The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.
I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.
As in you'll be applying in 2 days and will be expecting an offer letter sometime after that, or you applied today and will be getting an offer in 2 days? If the latter, have they responded to your application in some way? are you a 1L?

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As in you'll be applying in 2 days and will be expecting an offer letter sometime after that, or you applied today and will be getting an offer in 2 days? If the latter, have they responded to your application in some way? are you a 1L?
he's saying he got an offer today and the letter is in the mail.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
he's saying he got an offer today and the letter is in the mail.
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:10 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?
I attend a T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
I attend a T14.
Last question, was your app today the first contact you've had with the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
I attend a T14.
Hell, no. Met up with the IP firm during a networking event two months ago. We merely agreed on a Dec. 1st date to settle things.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
I attend a T14.
Hell, no. Met up with the IP firm during a networking event two months ago. We merely agreed on a Dec. 1st date to settle things.
wow I didn't realize you could do that. Our CSO was clear about not contacting firms until Dec. 1. well, congrats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:27 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
wow I didn't realize you could do that. Our CSO was clear about not contacting firms until Dec. 1. well, congrats.
It's not like that. They came on campus to do a presentation about IP law for the generally interested student body. After the presentation, I stayed around and chatted with the guys who came over with follow up questions. Then we agreed to wait till Dec. 1st to wrap things up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
It's not like that. They came on campus to do a presentation about IP law for the generally interested student body. After the presentation, I stayed around and chatted with the guys who came over with follow up questions. Then we agreed to wait till Dec. 1st to wrap things up.
Oh ok, gotcha. Well congrats on being able to head into finals with a job. That must be a pretty amazing feeling.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did you just come into this thread to brag? You are not going through the same process as the rest of us so it seems like bragging.

Congrats though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Just a reminder to you guys to not get discouraged if the firm mass-mailings don't come through. When I was a 1L, I sent well over 200 firm mailings, and didn't even get a single interview, let alone an offer. Many firms just don't hire 1L's, and those that do typically take 1 or 2. Thus, 1L SA positions is not the typical route most students will take. That doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of great positions you can get for 1L summer. I got an initial wave of rejections from pretty much all jobs (firms & judges) soon after applying. It wasn't until around January, when I updated with my grades, that a stream of interviews started coming in from the judges (nothing came from firms despite top 5% grades at a T20). So bottom line is be patient, stay confident, and don't let anything distract you from finals.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Peg wrote:Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.
Congrats! That's awesome, nail it

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Man, you guys are making me nervous. I only sent out a few apps today, and the only people I have heard from were the partners I already knew, wishing me good luck. Crickets from recruiters.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I sent out so few apps that I decided not to hit up the network of partners I have made connections with... I sent out my apps to a few firms and if they want me they'll say so... since I already got rejected by a couple, I can reasonably say that that is a no, but we'll see.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:02 pm

69Coronet wrote:I sent out so few apps that I decided not to hit up the network of partners I have made connections with... I sent out my apps to a few firms and if they want me they'll say so... since I already got rejected by a couple, I can reasonably say that that is a no, but we'll see.
What kind of firms are people getting rejected from? Big-law? primary markets? I emailed about 20 apps this morning and haven't heard a word. I figured they were so swamped with apps that they wouldn't read them, let alone email out rejections, for at least a few days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

By rejected I just mean they told me their classes were full.
And they were biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 pm

minuit wrote:got an offer on the spot with a federal district judge today... FLIPPING OUT :mrgreen:
That is so awesome, congrats!! I can't even send my application to the federal district here until february 1st.. it sucks.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Peg wrote:Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.
Congrats! I'm also interested in public interest, and any offer is a big deal, that's great :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?
Depends on your district, but mostly very competitive and probably one of the most prestigious things you can do for 1L.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 pm

69Coronet wrote:By rejected I just mean they told me their classes were full.
And they were biglaw.
How are their classes full on the first day? Looks like they found who they wanted rather quickly without going through interviews/CBs.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm really surprised people are hearing back so quickly, even if it is a rejection

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 pm

adonai wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?
Depends on your district, but mostly very competitive and probably one of the most prestigious things you can do for 1L.

The email suggests that I schedule a time to interview before Christmas. Also, it implied I should interview even during finals. Moreover, they want me to bring a transcript from college. Should I interview ASAP despite finals? The office is 3 hours away. And, do they select one 1L's before grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”