The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SilverE2

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by SilverE2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm

So I may as well jump into this thread now that finals are over. Some firms that I'm applying to don't list whether they hire 1Ls on NALP. Any advice how to approach this? Should I just sent my usual cover letter and resume and hope they do? Should I ask first? Should I send an e-mail asking and attaching a cover letter and resume? halp

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:14 pm

SilverE2 wrote:So I may as well jump into this thread now that finals are over. Some firms that I'm applying to don't list whether they hire 1Ls on NALP. Any advice how to approach this? Should I just sent my usual cover letter and resume and hope they do? Should I ask first? Should I send an e-mail asking and attaching a cover letter and resume? halp
Just do it. The worst they can do is say no. I sent out to firms that didn't list and the ones that replied said they weren't taking 1Ls or they were full. Just email them your app.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:17 pm

SilverE2 wrote:So I may as well jump into this thread now that finals are over. Some firms that I'm applying to don't list whether they hire 1Ls on NALP. Any advice how to approach this? Should I just sent my usual cover letter and resume and hope they do? Should I ask first? Should I send an e-mail asking and attaching a cover letter and resume? halp
Check the firm website and see if you can get any info on whether they hire 1Ls. I've seen a few firms that have answered that question either in the general info on their summer associate program or in the FAQ section.

Also, my CSO said that if NALP doesn't specifically say that the firm doesn't hire 1L's it's okay to apply. Just go ahead and apply with your resume and cover letter.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Checking in. Guess this means I have to update the resume and start cover letters. Frack.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:56 pm

adonai wrote:
Just do it. The worst they can do is say no. I sent out to firms that didn't list and the ones that replied said they weren't taking 1Ls or they were full. Just email them your app.
+1. Additionally, I heard back from one firm that isn't hiring 1Ls but still invited me to come by and meet some of the members of the recruiting committee. This has happened to other people I know, as well. Even if it doesn't lead to a job this summer, it's not a bad thing to get a chance meet a few people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
adonai wrote:
+1. Additionally, I heard back from one firm that isn't hiring 1Ls but still invited me to come by and meet some of the members of the recruiting committee. This has happened to other people I know, as well. Even if it doesn't lead to a job this summer, it's not a bad thing to get a chance meet a few people.
Wow that's great. Thanks a lot guys.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Snail mail rejection from a Chicago firm. I am unfazed.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I was under the impression that most firms communicate via email, but it seems like quite a few of you are getting things by mail. Not that I am going to get any good news from firms through the mail, but I won't be able to check my mail for a month while I am away during winter break. How common is it for firms to send good news (e.g. interview invite) through the mail? And do they send to the school or local address if both are listed on the resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

URM, T10

5 firm interviews: 2 in major markets, and 3 at large firms in my hometown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Haymarket wrote:Snail mail rejection from a Chicago firm. I am unfazed.
Enjoy unemployment, dooder.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Snail mail rejection from a Chicago firm. I am unfazed.
Enjoy unemployment, dooder.
Careful brosef, I you might be whistlin' Dixie along with me sooner than you expect.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 pm

So I just checked out Syplicity for the first time. Umm, I'm new to everything and there's still a whole bunch of stuff that I need to read from my CDO, but I just searched for judicial internships in a 100 mile radius from DC. There was 1 court hiring. Does this mean that everywhere already got filled up or what?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 pm

It means you shouldn't rely on Symplicity, and apply broadly to courts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:So I just checked out Syplicity for the first time. Umm, I'm new to everything and there's still a whole bunch of stuff that I need to read from my CDO, but I just searched for judicial internships in a 100 mile radius from DC. There was 1 court hiring. Does this mean that everywhere already got filled up or what?
My school doesn't list those on symplicity - I think you're just supposed to know to apply to them directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm

ilovesf wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:So I just checked out Syplicity for the first time. Umm, I'm new to everything and there's still a whole bunch of stuff that I need to read from my CDO, but I just searched for judicial internships in a 100 mile radius from DC. There was 1 court hiring. Does this mean that everywhere already got filled up or what?
My school doesn't list those on symplicity - I think you're just supposed to know to apply to them directly.
Yeah, I have interviews at the Maryland district court and state supreme court so they are taking applications.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Yeah, I have interviews at the Maryland district court and state supreme court so they are taking applications.
Thanks, it looks like I have some stuff to learn about all this.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Just had a few of my District Court apps sent back for being $.15 short on postage. Merry fucking Christmas!!!!!1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 pm

BEAST_mode wrote:Just had a few of my District Court apps sent back for being $.15 short on postage. Merry fucking Christmas!!!!!1
I've had nightmares about this. Sorry, bro.

Gonna send them back right away?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Haymarket wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:Just had a few of my District Court apps sent back for being $.15 short on postage. Merry fucking Christmas!!!!!1
I've had nightmares about this. Sorry, bro.

Gonna send them back right away?
Yeah, that sucks, sorry to hear it man. I'm paranoid about this so I always put two stamps on big envelopes if I think they're too heavy (but I didn't apply to judges, I know that would be a huge money sink otherwise).

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Yea this shit happened to me. I don't get it because I have gotten responses from judges so I know that some of them got to their destination, so why were these returned. Frustrating.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 pm

theavrock wrote:
Yea this shit happened to me. I don't get it because I have gotten responses from judges so I know that some of them got to their destination, so why were these returned. Frustrating.
Exactly. Most seem to have made it through as I've had some responses. I re-postmarked the few that were returned and put them in the mail for tomorrow. Guess I should start calling to make sure elsewhere. Such is life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 am

Got an email rejection yesterday from a V50 in LA (satellite office) that appeared to be rejecting me specifically rather than 1L's as a whole. I say this because the email said that they would not be giving me any further consideration rather than "our class is full," or "we're not hiring 1L's this year."

MVP with strong ties to LA. Multiple firm interviews in another city (where I also have strong ties).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:53 am

Does anyone have any advice (or know of a thread that does) about doing an in person 4 hour + lunch interview with a big firm.

I assume it will be like a call back interview that 2Ls do. I have one next week and I am worried about what they are going to ask me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any advice (or know of a thread that does) about doing an in person 4 hour + lunch interview with a big firm.

I assume it will be like a call back interview that 2Ls do. I have one next week and I am worried about what they are going to ask me.
Different anon, also curious about this. I have a similar interview coming up.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Whyyyyyyyy hasn't the DA responded????? I am awesome. Wahhhhhhhh!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”