GPA Drop to No-Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: GPA Drop to No-Offer

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:43 am

Go to nalp directory and check your firms offer rate from 2010 summer. Then compare that to what u know about there 2011 rate from the recruitment process. If your firm didn't no offer anyone, odds are they don't give a fuck about grades.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:44 am

I'd be waaay more worried about the impending double dip leading to no-offers than to declines in grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 am

So much delusion and happy-talk ITT. I always make the same point in these threads, and am always shouted down by those who want to live in a magical dream world where they don't have to worry about their offer. But guess what? You do have to worry! Its 2011, not 2006. No offers happen. Half the time its for bad work product or being an aspie. The other half, its for grades.

I know dozens of law students who worked at biglaw firms. No-offering for bad 2L grades is MUCH more common then this thread would lead you to believe. I am at a t14, and I personally know of more then 5 students who were explicitly told that they were no-offered (at least in part) due to a grade drop (they were told that in better times the would have probably got an offer, but given ITE, they had to cut someone, and it came down to grades). And I'm not talking a major grade drop either. In some cases, the students really bombed. But in others, we're talking a GPA drop from 3.3 to 3.15.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you maintain your GPA, you'll be fine, because thats what they hired you at. But ITE, I would be wary of ANY drop, and anything above .1 or .2 would make me very, very uncomfortable. Look, its a buyers market (the firms are buying you). You are a replaceable cog, and there are hundreds who would kill to be in your shoes. Why bother with someone who either is not as smart as they thought or is to lazy to keep putting effort into law school? I literally heard partners at my firm say this. They know they have all the power and they don't want to hire lazy associates.

And btw, the reason you don't hear about this stuff to often is that people hate to talk about being no offered and about grades. I only know of the 5+ cases I do because I work at a journal and see a lot of resumes/interview a lot of people and have a gossipy girlfriend. But people do not advertise this shit.

Like someone else said, stop watching lord of the rings and study like you did as a 1L. Otherwise, be prepared for a catastrophic no offer that could destroy your career.

EDIT: Oh yea, one other thing - the whole world economy could very well implode over the next 9 months. If that happens, do you want to be the one with an extra LOTR viewing and mediocre grades, or the super star who saw their GPA improve as a 2L?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know dozens of law students who worked at biglaw firms. No-offering for bad 2L grades is MUCH more common then this thread would lead you to believe. I am at a t14, and I personally know of more then 5 students who were explicitly told that they were no-offered (at least in part) due to a grade drop (they were told that in better times the would have probably got an offer, but given ITE, they had to cut someone, and it came down to grades). And I'm not talking a major grade drop either. In some cases, the students really bombed. But in others, we're talking a GPA drop from 3.3 to 3.15.
Name the firms.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So much delusion and happy-talk ITT. I always make the same point in these threads, and am always shouted down by those who want to live in a magical dream world where they don't have to worry about their offer. But guess what? You do have to worry! Its 2011, not 2006. No offers happen. Half the time its for bad work product or being an aspie. The other half, its for grades.

I know dozens of law students who worked at biglaw firms. No-offering for bad 2L grades is MUCH more common then this thread would lead you to believe. I am at a t14, and I personally know of more then 5 students who were explicitly told that they were no-offered (at least in part) due to a grade drop (they were told that in better times the would have probably got an offer, but given ITE, they had to cut someone, and it came down to grades). And I'm not talking a major grade drop either. In some cases, the students really bombed. But in others, we're talking a GPA drop from 3.3 to 3.15.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you maintain your GPA, you'll be fine, because thats what they hired you at. But ITE, I would be wary of ANY drop, and anything above .1 or .2 would make me very, very uncomfortable. Look, its a buyers market (the firms are buying you). You are a replaceable cog, and there are hundreds who would kill to be in your shoes. Why bother with someone who either is not as smart as they thought or is to lazy to keep putting effort into law school? I literally heard partners at my firm say this. They know they have all the power and they don't want to hire lazy associates.

And btw, the reason you don't hear about this stuff to often is that people hate to talk about being no offered and about grades. I only know of the 5+ cases I do because I work at a journal and see a lot of resumes/interview a lot of people and have a gossipy girlfriend. But people do not advertise this shit.

Like someone else said, stop watching lord of the rings and study like you did as a 1L. Otherwise, be prepared for a catastrophic no offer that could destroy your career.

EDIT: Oh yea, one other thing - the whole world economy could very well implode over the next 9 months. If that happens, do you want to be the one with an extra LOTR viewing and mediocre grades, or the super star who saw their GPA improve as a 2L?
There's some truth to what you're saying, but don't you think you're putting it on a little thick and exaggerating the risk a little bit? In the end, the offer rates at your firm speak for themselves. And why you gotta call me out for watching LOTR last night man? I outlined all day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:23 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know dozens of law students who worked at biglaw firms. No-offering for bad 2L grades is MUCH more common then this thread would lead you to believe. I am at a t14, and I personally know of more then 5 students who were explicitly told that they were no-offered (at least in part) due to a grade drop (they were told that in better times the would have probably got an offer, but given ITE, they had to cut someone, and it came down to grades). And I'm not talking a major grade drop either. In some cases, the students really bombed. But in others, we're talking a GPA drop from 3.3 to 3.15.
Name the firms.
I concur in this.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So much delusion and happy-talk ITT. I always make the same point in these threads, and am always shouted down by those who want to live in a magical dream world where they don't have to worry about their offer. But guess what? You do have to worry! Its 2011, not 2006. No offers happen. Half the time its for bad work product or being an aspie. The other half, its for grades.

Thanks, anonymous poster. This explains all the firms with 100% offer rates.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Doritos wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Name the firms.
I concur in this.
Right. Given the high offer rates for most firms in the last two years, I'm going to be skeptical unless you name some firms. Hell, I only know of a single person who got no offered this past summer. If anything it's the economy and work product produced during the summer that produced those supposed no-offers you know about. Work product that was mediocre but "good enough" in the past is no longer as acceptable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:31 pm

How to avoid all of the problems ITT: Keep your grades up and go do restructuring at Kirkland or Weil

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:33 pm

ITT: If the economy double dips, you will get no-offered due to grades.

Actual meaning, if the economy double-dips there will be no-offers because the economy crashed. Grades might factor in at the extreme cases.

If you really want to unpack this logic, there is an entirely different debate to be had. For example, firm class sizes are all down substantially because OCI planning occurred during the August market freefall, and firms hedged so they wouldn't have to no-offer large amounts of people like in 2009.

Sorry about all you class of 2010'ers who had lots of friends get no offered due to the economy, but getting a better 2L gpa wouldn't have helped those people. I just think it's really shady to come on here and try to fear monger towards existing 2L's. In any event, time will tell.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

(1) Exactly what "journal" do you work on that involves reviewing resumes of 3Ls and "interview[ing] a lot of people." Law Review executive board selections are conducted spring of 2L. Likewise, article selections don't involve interviews.

(2) Many firms do not even ask for a transcript prior to or after the 2L summer.

(3) Unless has too many SA's, why are they no-offering unless there is a problem with work product? Recruiting and paying an SA is a $50-60k proposition. A 0.1 GPA drop does not justify no-offering someone with good work product.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Also, nobody is watching LOTR these days. We're playing Skyrim dood.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:41 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Also, nobody is watching LOTR these days. We're playing Skyrim dood.
Maybe it was because I wasn't holding the controller, but watching someone else play gave me such a headache.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Also, nobody is watching LOTR these days. We're playing Skyrim dood.
Maybe it was because I wasn't holding the controller, but watching someone else play gave me such a headache.
Were they playing in first person mode or over the shoulder cam? This makes a big difference.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:50 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
Were they playing in first person mode or over the shoulder cam? This makes a big difference.
First person, dude's head is basically on a swivel

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 pm

They've been playing them over and over again on Encore the past couple nights, which I have to assume is what he's referring to. Anyone who thinks you can't watch movies at night on the weekends and still get good grades is a tightwad, whether 1L or 2L year.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Bronte wrote:
They've been playing them over and over again on Encore the past couple nights, which I have to assume is what he's referring to. Anyone who thinks you can't watch movies at night on the weekends and still get good grades is a tightwad, whether 1L or 2L year.
Yea, especially when you look back and consider all the things you did to study as a 1L that wasted time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Bronte wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
I'm sticking with my story. Get a B average or above and grades will not factor into an offer. Get C's, D's, or F's and it might.
Wow, now I really know we've gotten into a pointless argument when you've been agreeing with me the whole time. Since when are C's, D's, or F's, not grades? .
C's, D's, and F's barely qualify as grades in law school. In many law school classes, almost no one gets below a B-. You have to really punt to get a C+ or lower.
Just so people don't get the wrong idea, I want to point out that this is one of the bigger fallacies repeated on this website. For example, at UVA many professors routinely gives out B-s, C+s, and C's. B-s are actually extremely common. Almost every single professor gives them out. It's really not all that uncommon.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
I'm sticking with my story. Get a B average or above and grades will not factor into an offer. Get C's, D's, or F's and it might.
Wow, now I really know we've gotten into a pointless argument when you've been agreeing with me the whole time. Since when are C's, D's, or F's, not grades? .
C's, D's, and F's barely qualify as grades in law school. In many law school classes, almost no one gets below a B-. You have to really punt to get a C+ or lower.
Just so people don't get the wrong idea, I want to point out that this is one of the bigger fallacies repeated on this website. For example, at UVA many professors routinely gives out B-s, C+s, and C's. B-s are actually extremely common. Almost every single professor gives them out. It's really not all that uncommon.
Yeah this a really pernicious "fallacy." It's not as if people can't just look up their grade distributions. Not to mention, nothing you said contradicts what I said. Note: "in many law school classes" and "almost no one" and "below a B-."

The reason this is being discussed ITT is the following: if your point is that people should avoid getting Cs, Ds, and Fs, you're not really making a point. Obviously you should not be getting Cs under any circumstances. This is always bad.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:40 pm

ITT a few trolls get TLS worried about no offers based on 2L grades.

Unrelatedly:

DELETED

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:05 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Go to nalp directory and check your firms offer rate from 2010 summer.
This wouldn't account for cold offers for poor grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn always seems to be pointed out when no-offers due to grades are discussed. Do any of you know why? Do you know or have you heard of any people being no-offered by GDC due to GPA drop?
A friend who went there claimed they didn't even ask for a transcript after summer was over. So I'm not sure they actually do.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 am

Fresh Prince wrote:If the economy tanks, then firms will have to make distinctions among summer associates when deciding whom to give an offer to. When having to distinguish between summer associates, grades will enter the equation.

Just preparing you for the worst, and the way things are going in Europe, the worst doesn't seem like a distant possibility. You can hold off on the Lord of the Rings marathon for another semester and a half, I'm sure.
Even if firms don't judge by grades, other employers will. And if we get Euro crisis pwnd you might get no offered for no good reason. And then your grades matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”