In-house/Trade association attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-house/Trade association attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:36 pm

I have an job up for an entry level associate general counsel position at a trade organization. Here's the problem guys, I have no idea what to ask for salary wise and there isn't any indication of what it might be.

I've only been a prosecutor so my income at the time was waaaaay under anything related to what this job is.

Any idea what market rate for these things are? I'm in Texas.

TooOld4This

Re: In-house/Trade association attorney

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Salaries can be all over the place. Some trade associations pay low non-profit rates, some pay closer to market for business. An entry level in-house position could be around $50k or it could be around $100k. I'm afraid you'll need to do a little more legwork to get a sense of salary.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:21 pm

How big is the legal department at the association?

Where did most of the attorneys who are there come from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Salaries can be all over the place. Some trade associations pay low non-profit rates, some pay closer to market for business. An entry level in-house position could be around $50k or it could be around $100k. I'm afraid you'll need to do a little more legwork to get a sense of salary.

Can't seem to find much on trade association lawyers.

bdubs wrote:How big is the legal department at the association?

There are 6 total lawyers. I know three went to top 30 schools.

My main concern is either having them laugh in my face if I ask for too much or pay me way under what is average.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:How big is the legal department at the association?

There are 6 total lawyers. I know three went to top 30 schools.

My main concern is either having them laugh in my face if I ask for too much or pay me way under what is average.

Did all of them come directly from school? If so, I would guess that the pay is on the lower end of the scale.

Having only 6 points of reference is probably not going to be super helpful. Perhaps you should reach out to someone in a similar organization who is an alumnus of your school to ask about compensation negotiation.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:[
Can't seem to find much on trade association lawyers.

Have you tried Go In House, ACC, Lateral Link, Major Lindsey & Africa, BCG, and glassdoor.com?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:06 pm

I used to work at a trade association that paid its GC $100k. That was in DC. They eliminated her position before I started, and I found out what she made when my boss was whining about the expense, but that's neither here nor there.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 am

Tough to tell. Depends on the affluence of the trade (if it's energy-related, and you did say you are in Texas, your salary will likely be higher), the sophistication of the work, etc. Likely somewhere between 60-90 starting. How many years experience (approximation is fine) do you have?

EDIT: bdubs (above) also has a decent point...alums could be helpful. Your alma mater's CSO might be helpful, too.

Return to “Legal Employment”