The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Deadline today for a PI. Waiting on another employer, have been in contact with them and they indicated a decision today(when I spoke with them earlier today).

Getting really nervous though, the last thing I want is to wait too long and have the PI be out of the office. Obviously I'll call the PI to accept before 5, but I wonder if I should even wait that long? Any input appreciated

EDIT: Obviously (or perhaps not obviously) I don't want to be overly pushy, but I wonder if it'd be appropriate to call back around 3:30 and ask if there's an update?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Bump on the question about the intermediate appellate state court. Anyone know if this is a good experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:57 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sent my cover letter/resume to a firm, via email got an offer to have lunch with 2 attorneys from that office over spring break. Is this a typical way for firms to vet potential 1L SA's? also anyone have any insight into these type of meetings?
For my limited 1L SA interviews, it followed standard screener-->callback format. When's your spring break? That seems sorta late.
March 12-16. I applied last friday, got a response yesterday, then 5 back/forth emails and about an hour later had the meeting.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm

For those who have received offers, about how long after your interview did you get it? I had my first interview last week and am impatiently waiting to hear back so I can stop looking for jobs :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sent my cover letter/resume to a firm, via email got an offer to have lunch with 2 attorneys from that office over spring break. Is this a typical way for firms to vet potential 1L SA's? also anyone have any insight into these type of meetings?
For my limited 1L SA interviews, it followed standard screener-->callback format. When's your spring break? That seems sorta late.
March 12-16. I applied last friday, got a response yesterday, then 5 back/forth emails and about an hour later had the meeting.
It honestly feels more like a meet and greet rather than an interview. Maybe it is an interview, but I'm guessing that you're already out of the running for the 1L SA and that it's more of a networking opportunity.

In my limited experience the only thing other than screener-->callback was unsolicited grade request through our resume book-->callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am

Any updates on Jones Day DC? I think they're done with screeners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

I haven't been following this thread religiously... just wanted to post an update from the midwest.

Had a callback at Shook, Hardy & Bacon in KC, have two more lined up at other big KC firms.

Anyone else? Curious who's in the running for these.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't been following this thread religiously... just wanted to post an update from the midwest.

Had a callback at Shook, Hardy & Bacon in KC, have two more lined up at other big KC firms.

Had SHB callback, have another big firm callback coming up soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I haven't been following this thread religiously... just wanted to post an update from the midwest.

Good luck! Colleen told me the hiring committee won't be getting together until the end of this month. What was your impression of the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck! Colleen told me the hiring committee won't be getting together until the end of this month. What was your impression of the firm?
Same to you!

My impression of the firm was great. KC is my target market, and Shook is a powerhouse within its niche. Probably my top choice firm overall. Even if I don't get it this summer, it will be high on my list for next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same to you!

My impression of the firm was great. KC is my target market, and Shook is a powerhouse within its niche. Probably my top choice firm overall. Even if I don't get it this summer, it will be high on my list for next year.
What school do you all go to? I had callbacks at Husch and Shook in December (I'm from KC and go to school ranked 15-20 so was not in the area otherwise). I'm still waiting to hear back.

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 pm

HWS08 wrote:For those who have received offers, about how long after your interview did you get it? I had my first interview last week and am impatiently waiting to hear back so I can stop looking for jobs :)
About 3 weeks. I think it was 19 or 20 days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 pm

HWS08 wrote:For those who have received offers, about how long after your interview did you get it? I had my first interview last week and am impatiently waiting to hear back so I can stop looking for jobs :)
It depends on the person/place you are interviewing with. Some places will offer you right after the interview, some will take a week, some will take longer. It's impossible to give a definitive answer to this question since it varies so widely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:34 pm

some give instant offers if they've already made up their minds about you. i've also been told 3 weeks from some law firms that were still in the midst of interviewing.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

a job

i has one

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Same to you!

What school do you all go to? I had callbacks at Husch and Shook in December (I'm from KC and go to school ranked 15-20 so was not in the area otherwise). I'm still waiting to hear back.
Anon from this quote. School is MVPB, KC native. Did Husch tell you when they would be making decisions? They're the callback I have coming up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Same to you!

Anon from this quote. School is MVPB, KC native. Did Husch tell you when they would be making decisions? They're the callback I have coming up.
Sometime in the next few weeks, but didn't get an exact timeframe. Sounds like they plan on hiring quite a few (3-5) 1Ls though (If I remember the number right).

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm

acrossthelake wrote: I've been missing a fair amount of class for interviews and I'm a little worried about it. I have one last interview/callback, I think, unless Place 3 somehow comes through. I'm looking forward to being done.
I feel you on this. I have one more callback tomorrow, but others may still come. I hope to be done like last week, but still have to keep pursuing. I have no public interest offers like you, but a professor did ask me to be a RA, so I guess I am not completely in limbo.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Having something lined up for fall but not for summer is a weird feeling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Has anyone heard back after CBs at Jones Day DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back after CBs at Jones Day DC?
i suspect yes given that rejection emails have been sent out for other offices already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Had screener last week but no word on call back / rejection.

If you got a CB, what were your stats (school range, rank, WE)? Also, how soon after the screener did you find out about the CB?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Place 1:Passed screener, at callback stage. Waiting to hear back after callback.
Place 2:Had screener, waiting to hear on callback. Waiting to hear back after callback.
Place 3: Grade request, there is no screener stage, will hear on interviewing soon by Friday, I assume ding?.
Place 4: Interview in 2 weeksthis week. Offer, have about 2 weeks to decide.
At Place 5 & 6, I've survived rounds of dings, but haven't heard anything either way. Dinged.
Silenceat Place 7, supposed to find out todayWaiting to hear back after interview.
Silence at Place 8, supposed to find out by the 15th Waiting to hear back after interview.
New Place 9: Waiting to hear back after screener. Callback.
New Place 10: Waiting to hear after interview.
Got an offer from PI-related organization today. I really care about the issues I'd be working on, but it'd be more administrative, with about no legal research & writing. Unfortunately, I can't split it with a fair # of other things because I'd be conflicted out. I've been missing a fair amount of class for interviews and I'm a little worried about it. I have one last interview/callback, I think, unless Place 3 somehow comes through. I'm looking forward to being done.
Not that your asking for advice, but, I'd decide against less-legal jobs your first summer if you ever want to be a lawyer. I was offered a few, but realized I needed some actual legal experience. I now have it, and this summer I'll be working in a less-legal capacity about issues I'm passionate about. Even this mostly non-legal employer seemed to want to see that I had legal research and writing skills, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”