The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
orderofthings

New

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by orderofthings » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Can anybody speak to how valuable an experience with a city's department of law would be? How about for OCI? Thanks.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Again, aside from something super awesome (like an SA+offer) or something super terrible (non-legal job), OCI firms aren't really going to care. It's all about how you can spin it in an interview. That sounds perfectly fine.

I mean, if you have a ton of offers sure some jobs might be more interesting or cooler than others. But if you're just wondering whether or not to take that job, it will be fine. Which is basically to say - it's exactly as valuable as you can make it sound in an interview.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 pm

How about a small law firm? I have nothing against them (in fact, used to work in a small litigation boutique before law school, and by small I mean 10-15 attys). But it looks ok for OCI? I am not too proud to take any job, believe me, I'm just worried about an interviewer at OCI looking down their nose at me.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

I mean, by all means, ask actual attorneys if you're worried. I'm just repeating what the attorneys I know told me, and that is that you can sell nearly anything in an OCI interview. It's all about spin. Furthermore, they know the job market is tough, and I can't imagine they'd look down their nose at you for any legal job.

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Dany wrote:Again, aside from something super awesome (like an SA+offer) or something super terrible (non-legal job), OCI firms aren't really going to care. It's all about how you can spin it in an interview. That sounds perfectly fine.

I mean, if you have a ton of offers sure some jobs might be more interesting or cooler than others. But if you're just wondering whether or not to take that job, it will be fine. Which is basically to say - it's exactly as valuable as you can make it sound in an interview.
Thanks for the input. My understanding is working in a city's department of law is basically a public interest job, which I have no interest in as a career. I know interviewers for OCI sometimes worry about "public interest people" so I'm kinda afraid of that hurting me come August, but I suppose it's simply how I spin it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

The days of tons of 1Ls getting firm jobs their first summer are pretty much over, and firms know that. I'm 100% set on working for a firm post-graduation, and I'll almost certainly be doing PI this summer. I think it's extremely common for 1L summer, and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. But again, don't take my word for it - ask attorneys you know or alums from your school and see what they say.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:11 pm

The day after I accept an offer, 3 others come in and another tells me that I'll have an answer by friday lol. Might renege hard as shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm somewhat concerned about an RA position as well. It's with a corporate prof, but I heard the same negative remarks from career services. On the other hand, I'm interested in corporate law and, after going through 1L and legal writing, would almost rather go back to my old career if litigation was the only option.

As such, judicial internships and PI/gov hold absolutely zero interest to me. My grades were below what I heard to be the high cutoffs for 1L SAs, so I didn't apply much there. I plan to spin my prior work experience and corporate interest into why I went with an RA. I also obviously interviewed well based on my prior career, which also happens to be a much more similar environment to a law firm than a judicial chambers. I hope to sell all of this in the 20 minute screeners. Anyway, that's my view from someone else taking an RA job.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:46 pm

orderofthings wrote:
Dany wrote:Again, aside from something super awesome (like an SA+offer) or something super terrible (non-legal job), OCI firms aren't really going to care. It's all about how you can spin it in an interview. That sounds perfectly fine.

Thanks for the input. My understanding is working in a city's department of law is basically a public interest job, which I have no interest in as a career. I know interviewers for OCI sometimes worry about "public interest people" so I'm kinda afraid of that hurting me come August, but I suppose it's simply how I spin it.
It all depends on the kind of work they have you do. I have an internship with a city law department and will be in the real estate and land use. I also get to call myself a summer associate 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 am

AreJay711 wrote:The day after I accept an offer, 3 others come in and another tells me that I'll have an answer by friday lol. Might renege hard as shit.
Couldn't this fuck you over with your school's CSO?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am

My bad fucking up the anon feature, that last post was mine.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 am

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am

Yeah, you can check out the poasts ITT about advice against reneging.

Be very careful and be sure it doesn't screw you over more long term than the benefits you gain for the short term 1L summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:58 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:My bad fucking up the anon feature, that last post was mine.
Np, I'll fix it. Happens all the time with the Anon Reply where "Reply" normally is.
Relocate the button slightly to the left/put some space between the two. I think this happens way too much.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:The day after I accept an offer, 3 others come in and another tells me that I'll have an answer by friday lol. Might renege hard as shit.
Couldn't this fuck you over with your school's CSO?
If they found out..... :lol:

I'm not actually going to do it though. I'm just kind of bummed that it was literally less than 24 hours after I accepted but I'd have taken this job over those just based on location anyway.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:My bad fucking up the anon feature, that last post was mine.
Np, I'll fix it. Happens all the time with the Anon Reply where "Reply" normally is.
Relocate the button slightly to the left/put some space between the two. I think this happens way too much.
I'm assuming it's something the software developers would have to do, rather than anything the mods/admins could do.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 am

r6_philly wrote:Relocate the button slightly to the left/put some space between the two. I think this happens way too much.
I don't think I've ever done it. Granted it's probably more likely for someone who rarely posts in the employment subforum since the anonquote is in the place where the regquote normally is.

Also I'm pretty sure birdlaw's right and that it is a limitation of phpBB.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 am

bk187 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Relocate the button slightly to the left/put some space between the two. I think this happens way too much.
I don't think I've ever done it. Granted it's probably more likely for someone who rarely posts in the employment subforum since the anonquote is in the place where the regquote normally is.

Also I'm pretty sure birdlaw's right and that it is a limitation of phpBB.
You just have to add 1 line of code to 1 file in phpBB and it doesn't affect anything else. The posting form is a static template that's easily editable. I run phpBB for my client and I modded throughout, this is easily done. If it is a big nuisance, point me to the power to be, and I offer to help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 pm

I received a random email from a top 100 firm that I applied to last fall asking to set up a conference call. I was rejected in the fall.

What could this call with only 1 partner (the partner that heads the practice group that I want to work for) possibly be about? Is this going to be an offer?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a random email from a top 100 firm that I applied to last fall asking to set up a conference call. I was rejected in the fall.

What could this call with only 1 partner (the partner that heads the practice group that I want to work for) possibly be about? Is this going to be an offer?

did you have a callback? firm probably wants to make sure you maintain interest in it. Might be an invitation to do a 2L callback.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 am

so who here still has nothing? can i haz jerb? :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 am

adonai wrote:so who here still has nothing? can i haz jerb? :oops:
Sup? Awkward jobless brofist.

Last edited by Dany on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am

moot
Last edited by Guchster on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:41 am

Dany wrote:
adonai wrote:so who here still has nothing? can i haz jerb? :oops:
Sup? Awkward jobless brofist.

Totally uncalled for.

fogcue2

New

Post by fogcue2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 am

While SEC as a 2L seems to be a terrible idea at least in combined TLS opinion. How does it look as a 1L? I'm actually interested in securities litigation and have prior w/e in the investment industry. Only catch on this offer is that it's for the Salt Lake City office (my 2nd choice for location) and I'm weighing it against a small public interest organization in San Diego. I'm hoping to get back to SoCal from a BC/BU/GW/ND but have very strong ties to the region (family, UD school, and w/e before school). Have grades that should at least get me big law interviews as long as I repeat or don't drop drastically next semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”