###." Or should I take the hint?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”