The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
delusional

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Where are all you guy interviewing? I don't even know where to apply. I sent out half-mass mails to a bunch of firms in my home market, and I sent an application to the USAO over winter break, which was after December 15. So far my scorecard reads: Out of office autoreply: 8
We are not hiring 1Ls: 1
We are not hiring anyone else for our summer program: 1
And that's it.
I plan to apply to my state attorney's office, but outside of that everything seems so specialized. Should I apply to a PI organization that focuses on Asian women's rights? Postal Service malfeasance? Any tips, guys?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Two interviews next week and grades are supposed to be out sometime between monday and friday.Lawd help me.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:57 pm

delusional wrote:Where are all you guy interviewing? I don't even know where to apply. I sent out half-mass mails to a bunch of firms in my home market, and I sent an application to the USAO over winter break, which was after December 15. So far my scorecard reads: Out of office autoreply: 8
And that's it.
I plan to apply to my state attorney's office, but outside of that everything seems so specialized. Should I apply to a PI organization that focuses on Asian women's rights? Postal Service malfeasance? Any tips, guys?
Think of any nonprofit you can and see if they have a legal internship; the nonprofit itself might not even be a legal services provider. There are summer legal internships at think tanks, advocacy groups, watchdog organizations, etc. Also, check government agencies and departments.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
delusional wrote:Where are all you guy interviewing? I don't even know where to apply. I sent out half-mass mails to a bunch of firms in my home market, and I sent an application to the USAO over winter break, which was after December 15. So far my scorecard reads: Out of office autoreply: 8
And that's it.
Think of any nonprofit you can and see if they have a legal internship; the nonprofit itself might not even be a legal services provider. There are summer legal internships at think tanks, advocacy groups, watchdog organizations, etc. Also, check government agencies and departments.
My school has a database of such organizations, but if I don't even know what the group does, I can't imagine what their legal interns do.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Haven't been here in a while (except lurking). Mailed 70 art III judges (district and CA) DC area, received 1 interview request and 3 rejections so far. Interviewed this week and was offered two days later, accepted immediately (US Dist. Ct. judge). Good luck to all still looking, as my experience shows, it only takes one bite at the apple sometimes...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
And that's it.
My school has a database of such organizations, but if I don't even know what the group does, I can't imagine what their legal interns do.
So....?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

mr_toad wrote:Haven't been here in a while (except lurking). Mailed 70 art III judges (district and CA) DC area, received 1 interview request and 3 rejections so far. Interviewed this week and was offered two days later, accepted immediately (US Dist. Ct. judge). Good luck to all still looking, as my experience shows, it only takes one bite at the apple sometimes...
Congrats! That's great.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm

delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
And that's it.
I think you're doing it wrong.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 pm

theavrock wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Haven't been here in a while (except lurking). Mailed 70 art III judges (district and CA) DC area, received 1 interview request and 3 rejections so far. Interviewed this week and was offered two days later, accepted immediately (US Dist. Ct. judge). Good luck to all still looking, as my experience shows, it only takes one bite at the apple sometimes...
Congrats! That's great.
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked. Had an in at a Fed agency I'm interested in, but this was what I really wanted out of my 1L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
And that's it.
So....?
Iunno, I feel like when I apply for a job, I should have some idea of what it is that I'm applying for. Is that too old fashioned?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 pm

delusional wrote:Iunno, I feel like when I apply for a job, I should have some idea of what it is that I'm applying for. Is that too old fashioned?
Let me open your world

http://www.google.com/

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Think of any nonprofit you can and see if they have a legal internship; the nonprofit itself might not even be a legal services provider. There are summer legal internships at think tanks, advocacy groups, watchdog organizations, etc. Also, check government agencies and departments.
So....?
Iunno, I feel like when I apply for a job, I should have some idea of what it is that I'm applying for. Is that too old fashioned?
That's what research is for. Google them. Read their wikipedia page. Read news stories about them. Browse their website. It's not "old-fashioned" to only be willing to apply for a job if you already know what they do before you start looking for a job, it's just plain lazy (and not a strong job search tactic, either).

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:
delusional wrote:Iunno, I feel like when I apply for a job, I should have some idea of what it is that I'm applying for. Is that too old fashioned?
Let me open your world

http://www.google.com/
doing a google search for linkedin profiles is money when finding out what the job entails and what type of assignments you will get

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 pm

delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
delusional wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Think of any nonprofit you can and see if they have a legal internship; the nonprofit itself might not even be a legal services provider. There are summer legal internships at think tanks, advocacy groups, watchdog organizations, etc. Also, check government agencies and departments.
So....?
The typical yield on these things are so low you should just apply everywhere that sounds remotely interesting (and legal related of course), or in the area you want to work. You can do more research once you start getting calls.

Something like OCI is a different story since you're only bidding on limited places, plus it's where you'll likely end up working after graduation, but jesus dude, it's just a 1L summer job.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm

guys don't do two interviews in one day for a firm job. I realized after 8 straight hours of talking about myself that my brain lost cells it could not afford to lose!

By the time I was passed to the last partner, I was literally slurring my words and he probably thought I was drunk (which I should've been).

another set of two interviews tomorrow. and then again next week. i guess it's too late to change the scheduling? I did it cuz I'm only visiting my home market until school starts up next week. then back to UDC!

rawr!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Hahaha all my interviews end with "Well I am still interviewing with other people so I'll let you know over the next several weeks / in March". How hard am I bombing these interviews?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
delusional wrote:
So....?
That's what research is for. Google them. Read their wikipedia page. Read news stories about them. Browse their website. It's not "old-fashioned" to only be willing to apply for a job if you already know what they do before you start looking for a job, it's just plain lazy (and not a strong job search tactic, either).
OK. Pants duly kicked.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Guchster wrote:guys don't do two interviews in one day for a firm job. I realized after 8 straight hours of talking about myself that my brain lost cells it could not afford to lose!

By the time I was passed to the last partner, I was literally slurring my words and he probably thought I was drunk (which I should've been).

another set of two interviews tomorrow. and then again next week. i guess it's too late to change the scheduling? I did it cuz I'm only visiting my home market until school starts up next week. then back to UDC!

rawr!
What are you?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Hahaha all my interviews end with "Well I am still interviewing with other people so I'll let you know over the next several weeks / in March". How hard am I bombing these interviews?
nah brah i'm getting told the same thing.

the best responses are "we'll call you sometime in the next few months" if your resume changes let us know. LOLWTF!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:guys don't do two interviews in one day for a firm job. I realized after 8 straight hours of talking about myself that my brain lost cells it could not afford to lose!

rawr!
What are you?
Don't understand this question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm

ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!
whoa, as in scalia?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!
whoa, as in scalia?
looool... no. a CA CoA justice.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Guchster wrote:
whoa, as in scalia?
looool... no. a CA CoA justice.
i like this poster a lot. you ask good questions most of the time so I'll stop harassing you now.
Last edited by Guchster on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Guchster wrote:
whoa, as in scalia?
CA COA judges are called justices. It's kind of weird.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”