The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lwoods

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Lwoods » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 pm

adonai wrote: In your description of the writing sample, write a one or two sentence summary on what the writing sample is about and what you argued.

Send in pdf form. Sending hardcopy in regular mail is fine too. Email only saves you time and money, although some judges may prefer it, I don't think they'll hold it against you.
Thanks! I sent it off.

I'm a little nervous; I feel like the only thing I'm confident about right now is my resume. Thank you, 1L year. ;)

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Lwoods wrote:
adonai wrote: In your description of the writing sample, write a one or two sentence summary on what the writing sample is about and what you argued.

Send in pdf form. Sending hardcopy in regular mail is fine too. Email only saves you time and money, although some judges may prefer it, I don't think they'll hold it against you.
Thanks! I sent it off.

I'm a little nervous; I feel like the only thing I'm confident about right now is my resume. Thank you, 1L year. ;)
Did you end up emailed it?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm

target wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Thanks! I sent it off.

Did you end up emailed it?
Yeah. Since she said either was fine, I figured the faster/more efficient method would be preferable. Also, I don't have large envelopes at home. :)

This judge would probably be my first choice because of the type of cases I'd be exposed to. However, I have a professor I can RA for as well as an interview lined up with another judge that I'm also very excited about, so I suppose I should stop stressing about jobs and focus my stress/efforts on exam studying.

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Lwoods wrote: Yeah. Since she said either was fine, I figured the faster/more efficient method would be preferable. Also, I don't have large envelopes at home. :)

This judge would probably be my first choice because of the type of cases I'd be exposed to. However, I have a professor I can RA for as well as an interview lined up with another judge that I'm also very excited about, so I suppose I should stop stressing about jobs and focus my stress/efforts on exam studying.
+1000000 to the bold.

Good luck with summer intern hunting and finals!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Mail rejection from a state CoA judge. It was really nice, just said he wasn't accepting 1Ls this summer, but sucks none the less.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:Mail rejection from a state CoA judge. It was really nice, just said he wasn't accepting 1Ls this summer, but sucks none the less.
Got a couple of these too the other day. They're surprisingly very polite about it.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Got my first rejections today - 1 from a District Judge, one from one of my 4 firms I applied to (not one I was expecting anything from anyway) ... at least my interview request today softens the blow :D

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 pm

adonai wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Mail rejection from a state CoA judge. It was really nice, just said he wasn't accepting 1Ls this summer, but sucks none the less.
Got a couple of these too the other day. They're surprisingly very polite about it.
Yeah, I kind of thought it would be like every other kind of job where people don't care enough to tell you they don't want you.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:
adonai wrote:
Yeah, I kind of thought it would be like every other kind of job where people don't care enough to tell you they don't want you.
It usually is. I applied to about 140 judges, and only ever got responses (both interview requests and rejections) from maybe 50.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:54 pm

kaiser wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
adonai wrote:
It usually is. I applied to about 140 judges, and only ever got responses (both interview requests and rejections) from maybe 50.
Haha, thanks for bringing us back to the harsh reality of life.

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Interview request from a federal district court judge today! Woo! Might as well pretty much stop studying for finals right!? :roll:

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm

adonai wrote: Haha, thanks for bringing us back to the harsh reality of life.
Not too bad when you think about it though. The only ones that matter are the ones that invite you in for interviews. Of those 50 responses, I was able to line up about 10 interviews with various federal and state supreme court judges. The fact that I had something like 90 responses pending didn't really matter at that point. Just give it time though. By January, I had all of 1 interview lined up, and in February and early March, a flood of calls started coming in since this is when a large chunk of judges get serious about hiring interns.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Anyone hear anything either way from a NY big law firm? I keep getting antsy that I haven't heard a peep by now (5 days later... lol), but then I realized that you all might be hearing from secondary market firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

I am trying to think strategy now. I have five firm interviews lined up when I go home. They are all roughly the same week. I am wondering what my strategy should be to definitely land at least one. If I get no offered after getting five interviews I will be really upset.

1. Should I mention I am interviewing at other firms (two of the recruiters have already asked)?
2. Should I go balls out at each one and just take the first one that offers me?
3. Should I try to see where I would be the best fit?
4. Should I use vault or chambers guides to judge the financial health or prestige of the firms and choose from that?

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Real stupid question, but does anyone know if judge and justice are generally interchangeable? I always thought higher court judges were always referred to as justices, and trial courts were judges. I did a search and could not find the answer to this anywhere.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

adonai wrote:Real stupid question, but does anyone know if judge and justice are generally interchangeable? I always thought higher court judges were always referred to as justices, and trial courts were judges. I did a search and could not find the answer to this anywhere.
They are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the title right.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
adonai wrote:Real stupid question, but does anyone know if judge and justice are generally interchangeable? I always thought higher court judges were always referred to as justices, and trial courts were judges. I did a search and could not find the answer to this anywhere.
So on the federal level, who are judges and who are justices?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm

No they are not the same. Our school actually gives us sheets explaining how to refer to judges/justices at each level here. Check to see if your school has the same.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:41 pm

adonai wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
I'm pretty sure all federal district court and COA are judges, and the SCOTUS are justices.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
adonai wrote: So on the federal level, who are judges and who are justices?
I'm pretty sure all federal district court and COA are judges, and the SCOTUS are justices.
Yeah. Be careful though - at least in CA, state COA are Justices.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
adonai wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Oh wow, I am in quite a pickle now :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Exactly. You're always better off just double-checking if you're unsure.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Exactly. You're always better off just double-checking if you're unsure.
I read somewhere that fed. coa judges were referred to as justices so I followed that. Did some more research just now and saw that most are referred to as judges. How screwed am I?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 pm

adonai wrote: I read somewhere that fed. coa judges were referred to as justices so I followed that. Did some more research just now and saw that most are referred to as judges. How screwed am I?
I guess it depends on how much that annoys the specific judge. It probably happens a lot. I would just forget about that app though and send out more, just to be sure.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Just got an undergrad transcript request from my dream firm (In a major market)!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”