The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

r6_philly wrote:I have a bunch of letters with nice firm letterheads. Expecting a lot more very soon.
Me too. But I really had no business applying to lots of the firms I applied to. I've pretty much given up on trying to go the big firm route.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 am

chimp wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I have a bunch of letters with nice firm letterheads. Expecting a lot more very soon.
Me too. But I really had no business applying to lots of the firms I applied to. I've pretty much given up on trying to go the big firm route.
I got a mix of reactions from interviews to invitation to apply to 2L SA to wishing for best future endeavors to plain no (and nothing else). It's a crap shoot, don't sell yourself short. You never know.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
chimp wrote:
I got a mix of reactions from interviews to invitation to apply to 2L SA to wishing for best future endeavors to plain no (and nothing else). It's a crap shoot, don't sell yourself short. You never know.
Same here and yea it really is a crap shoot

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 am

My unstable and crazy ass got 3 firm offers so far (well, 2 of 3 are half-summers, but luckily one is 1st half and the other is 2nd half), so there is hope for all!

I'm median pwn3d so far so I'm expecting for the "LOLGTFO!" to start soon :(

ETA: And for those wondering how this happened--my first grade was A- which triggered an offer at one firm (I interviewed all end of Dec. and early Jan at ~9 firms). Once I let the other firms know about the exploding offer, it triggered a response from the other two, and here I am...

But now that I have all my grades one more grade, and the remaining firms are asking for grade updates before the final decisions coming up, I feel obligated to share my other grade which is a "MEH," which will surely leave them laughing and pointing at the other firms and calling them stupid for biting too quickly, lol.

Edited: because I'm just living in my dreams and wish I had all my grades back. DAMN YOU SHAW TO HELL!
Last edited by Guchster on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 am

Guchster wrote:My unstable and crazy ass got 3 firm offers so far (well, 2 of 3 are half-summers, but luckily one is 1st half and the other is 2nd half), so there is hope for all!

ETA: And for those wondering how this happened--my first grade was A- which triggered an offer at one firm (I interviewed all end of Dec. and early Jan at ~9 firms). Once I let the other firms know about the exploding offer, it triggered a response from the other two, and here I am...

But now that I have all my grades, and the remaining firms are asking for grade updates before the final decisions coming up, I feel obligated to share my other grade which is a "MEH," which will surely leave them laughing and pointing at the other firms and calling them stupid for biting too quickly, lol.
Wow very nicely done, congrats! Wouldn't worry about the rest, all you need is one (and you got three).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:15 am

NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:My unstable and crazy ass got 3 firm offers so far (well, 2 of 3 are half-summers, but luckily one is 1st half and the other is 2nd half), so there is hope for all!

But now that I have all my grades, and the remaining firms are asking for grade updates before the final decisions coming up, I feel obligated to share my other grade which is a "MEH," which will surely leave them laughing and pointing at the other firms and calling them stupid for biting too quickly, lol.
Wow very nicely done, congrats! Wouldn't worry about the rest, all you need is one (and you got three).
Yes now you can no offer them. Also, I don't think median at a T6 qualifies as "pwn3d"

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 am

But now that I have all my grades one more grade, and the remaining firms are asking for grade updates before the final decisions coming up, I feel obligated to share my other grade which is a "MEH," which will surely leave them laughing and pointing at the other firms and calling them stupid for biting too quickly, lol.

Edited: because I'm just living in my dreams and wish I had all my grades back. DAMN YOU SHAW TO HELL!
Good lord, I was wishing you luck but now I really want to know who you are. 9 firms for interviews? Damn, person.

I'm so happy for you, but frankly don't stress about anywhere you don't have an offer from. You are who you are, you have some amazing offers, and if they ding you for something stupid like a torts grade, you really don't need them.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

is a government agency like the DOL a good alternative to a firm job for 1L summer?

Ofta3184

New

Post by Ofta3184 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 am

you've got to be from Texas

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Got one interview through MPILCC, which is our public interest OCI.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Had my call back interview with the medium firm in Chicago.

I think it went pretty well with pretty laid back interviews for about 2 hours. They said they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks.... :|

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:07 pm

A two hour long interview is a good sign. Good luck!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Haymarket wrote:Had my call back interview with the medium firm in Chicago.

I think it went pretty well with pretty laid back interviews for about 2 hours. They said they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks.... :|
That is good to hear, hope mine goes just as well. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Is anyone else growing convinced that all DC judges have entered a pact to ignore them? I certainly am.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

bdubs wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Had my call back interview with the medium firm in Chicago.

That is good to hear, hope mine goes just as well. Good luck.
Good luck to you both. I have one with 4 partners and 2 associates tomorrow. Intense.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 pm

NYC Law wrote: Wow very nicely done, congrats! Wouldn't worry about the rest, all you need is one (and you got three).
Thank you! In all of my bitching and worrying about this stuff, I kinda overlooked that fact, so thank you for calming me down.
piccolittle wrote: Good lord, I was wishing you luck but now I really want to know who you are. 9 firms for interviews? Damn, person.

I'm so happy for you, but frankly don't stress about anywhere you don't have an offer from. You are who you are, you have some amazing offers, and if they ding you for something stupid like a torts grade, you really don't need them.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!
Thanks!!!! You guys are incredibly supportive, and it's so nice to have people like you guys in my corner during this horrendous process. Seriously fuck Torts to hell.

-- Also if it helps people, all three firms are from my home market (which is not very competitive), so it's not likely i'm killing the NYC market, lol. In some ways, I actually do think people pity how weird I am, and that's why they give me jerbs after interviews.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

I got my first job offer just now ! ^_^

It's for a PI place in Austin, TX that I interviewed with over winter break. It would be pretty interesting work, and I asked for 2 weeks to give them a decision so I can see if the other firms will give me an answer first. But still, thank God I have something!

You all have been generally pretty awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Haymarket wrote:I got my first job offer just now ! ^_^

It's for a PI place in Austin, TX that I interviewed with over winter break. It would be pretty interesting work, and I asked for 2 weeks to give them a decision so I can see if the other firms will give me an answer first. But still, thank God I have something!

Should have asked for longer! But you can always wait a week, then get back to the firm about your pending offer and see if they could give you an answer soon.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Haymarket wrote:I got my first job offer just now ! ^_^

Should have asked for longer! But you can always wait a week, then get back to the firm about your pending offer and see if they could give you an answer soon.
The PI org I got an offer from gave me 2 weeks as well, but said I could get an extension if need be. Employers are usually pretty flexible. They know you're likely weighing multiple options.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Snail mail rejection from a PILI app (Lambda Legal). I really wish orgs that I applied to electronically would just ding me via email. No sense in wasting postage on that.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Phone screener invite for the job of my dreams!!! Unfortunately, I told my offer I would get back to them on Tuesday. Any thoughts on whether it would be bad form to ask for an extension and/or how to go about it? The offer was pretty much a courtesy as they didn't interview me or anything, just called to tell me I could come back. I made it pretty clear in the materials that it was my first choice (never thought I would get a better option, like the phone screener mentioned above).

Aaaand the firm keeps me humble with a snail mail rejection. Thinking it was the interview, looking for ways to improve this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Interview request from the L.A. City Attorney's office. Now I'm really confused. I'll probably still opt for PI though because I'll likely be able to get funding for it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 pm

piccolittle wrote:Phone screener invite for the job of my dreams!!! Unfortunately, I told my offer I would get back to them on Tuesday. Any thoughts on whether it would be bad form to ask for an extension and/or how to go about it? The offer was pretty much a courtesy as they didn't interview me or anything, just called to tell me I could come back. I made it pretty clear in the materials that it was my first choice (never thought I would get a better option, like the phone screener mentioned above).

Aaaand the firm keeps me humble with a snail mail rejection. Thinking it was the interview, looking for ways to improve this.
I think if you expressed it as your first choice, you should have declined all other invitations for interview and accepted. That's why it's so risky to tell someone that it is your first choice. The ethical thing is to accept because even you think they extended the offer largely based on their faith in you. But you haven't accepted, so you are free to explore other options. Your call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 am

Quick question: What would happen if I would ask a firm that advertised a "diversity position" that requires an essay about diversity in fulfillment of the firm's commitment to diverse candidates whether I actually need to be a minority to apply for the job? Would the Earth collapse into itself?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 am

delusional wrote:Quick question: What would happen if I would ask a firm that advertised a "diversity position" that requires an essay about diversity in fulfillment of the firm's commitment to diverse candidates whether I actually need to be a minority to apply for the job? Would the Earth collapse into itself?
Most diversity positions I applied to mentioned the types of diversity they were looking for.

Example (from Munger):
including, but not limited to, law students who are members of racial or ethnic minority groups, are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, are physically challenged, or are from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”