The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lwoods

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.
Why didn't you call? Scheduling interviews over the phone is 100x easier than over e-mail.
I got the e-mail on Friday, but I was at my internship until 5 and wasn't sure of my schedule. Called on Saturday, but the recruiting manager was not available over the weekend. I didn't want to leave three days without hearing from me. :/
You'll be fine. These people are busy, and scheduling your interview is not at the top of their priority list. If you don't hear by 4pm Wednesday (for the firm's timezone), call at that time. Any sooner would seem pushy, I feel.
Recruiting coordinators do work on evenings and weekends sometimes, but scheduling interviews is not be something they would do outside of normal business hours.

I totally get why you felt an urgency to contact them over the weekend because this is a stressful and exciting process. However, for future reference for anyone looking at this: count in business days, not in actual days. If phone is the best/easiest way to get something done, call during regular business hours. A Monday response to a Friday inquiry is totally appropriate when scheduling an interview. The recruiting coordinator is not spending her weekend wondering if you got her message. She's either enjoying her weekend or doing another part of her job.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

NYC Law wrote:Looks like I have a Federal Judicial Internship. It'll be split between District/BK/Mag judges
This is fucking awesome, and a fantastic way to view different courts/judges style (and a nice preview for when you're a clerk!)

Congrats!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.
Why didn't you call? Scheduling interviews over the phone is 100x easier than over e-mail.
I got the e-mail on Friday, but I was at my internship until 5 and wasn't sure of my schedule. Called on Saturday, but the recruiting manager was not available over the weekend. I didn't want to leave three days without hearing from me. :/
You seem clingy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Has anyone else had no luck so far with federal judges? I'm at a T14 and applied about 3 weeks ago. It's one of the most competitive districts, but I applied to every COA, district, magistrate, and bankruptcy judge. I've heard from maybe 10% via email/mail all saying they've either hired already or are not hiring for this summer. Otherwise, no calls or even a grade request.

I had my cover letter and resume looked over by career services, and thought my writing sample was fine. No grades sent when I mass mailed, but good work experience that should set me apart from most other applicants.

Is the timetable just longer than all the "I got my offer in December" posts make it seem? I haven't applied to any PI or government jobs because my resume is corporate-focused and I have zero interest in PI or government. Not URM either, so SA is probably out. Other than waiting until later in the semester and hoping an RA position opens up, I'm not sure what to do.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else had no luck so far with federal judges? I'm at a T14 and applied about 3 weeks ago. It's one of the most competitive districts,.
thats your problem

start applying EVERYWHERE.

this goes for 1L and 2L employment. when you get the interview and they ask you to explain the connection, then you can sweat it out. in the meantime, be relentless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 pm

What's standard interview protocol for people applying to a judge or non-firm job a long ways away?

Is it automatically expected that you will fly there to interview?

Do you bring up the phone interview option or just go with the flow?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

drmguy wrote:What's standard interview protocol for people applying to a judge or non-firm job a long ways away?

Is it automatically expected that you will fly there to interview?

Do you bring up the phone interview option or just go with the flow?
Depends on the employer. Several of the places I have applied to have specifically stated that they expect in-person interviews. However, I am sure that there are certain places that would be okay with phone or Skype. If they didn't specify I don't see the harm in at least inquiring as to whether a phone interview is a possibility.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am

meg5096 wrote:
Breathe. Breathe. They'll get back to you. Also, did you really try to schedule an interview for a weekend?
seriously, dude

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:53 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm

So I just had a phone screen, and the recruiter mentioned that she googled me and facebooked me. I was like, "yeah, there's not a lot on me out there on the web." She then asked if I could give her the link to my linkedin profile (which I don't even have) or my facebook profile :shock:

WTF.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Guchster wrote:So I just had a phone screen, and the recruiter mentioned that she googled me and facebooked me. I was like, "yeah, there's not a lot on me out there on the web." She then asked if I could give her the link to my linkedin profile (which I don't even have) or my facebook profile :shock:

WTF.
Fucking weird that they were that straightforward about wanting to stalk you.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Guchster wrote:So I just had a phone screen, and the recruiter mentioned that she googled me and facebooked me. I was like, "yeah, there's not a lot on me out there on the web." She then asked if I could give her the link to my linkedin profile (which I don't even have) or my facebook profile :shock:

WTF.
At that point, I think that would be indicative of the type of culture the place has and I'd probably lose all interest.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm

WTF.
Best part. Because I have ass burgers, I gave it to her. LOLLZ!

(While all you can see on my public profile are items you could see on my resume, firm probably has both legit (i.e., relationship with facebook or some crazy company) or illegit (asking for common friends to send shit) of finding stuff out. Meh ).

ETA: I should've given her my TLS profile link! HOLY SHIT. Imagine, I'd be banned for life from the work place entirely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Guchster wrote:

WTF.

(While all you can see on my public profile are items you could see on my resume, firm probably has both legit (i.e., relationship with facebook or some crazy company) or illegit (asking for common friends to send shit) of finding stuff out. Meh ).

ETA: I should've given her my TLS profile link! HOLY SHIT. Imagine, I'd be banned for life from the work place entirly for my fucktastically, stupid ways.
OMG, this is freaking me out

Ofta3184

New

Post by Ofta3184 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Guchster wrote:

WTF.

ETA: I should've given her my TLS profile link! HOLY SHIT. Imagine, I'd be banned for life from the work place entirely.
she's probably reading through all 216 of your TLS posts now too!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm

WTF.
lol that's pretty weird. better make your privacy settings really strict right now.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

WTF.
Clear anti-Google+/Twitter trolling on her part.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Ofta3184 wrote: she's probably reading through all 216 of your TLS posts now too!
LOL! I bet during the follow up she's going to call me out on some of my more disruptive poasts. Or ask me to elaborate on teh diassasster of last nights lawschoolwebsitehiring.com drama bomb.

ilovesf wrote: lol that's pretty weird. better make your privacy settings really strict right now.
Good reminder. I'm going to double check the shit out of my facebook profile--temporarily removing all functionality for everyone except for me.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Guchster wrote: Best part. Because I have ass burgers, I gave it to her. LOLLZ!

You should have told them that you're a member of the Lemon Party if they'd like to research your political leanings. (DO NOT GOOGLE THIS AT WORK).

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

bk187 wrote:

WTF.
I actually made a fake twitter just because I thought employers would expect me to have one. It says things like: Today is the first day of winter. or Crest Whitening toothpaste really whitens.

Now I need to make a fake facebook that says the same nonsense.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:26 pm

cinephile wrote:
bk187 wrote:

WTF.
I actually made a fake twitter just because I thought employers would expect me to have one. It says things like: Today is the first day of winter. or Crest Whitening toothpaste really whitens.

This is pretty pathetic, both for you, but more so for society.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 pm

cinephile wrote:
bk187 wrote:

WTF.

Damn. Should've done this.

Smart advice though for OCI/EIP in the fall. *runs off to make fake twitter/facebook/linkedIn(LOLWTF!!!) profiles.*

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Guchster wrote:
cinephile wrote:
bk187 wrote:

WTF.

Damn. Should've done this.

Smart advice though for OCI/EIP in the fall. *runs off to make fake twitter/facebook/linkedIn(LOLWTF!!!) profiles.*

But seriously what is linkedin and why would any lazy 1L have one?
Last edited by Guchster on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Flips88 wrote:
cinephile wrote:

This is pretty pathetic, both for you, but more so for society.
:lol: Thanks.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Guchster wrote: Best part. Because I have ass burgers, I gave it to her. LOLLZ!

You should have told them that you're a member of the Lemon Party if they'd like to research your political leanings. (DO NOT GOOGLE THIS AT WORK).

damn. you. to. hell. for this :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”