The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 am

Job offer from a judge. Thinking I should take it but there is a federal level judge who wanted to see grades (interview went well there, I think, but obviosuly no guarantees and no guarantee grades will be good enough). Wondering what to do.

Advice?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Job offer from a judge. Thinking I should take it but there is a federal level judge who wanted to see grades (interview went well there, I think, but obviosuly no guarantees and no guarantee grades will be good enough). Wondering what to do.

Advice?
So this is a state judge? When will your grades be out? When will the offer expire?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 am

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Job offer from a judge. Thinking I should take it but there is a federal level judge who wanted to see grades (interview went well there, I think, but obviosuly no guarantees and no guarantee grades will be good enough). Wondering what to do.

Advice?
So this is a state judge? When will your grades be out? When will the offer expire?
Yes, state judge. Grades should be out the day the offer expires.

estopped

New

Post by estopped » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 am

I just got invited to an interview for a mid-size firm in New England. It asks that I contact the Recruiting Coordinator/Manager to schedule the interview for which I will need to travel. I have called them a few times today, but there is always a message that says they are in the office but busy. Is it all right for me to e-mail them with my availability? It didn't specify phone - but I figured it is more personal and that would be better.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:11 pm

estopped wrote:I just got invited to an interview for a mid-size firm in New England. It asks that I contact the Recruiting Coordinator/Manager to schedule the interview for which I will need to travel. I have called them a few times today, but there is always a message that says they are in the office but busy. Is it all right for me to e-mail them with my availability? It didn't specify phone - but I figured it is more personal and that would be better.
Congrats! I imagine email will be fine. If you prefer phone, though, call during regular business hours. Recruiting coordinators may sometimes work during the weekend but I imagine most prefer not to take calls when they do, particularly since their secretaries are most likely off and therefore can't screen the calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Had a few interviews with firms over break for 1L SA positions. However, grades are out and they are way below median. Is it even worth it to send grades to firms, knowing that there's no way they would hire me after seeing them? (go to T14, not that it matters). Almost too embarrassed to send them and would rather just be rejected for not sending grades than be rejected after they see my shitty grades.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a few interviews with firms over break. However, grades are out and they are way below median. Is it even worth it to send grades to firms, knowing that there's no way they would hire me after seeing them? (go to T14, not that it matters). Almost too embarrassed to send them and would rather just be rejected for not sending grades than be rejected after they see my shitty grades.
Send it to one and see what happens. Depends on the school and market, they may still recruit you just because. I guess if your grades don't improve that market is your best shot, so tread lightly. I almost think it's better to follow up than not so as to not close any doors. But you can move slowly.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a few interviews with firms over break for 1L SA positions. However, grades are out and they are way below median. Is it even worth it to send grades to firms, knowing that there's no way they would hire me after seeing them? (go to T14, not that it matters). Almost too embarrassed to send them and would rather just be rejected for not sending grades than be rejected after they see my shitty grades.
I think it is probably worth it just for 2L OCI even if you are probably out this summer. Even if your grades disqualify you for those firms right now, you might do better next semester. You don't want to be that person that they just never heard back from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a few interviews with firms over break. However, grades are out and they are way below median. Is it even worth it to send grades to firms, knowing that there's no way they would hire me after seeing them? (go to T14, not that it matters). Almost too embarrassed to send them and would rather just be rejected for not sending grades than be rejected after they see my shitty grades.
Send it to one and see what happens. Depends on the school and market, they may still recruit you just because. I guess if your grades don't improve that market is your best shot, so tread lightly. I almost think it's better to follow up than not so as to not close any doors. But you can move slowly.
Thanks r6_philly. Do you think its worth it to add, in the e-mail, something to the effect of: I'm meeting with professors to go over what I did wrong, and believe that I will do better next semester? Or is that unnecessary, and I should just send the grades without saying anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:20 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a few interviews with firms over break for 1L SA positions. However, grades are out and they are way below median. Is it even worth it to send grades to firms, knowing that there's no way they would hire me after seeing them? (go to T14, not that it matters). Almost too embarrassed to send them and would rather just be rejected for not sending grades than be rejected after they see my shitty grades.
I think it is probably worth it just for 2L OCI even if you are probably out this summer. Even if your grades disqualify you for those firms right now, you might do better next semester. You don't want to be that person that they just never heard back from.
Thanks AreJay711. My interviews were with firms in my hometown secondary market. I'm just worried that they'll remember my terrible grades from first semester and it'll leave a bad impression in their minds during 2L OCI, even if my grades improve.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Thanks r6_philly. Do you think its worth it to add, in the e-mail, something to the effect of: I'm meeting with professors to go over what I did wrong, and believe that I will do better next semester? Or is that unnecessary, and I should just send the grades without saying anything?
I wouldn't necessarily go that much in detail, but more to the effect of I understand the result is not optimal but I am trying very hard to learn from the mistakes and try to improve on next semester. Be positive, try to make the best out of your situation. Which is why contact them may be the better move.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Thanks r6_philly. Do you think its worth it to add, in the e-mail, something to the effect of: I'm meeting with professors to go over what I did wrong, and believe that I will do better next semester? Or is that unnecessary, and I should just send the grades without saying anything?
I wouldn't necessarily go that much in detail, but more to the effect of I understand the result is not optimal but I am trying very hard to learn from the mistakes and try to improve on next semester. Be positive, try to make the best out of your situation. Which is why contact them may be the better move.
That sounds good. Thank you for your help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 pm

uggggh. got a rejection from the state CoA justice who requested my grades. It says that they "generally don't accept first year applicants" even though my "credentials and resume" make me a "strong candidate." His assistant then encourages me to apply again next year. If my grades won't even help me get something then I'm fucked. If you don't accept first year applicants, don't request my grades and get my hopes up. I feel like he is really just saying "it's not you, it's me," even though that really means, "you really just suck."

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:uggggh. got a rejection from the state CoA justice who requested my grades. It says that they "generally don't accept first year applicants" even though my "credentials and resume" make me a "strong candidate." His assistant then encourages me to apply again next year. If my grades won't even help me get something then I'm fucked. If you don't accept first year applicants, don't request my grades and get my hopes up. I feel like he is really just saying "it's not you, it's me," even though that really means, "you really just suck."
Fucking lame. Sorry sf.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Thanks r6_philly. Do you think its worth it to add, in the e-mail, something to the effect of: I'm meeting with professors to go over what I did wrong, and believe that I will do better next semester? Or is that unnecessary, and I should just send the grades without saying anything?
I totally disagree. They don't care about you or your progress. They may possibly care about your grades, but the fact that you plan to work on them is unlikely to make a difference to them. Just ignore it unless they ask you about it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 pm

delusional wrote: I totally disagree. They don't care about you or your progress. They may possibly care about your grades, but the fact that you plan to work on them is unlikely to make a difference to them. Just ignore it unless they ask you about it.
It's not about whether or not they care. It's about how you market yourself. But ok.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
delusional wrote: I totally disagree. They don't care about you or your progress. They may possibly care about your grades, but the fact that you plan to work on them is unlikely to make a difference to them. Just ignore it unless they ask you about it.
It's not about whether or not they care. It's about how you market yourself. But ok.
and sending them terrible grades is a good way to market yourself. ok

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
r6_philly wrote: It's not about whether or not they care. It's about how you market yourself. But ok.
When they are going to see it eventually on your transcript, yes. What are you going to do, hide from your 1L grades? Employers like people who can admit they failed and have a plan/desire to do something about it (other than hiding or finding excuses).

But like I said. Okay.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
r6_philly wrote: It's not about whether or not they care. It's about how you market yourself. But ok.
When they are going to see it eventually on your transcript, yes. What are you going to do, hide from your 1L grades? Employers like people who can admit they failed and have a plan/desire to do something about it (other than hiding or finding excuses).

But like I said. Okay.
This is the right approach. Falling off the face of the earth to hide your grades is a terrible idea. You have to spin it to the best of your ability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Different anon but similar situation. GPA is above a 3.0 but way below median at MVP. A close family member died right before the start of law school. It really affected me, and I could not pull myself together to study this past semester. I was also significantly distracted by the settling of the estate, which I participated in from thousands of miles away. I did not study at all for some of my finals. I don't like making excuses for poor performance, but at the same time, I don't want the firms I interviewed at to think that those grades were the best I could do. Is it worth mentioning the death, or is it better to send the grades without explanation? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Basically I know for sure I want to work at a firm in New York City after I graduate.
Would it be more helpful for later purpose that I find an internship in NYC then? or do employers not care much even if I work at, say, Hawaii DA's office (arguendo, not that I will be lol)
Any thoughts?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Basically I know for sure I want to work at a firm in New York City after I graduate.
Would it be more helpful for later purpose that I find an internship in NYC then? or do employers not care much even if I work at, say, Hawaii DA's office (arguendo, not that I will be lol)
Any thoughts?
Geography matters. Working over the summer in a place where you ultimately want to end up after graduation, especially if it is a place different from where your school is or where you're from, is important for starting to establish those ties and show you're committed to living in that area. There are also some types of work which are more preferable then others, like a firm job or a judicial internship over being an RA.

Also, the fact that you used the bolded makes me think you suck. A snap judgment, but there it is.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Any thoughts?
Geography matters. Working over the summer in a place where you ultimately want to end up after graduation, especially if it is a place different from where your school is or where you're from, is important for starting to establish those ties and show you're committed to living in that area. There are also some types of work which are more preferable then others, like a firm job or a judicial internship over being an RA.

Also, the fact that you used the bolded makes me think you suck. A snap judgment, but there it is.
lol that was my initial reaction as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply though I feel compelled to ask if you are an undergraduate as indicated on your profile (sorry, I looked).
Not sure if its just me but getting an internship in NY is quite competitive...

By the way I dont understand whats so wrong about using the bolded term? lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”