The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYC Law

Gold

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by NYC Law » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:29 am

Last week I saw shoeshine arguing with my professor outside the door over the inherent theory of failure to warn products liability and the necessity of regulatory compliance as a defense to punitive damages. Shoeshine isn't even in my section.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:03 am

Shoeshine stole my pecan pie.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:06 am

NYC Law wrote:Last week I saw shoeshine arguing with my professor outside the door over the inherent theory of failure to warn products liability and the necessity of regulatory compliance as a defense to punitive damages. Shoeshine isn't even in my section.
Two weeks into the semester shoeshine walked into my con law class, handed the prof. a bunch of papers and said, "I rewrote the Constitution the correct way. Start teaching"

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:07 am

chimp wrote:Shoeshine stole my pecan pie.
Shoeshine stole this thread :lol:

Im gonna stop now I have to finish my outline. I'm sure shoeshine is already done with spring semester outlines. Ok. seriously stopping :mrgreen:

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:10 am

Mike12188 wrote:
chimp wrote:Shoeshine stole my pecan pie.
Shoeshine stole this thread :lol:

Im gonna stop now I have to finish my outline. I'm sure shoeshine is already done with spring semester outlines. Ok. seriously stopping :mrgreen:
Shoeshine already made partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 am

This pretty much happens in every thread I post in eventually. I am sort of a jerk on the internet. TBF, I was posting that shit in here because I can't talk about it in real life. My friends would hate me.

Also, if you look back over my posts in this thread I was unsure I would get any responses when I sent these out on December 1st. I still don't have a job either, just lots of interviews.

So anyways, I will once again take a leave from TLS. Sorry for fucking up another thread. Maybe forever this time.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 am

shoeshine wrote:This pretty much happens in every thread I post in eventually. I am sort of a jerk on the internet. TBF, I was posting that shit in here because I can't talk about it in real life. My friends would hate me.

Also, if you look back over my posts in this thread I was unsure I would get any responses when I sent these out on December 1st. I still don't have a job either, just lots of interviews.

So anyways, I will once again take a leave from TLS. Sorry for fucking up another thread. Maybe forever this time.
No shame in talking about success. There is just a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. Act like you've been there before, bro.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:00 am

shoeshine wrote:This pretty much happens in every thread I post in eventually. I am sort of a jerk on the internet. TBF, I was posting that shit in here because I can't talk about it in real life. My friends would hate me.

I ain't mad at ya son. Just don't pull a Kanye West next time.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:10 am

TBF I think you genuinely offended like one person, the rest of us are just jumping on for the lulz.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:54 am

NYC Law wrote:

TBF I think you genuinely offended like one person, the rest of us are just jumping on for the lulz.
Yep, coupled with the stress of finals this was exactly the sort of comic relief I needed.

Oh the pathetic life I lead these days.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 am

Lol so moving away from trolling shoeshine, is the consensus basically that if we haven't heard back from anyone since Dec. 1, we can write off those places? I applied to loads of in-house positions as well as firms, and I'm assuming it doesn't take them as long to go over resumes. Feeling a bit bummed but they're all in NYC or SV, so maybe we can't give up hope on places in major markets yet?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:51 am

NYC Law wrote:

Yea, I wasn't offended at all. Congrats lol.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 am

piccolittle wrote:Lol so moving away from trolling shoeshine, is the consensus basically that if we haven't heard back from anyone since Dec. 1, we can write off those places? I applied to loads of in-house positions as well as firms, and I'm assuming it doesn't take them as long to go over resumes. Feeling a bit bummed but they're all in NYC or SV, so maybe we can't give up hope on places in major markets yet?
Firms in major markets probably get hundreds of applications (if not thousands), and it probably takes a while to get through all of those applications, so I wouldn't be too worried since it's only been a little over a week. I haven't heard back from any of the firms in the major market that I applied to. I have heard back from 50% of the firms in a secondary market though, and I think most people who are hearing back are hearing back from firms in a secondary market which they have ties to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Hearing everyone else's stories has given me the courage to come forward and talk about the sexual abuse Shoeshine perpetrated on me as a young boy.

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 am

So anybody going to 1L firm receptions near or in their hometown over break? I'm going to a few while I'm at home and wanted to get a gist of how to make the most out of them. Just make small take with associates/partners? Wine and dine? Make it rain with business cards?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 am

Puttanesca wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Lol so moving away from trolling shoeshine, is the consensus basically that if we haven't heard back from anyone since Dec. 1, we can write off those places? I applied to loads of in-house positions as well as firms, and I'm assuming it doesn't take them as long to go over resumes. Feeling a bit bummed but they're all in NYC or SV, so maybe we can't give up hope on places in major markets yet?
Firms in major markets probably get hundreds of applications (if not thousands), and it probably takes a while to get through all of those applications, so I wouldn't be too worried since it's only been a little over a week. I haven't heard back from any of the firms in the major market that I applied to. I have heard back from 50% of the firms in a secondary market though, and I think most people who are hearing back are hearing back from firms in a secondary market which they have ties to.
Well, damn, I was hoping it was the other way around :lol:

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:52 am

First in person Big Law interview tomorrow. I have no idea what to say. I am just going to try to be confident.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:05 am

shoeshine wrote:First in person Big Law interview tomorrow. I have no idea what to say. I am just going to try to be confident.
Since you're a 1L, you have no grades, and you have no practical knowledge of any sort of thing that could be useful to them, I would imagine it will be mostly small talk to see if your personality jives with them so that in the event your grades are good enough to warrant an offer, they will have a record of whether their associates like you or not.

In other words -" what has been your favorite class? Why did you choose to go to law school? Why did you pick XYZ school?" = very likely. Some firms even do behavioral interviews.

Judging by your contributions to this thread, I'd say self-confidence is a not a bad thing, but arrogance will make them confused since you haven't proven anything yet.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 am

NinerFan wrote:
Judging by your contributions to this thread, I'd say self-confidence is a not a bad thing, but arrogance will make them confused since you haven't proven anything yet.
They will ask about undergrad record, work experience, and other achievements in and out of school. Not legal related of course, but something that can attest to your strength as an applicant.

They will also ask about why you are interested in the area, the firm, and the practice area you may have expressed an interest in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:09 pm

I just got 3 different calls in the span of 2 hours for interviews in Texas. Is there something going on today? I sent in my aps on the 1st. Lots of "Sorry, class full" "We decided not to hire 1Ls" have come in. With the exception of 1 other interview, these are the only ones I've heard back from.... strange.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Go to HYS. Applied to a myriad of firms in both my mid-size, hometown market and larger markets. Have had several rejections (via email and snail mail). I have had one straight interview request from a V100. The only other interview requests I have had have been to diversity programs for summer associate positions (my last name may give the impression that I am a minority).

Just giving the update and wishing everyone else luck! From what I hear for firm jobs we'll all be receiving rejections from 99% of applied-to firms so don't let it get you down. Except for shoeshine--of course--who sold his soul and his manners to get where he is : ) Joking of course (had to get in on the action).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm the anonymous poster who talked about receiving the interviews today.

I seriously just got 2 more in texas. Total of 3/4 today are V100 firms.

I'm confused but grateful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anonymous poster who talked about receiving the interviews today.

Would you mind giving a school range and a general sense of your ties to the state? I too am targeting Texas and haven't heard anything today, which is why I am anonymous. I'm wondering if that means I am about to get dinged...I've received mostly responses of "we're not hiring 1Ls" or "we'll be in touch soon about whether you'll get an interview" or "please send grades."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anonymous poster who talked about receiving the interviews today.

Would you mind giving a school range and a general sense of your ties to the state? I too am targeting Texas and haven't heard anything today, which is why I am anonymous. I'm wondering if that means I am about to get dinged...I've received mostly responses of "we're not hiring 1Ls" or "we'll be in touch soon about whether you'll get an interview" or "please send grades."
CCN. I grew up in Texas, but went to top ivy for undergrad. Parents, all family still live there (but not in primary market).

Don't worry, I had only heard those last statements until today, especially the "we'll be in touch soon (got like 2-3 of those this past week)" and the "send grades" from one or two.

These 5 today, so far, are the only interviews I've been offered in Texas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

CCN. I grew up in Texas, but went to top ivy for undergrad. Parents, all family still live there (but not in primary market).

Don't worry, I had only heard those last statements until today, especially the "we'll be in touch soon (got like 2-3 of those this past week)" and the "send grades" from one or two.

These 5 today, so far, are the only interviews I've been offered in Texas.
Gotcha. Well, congratulations! I hope that bodes well for me. You and I are somewhat similar, although I go to T10 and didn't go anywhere near as prestigious as an ivy undergrad haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”