Unemployed MVP Class 2011 grad. Need Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MITGradStudent

Unemployed MVP Class 2011 grad. Need Advice

Postby MITGradStudent » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Struck out during 2009 OCI as a 2L and 3L OCI was a joke! I have engineering background and will take / pass patent bar in January. I have passed the NY bar.

Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I am thinking about working at USPTO as a patent examiner, however, I don't know if I would be able to transition into a law firm from that.

Any advice?

cantaboot

Re: Unemployed MVP Class 2011 grad. Need Advice

Postby cantaboot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 pm

sorry, brother. I remember you..

nothing to offer you, except: be persistent. you are in a far better position than many out there with no technical background.

I think you are just really, really unlucky - I know a couple of girls who only have a BS in biology/engineering and they have found jobs at F & R and other patent boutique firms. A guy with a nanotech phd has not been able to find anything though. AA for women, I heard.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:10 pm

MITGradStudent wrote:Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I am thinking about working at USPTO as a patent examiner, however, I don't know if I would be able to transition into a law firm from that.

Nothing wrong with logging a year or two at the USPTO if you want to do patent prosecution. Only if you stay too long would your opportunity for a law firm job expire.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 am

Black-Blue wrote:
MITGradStudent wrote:Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I am thinking about working at USPTO as a patent examiner, however, I don't know if I would be able to transition into a law firm from that.

Nothing wrong with logging a year or two at the USPTO if you want to do patent prosecution. Only if you stay too long would your opportunity for a law firm job expire.

TITCR.

First of all, I'd be surprised if you pass the patent bar and you can't get a gig, especially if you are willing to go anywhere. There are patent boutiques (especially in DC) that would probably be interested in you, and they pay pretty well. You might even be able to start before you pass the bar.

Secondly, being an examiner for 1-2 years would also work pretty well. I'd apply as soon as they start hiring again. Just don't stay for too long - firms I've chatted with seem to have a bit of a bias against people that are there for extended periods of time.

Return to “Legal Employment”