The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Just got my grades at a lower T14. I am around top 10%. Is it worth sending out apps to additional big law firms now that I have grades? I only sent a few in December/January. Have one callback interview scheduled, but no other responses.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm

beachbum wrote:Appreciate the advice, paulina and r6. I think I'm gonna send out additional apps to judges and (what the hell) firms, just to see what's still out there. Just went out and bought supplies, so hopefully I can get everything out by the weekend, if not sooner.

But one more question: I want to apply to district judges in my home city, but their internship instructions are to send a resume and cover letter to the courthouse, addressed to human resources. So... who should I address my cover letter to? Or should I do a separate app for each judge? I'm so confused.
i would do a separate app for each judge and use their names in the cover letter personally. but i didn't have instructions to do it like that for mine

...actually what i would do is call HR and ask them what they want you to do, because that's a weird curve ball
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Had a brief phone interview for a PI org that went really well today. Considering my terrible personality I think I'm personable enough not to be unemployable, which is nice since I basically bet $150,000+ on that by coming to law school.
i<3u.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 am

NYC Law wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a merge ready spreadsheet of state judges? I'll give a spreadsheet of all Fed Judges in exchange.
How many state judges are you mailing? I started by trying to do them all in my area, but that would be like 300+. I cut down and will probably end up w/ less than 200.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 am

Stringer6 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a merge ready spreadsheet of state judges? I'll give a spreadsheet of all Fed Judges in exchange.
How many state judges are you mailing? I started by trying to do them all in my area, but that would be like 300+. I cut down and will probably end up w/ less than 200.
Haven't really started yet. I tried every Fed Judge in SDNY/EDNY and in my home market but no luck yet. Starting to panic a little.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 am

I mailed around 200 fed judges and haven't gotten an interview. A few rejections, a few acknowledgments, a few requests for grades/ writing samples.

Could be bc the wrong year was on all my cover letters.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 am

Stringer6 wrote:I mailed around 200 fed judges and haven't gotten an interview. A few rejections, a few acknowledgments, a few requests for grades/ writing samples.

I did this to a firm. Didn't hurt.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:33 am

Stringer6 wrote:I mailed around 200 fed judges and haven't gotten an interview. A few rejections, a few acknowledgments, a few requests for grades/ writing samples.

Ouch. I did have one interview with a magistrate, but no grade requests.

Did you get any grade requests or non-rejections by snail mail? Havent checked it since before the break

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am

I only mass-mailed about a week ago, so I'm not too worried. More worried about my other 2 grades.

Yes, have received non-rejection stuff via snail mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 am

Found perfect job; preparing myself for inevitable rejection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 am

I've been callbacked at 7 places and I'm a decent interviewer. but turns out my grades ended up sucking so I probably wasted those 36 hours of grueling interviews for nothing. FML. oh well.

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:55 am

Dany wrote:Found perfect job; preparing myself for inevitable rejection.
This x10

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 am

So I have an interview today and we got grades last night. I only have a couple hours between the end of class and interviewing. Should I try to get an official transcript for my interview or would telling them I got my grades and having a new resume with my GPA on it be sufficient?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 am

Are any of the other mass mail judge applicants considering sending grades to different regions at different times because of your preference to work in one over the other?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been callbacked at 7 places and I'm a decent interviewer. but turns out my grades ended up sucking so I probably wasted those 36 hours of grueling interviews for nothing. FML. oh well.
Same thing's gonna happen to me bro.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am

Flips88 wrote:So I have an interview today and we got grades last night. I only have a couple hours between the end of class and interviewing. Should I try to get an official transcript for my interview or would telling them I got my grades and having a new resume with my GPA on it be sufficient?
UCH tells us to make a grade sheet, like this: --LinkRemoved-- (click on the unofficial transcript/grade sheet link to see the examples)

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:50 am

I just sent out applications to judges yesterday; specifically, I sent stuff to judges from the E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./District of Connecticut.

Am I too late to the party/should I cast a wider net?

I am considering sending out another batch of mailings once I get my grades back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Oh my god I am now terrified I did this and too afraid to look.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Sent out 180 apps to Fed. District courts in NDCA, CDCA, SDCA, SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDVA, and WDVA on Dec. 1. Got four interviews out of that (plus a few grade requests), and was offered and accepted SDNY after an interview. Was told that my references were key in getting the offer; also have 5 years w/e. Best of luck to everyone still looking, and line up refs if you haven't already.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

sundance95 wrote:Sent out 180 apps to Fed. District courts in NDCA, CDCA, SDCA, SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDVA, and WDVA on Dec. 1. Got four interviews out of that (plus a few grade requests), and was offered and accepted SDNY after an interview. Was told that my references were key in getting the offer; also have 5 years w/e. Best of luck to everyone still looking, and line up refs if you haven't already.
Congrats!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:48 pm

sundance95 wrote:Sent out 180 apps to Fed. District courts in NDCA, CDCA, SDCA, SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDVA, and WDVA on Dec. 1. Got four interviews out of that (plus a few grade requests), and was offered and accepted SDNY after an interview. Was told that my references were key in getting the offer; also have 5 years w/e. Best of luck to everyone still looking, and line up refs if you haven't already.
Congrats!! That's very exciting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Flips88 wrote:So I have an interview today and we got grades last night. I only have a couple hours between the end of class and interviewing. Should I try to get an official transcript for my interview or would telling them I got my grades and having a new resume with my GPA on it be sufficient?
I'd just print off an unofficial transcript and bring it

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:17 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
I'd just print off an unofficial transcript and bring it
Yes. At the V50 where I used to work, 2L OCI applicants always just provided their unofficial transcripts (even from NYU, where students and alumni are allowed unlimited free official transcripts).

Good luck on your interview! I'm sure you'll kill it. :)

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 pm

for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls? And if you did, did you actually ask them clerk or whoever picking up the phone to check whether they have your material (I have a feeling that this could annoy them)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Got an offer at a district court last week. The judge told me that I wouldn't get much hands on experience, but that I would learn a ton from observation and discussing my observations with her every week. Is this typical for internships with judges; that is, do most 1L judicial interns simply watch court all summer, and do no hands on legal work? Also, will it hurt me in OCI next year if I take this offer and don't have any hands on legal work to talk about with firms?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”