The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adonai

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by adonai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:How soon after a judicial interview should you send out a thank you? Same day, right?
Yup. But you may want to wait a day just in case they call you to offer you the same day. I was actually writing my thank you letter as I got my phone call ding. LOL felt so stupid.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 pm

adonai wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:How soon after a judicial interview should you send out a thank you? Same day, right?
Yup. But you may want to wait a day just in case they call you to offer you the same day. I was actually writing my thank you letter as I got my phone call ding. LOL felt so stupid.
Haha that kinda sucks. At least they got you before you sent it out. Unless you want to go for the post-ding guilt-trip, in which case you should have sent that sucka out.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Just wrote out the first thank you letter to a judge. My handwriting is neat, but still looks like a fifth grader's penmanship. I feel like this can only hurt me...

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Why not type and then hand sign?

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm

theavrock wrote:Why not type and then hand sign?
That was my original plan, but a recent former clerk told me to send handwritten thank you notes...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Interviewed for my dream summer job the other day, and I think it went pretty well (no awkward pauses, everything flowed pretty conversationally, don't think I said anything stupid, etc.) But I won't hear from them for at least like 6 weeks since they want grades and they just started interviewing 1Ls, and I'm not at all confident that my grades will be impressive. :oops:

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 pm

theavrock wrote:Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.
Seriously. I just went ahead and mailed out the handwritten ones I did because they felt more personal and time-intensive. It probably does not matter either way though. Not like a thank you is going to make or break you (unless you make a typo or spelling mistake).

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
theavrock wrote:Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.
Seriously. I just went ahead and mailed out the handwritten ones I did because they felt more personal and time-intensive. It probably does not matter either way though. Not like a thank you is going to make or break you (unless you make a typo or spelling mistake).
"Dear Judge X,

TYFTI. 'ppreciate it. <3 you a milli.

Cordially,

Desperate 1L"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
"Dear Judge X,

TYFTI. 'ppreciate it. <3 you a milli.

Cordially,

Desperate 1L"
The next generation's thank you letter template...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Eeps, just got another offer! (From the judge who had requested a writing sample.) I have to turn it down, right? I guess this is a good dilemma to have.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 pm

If you already accepted a job with a different judge then absent some other circumstances yes. Congrats on both offers but this sounds pretty easy.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Wow, it's amazing how little motivation I have to apply for jobs now that I have nothing else to do.

ETA: Also, would it be really bad form to submit a 12-page writing sample? I'm way too lazy to cut it down lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:29 pm

piccolittle wrote:Wow, it's amazing how little motivation I have to apply for jobs now that I have nothing else to do.

ETA: Also, would it be really bad form to submit a 12-page writing sample? I'm way too lazy to cut it down lol
Just omit entire sections.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:51 pm

So the general consensus is that there is no need to go to firm holiday / new year receptions, right? Absent impressing the fuck out of someone at the firm (which wouldn't happen) am I losing anything by not going?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

theavrock wrote:If you already accepted a job with a different judge then absent some other circumstances yes. Congrats on both offers but this sounds pretty easy.
True. This particular judge had just caught my eye from the beginning, so it'll be tough to turn down. The first is a great opportunity, though, that I'm really looking forward to.

Just a general suggestion for those of you just now sending out letters to judges: I'd advise you to stick to positions you'd really want. I lucked out. I sent letters to the handful of federal judges in town as well as the state supreme court justices. Both of my offers are from federal judges. I'm glad I didn't receive any interest from the state supreme court justices because I quickly realized that I would prefer working for a federal judge. It's a tricky balance because you don't want to miss opportunities, but you also need to be prepared to accept your first offer. This applies to cities you're considering as well as types of judges. If you know you prefer one city over another, seek out those positions first.

...and be sure to have a good resume and cover letter so that your narrow focus still gives rise to offers. ;)

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm

AreJay711 wrote:So the general consensus is that there is no need to go to firm holiday / new year receptions, right? Absent impressing the fuck out of someone at the firm (which wouldn't happen) am I losing anything by not going?
Probably depends on the firm. The V10 I used to work for is pretty grade focused, so there's very little you'd be able to do at the reception to help yourself. However, other firms (Jones Day comes to mind) focus a lot on "fit," so if you seem to be a good fit at the reception, they might remember that come interview season next summer.

I personally don't turn down opportunities to network. You never know how an opportunity is going to fall into your lap, and at the very least, it's good practice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Blahhh the offers here are stressing me out because I need to send more applications, but all I want to do is shop and watch christmas movies!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 pm

WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:06 pm

shoeshine wrote:WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.
You poor thing.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 pm

shoeshine wrote:WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

Must be hard being you! :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:13 pm

See Haymarket et al., supra

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah, I will stop posting in here. Sorry.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

shoeshine stole the sweater that my grandmother knitted for me :cry:

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm

shoeshine wrote:Yeah, I will stop posting in here. Sorry.
Probably should your just being a douche now. was willing to give you the benefit but then you took my xmas cookies and posted this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”