The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue May 22, 2012 1:19 am

tedalbany wrote:Is the rule with Judicial Internships to dress like the clerks? When I went to interview the clerks were all business casual I think, but the judges were all in suits (obviously). Should I wear business casual, or play it safe in a suit?
Definitely show up in a suit on day one, unless they specifically told you to wear something less dressy.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 am

tedalbany wrote:Is the rule with Judicial Internships to dress like the clerks? When I went to interview the clerks were all business casual I think, but the judges were all in suits (obviously). Should I wear business casual, or play it safe in a suit?
I'm suiting up day 1. I expect the rest of the summer to be business casual though.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 am

Ask them directly. Mine interviewed me in business casual, but the guidelines they sent by e-mail require business formal except Fridays (when my interview was). In any event, if you want to guess, guess high and be wrong, not the other way around.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am

:lol: Just got a rejection from an application I sent on December 1. It was an extremely nice letter, but so lulzy that it's so late.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 pm

piccolittle wrote:I hate to give away one of my job search secrets, but if you guys haven't looked at lawstudentjobs.net yet you should give it a shot - it aggregates legal intern job listings, and they're still posting more jobs almost every day.

To the jobless anon: have you tried looking outside of DC? I know DC can be kind of a tough market, especially as it's so small and there are so many schools there.

Yeah, I definitely check that site everyday. I've looked at 3 cities outside of DC where I can live without an income. It's kind of tough. I just had an interview today, and am waiting on word from two other government agencies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Just nabbed my job for the summer. Production/Music Company w/pay. I'll have some interaction with their Outside Counsel also - Greenberg Traurig - stoked. Hopefully that translates into OCI or something. KEEP plugging away for those who havent secured something yet!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Dany wrote:lol just got a rejection email from a place I applied to in like January (and hadn't heard a peep from them since besides an 'application received' email).
CFPB?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Dany wrote:lol just got a rejection email from a place I applied to in like January (and hadn't heard a peep from them since besides an 'application received' email).
CFPB?
lol yup! Did you get one too?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu May 24, 2012 2:23 am

Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
CFPB?
Yeah I just got a rejection snail mail from a firm I applied to in December...

It just seems unprofessional at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu May 24, 2012 2:28 am

shoeshine wrote:
Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
CFPB?
Yeah I just got a rejection snail mail from a firm I applied to in December...

It just seems unprofessional at this point.
late news is still news, I guess. That means if you want to work for that firm/govt. agency, send in your resume & cover letter now for 2L SA. with that five month turn around time, your call back will be right on schedule with other firms.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 am

Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
CFPB?
Yup. Forgot I had applied.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm

on the flip side, i continue to receive emails from a job offer that i turned down months ago telling me about things i need to do before my start date. even more fun, the emails aren't bcc'd, so everyone has decided to reply all and chat.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat May 26, 2012 1:48 pm

fatduck wrote:on the flip side, i continue to receive emails from a job offer that i turned down months ago telling me about things i need to do before my start date. even more fun, the emails aren't bcc'd, so everyone has decided to reply all and chat.
Maybe they will send you a paycheck regardless? :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:on the flip side, i continue to receive emails from a job offer that i turned down months ago telling me about things i need to do before my start date. even more fun, the emails aren't bcc'd, so everyone has decided to reply all and chat.
Maybe they will send you a paycheck regardless? :mrgreen:
unpaid, or i wouldn't have turned it down :P

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue May 29, 2012 3:13 am

How should I add a summer position that I haven't started yet to my resume? Should I add any bullet points below the heading? Also, is there a "correct" choice between using "summer 2012" as my date or using "June-August 2012" instead?

thanks!

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:34 pm

thegrayman wrote:How should I add a summer position that I haven't started yet to my resume? Should I add any bullet points below the heading? Also, is there a "correct" choice between using "summer 2012" as my date or using "June-August 2012" instead?

thanks!
Just add it like you would for a job you have already done (so the same format) except don't put any bullet points. You shouldn't put any bullet points until you actually start the job since you don't know for sure exactly what you'll be doing. I would use June-August 2012 but whatever you do keep it consistent with how you describe the time frames for other things on your resume.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:47 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 am

don't be discouraged, i feel equally stupid. it took me an entire week to research for a motion to dismiss, because the topic is something i've never touched in class. i'm surrounded by people who are from t14 schools (i'm not at one), and i really wonder if they know their stuff better than i do or if they're just bluffing it.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 am

Same here. Was basically given a huge case file and told to write an opinion. Don't even know if what I'm doing is right.

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:42 am

adonai wrote:Same here. Was basically given a huge case file and told to write an opinion. Don't even know if what I'm doing is right.
Me too. Feel like I'm going to get canned at any minute.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:54 pm

adonai wrote:Same here. Was basically given a huge case file and told to write an opinion. Don't even know if what I'm doing is right.
I think that's pretty awesome. I am at a firm and I think everything I work on is for internal use only. I would love to write something that becomes a part of the record.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heregoesnothing1

New

Post by heregoesnothing1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 am

Great thread. Bookmarking for December 1, 2017.

One question - what about JD advantage jobs during 1L semester? Like lobbying/consulting or non-profit work that isn't directly legal?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”