Rate my Craigslist ad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Valkyrie

Re: Rate my Craigslist ad

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:31 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:I would have liked to have developed my own book while I was there. The situation was basically this: potential clients would call and ask for Former Boss because of her reputation. Former Boss was perpetually too busy to take on new clients, so our receptionist would try to sell them on me or another associate there, but the people never wanted us, they wanted her. If they were the kind of folks who would be ok with a less experienced associate, they usually balked at the mandatory retainer. While I was there I wanted to develop new practice areas (criminal) but I wasn't allowed to.

Yea dude I'm sure it wasn't your fault the world is just out to get you.

Lol Herman Cain, ok.

I got laid off. I did well at my job and I did what was asked of me. I don't think that's my fault. Were there things I could have done better? Sure, there always is. It's hard to develop a book of business when you're one year out of law school. I was never asked to do this, even though I did have a couple of my own clients that I got on my own. I certainly don't think the world is out to get me...that's an awful large leap you made from my post to that conclusion.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 pm

cantaboot wrote:I believe that you are trying very hard (though might not be your best)
however, your craigslist list ad is really whiny. It will taint your reputation if people find out its you who wrote it.

I don't think they will. I really just did it to vent, and maybe get some "right on" type of responses. I know there are young lawyers in my area who are experiencing the same kind of thing.

Speaking of which, little anecdote:

So I know an ADA in my town, and at a recent bar meeting I told him I was looking for a job and that I would love to volunteer at the DA's office for free, and just learn as much as I can. I figure I could put that on my resume as an internship. They also get free help. Win win, right?

So he told me that they already have 2 lawyers doing this, including the second chair on one of the most high profile murders our area has seen in a few years. Homeboy has been there full time for 10 months with no pay or benefits. I had to laugh to myself. I wonder if this is happening in other professions.

Eco

Postby Eco » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Posts like this are extremely depressing :\. Hope you get something soon.

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I agree with c3pO4, traehekat, sunynp, and cantaboot - it's probably not a good idea to put this out there. If you must, I suggest going with only the first and last paragraphs.

I hope something works out for you soon.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,

Sounds like you're working hard and that is, of course, a good start. As to the ad itself, I agree with the more recent posters that it sets the wrong tone.

I loved the first paragraph, but once I saw the second one my gut definitely turned. "So why can't I get an interview" is the focal point of your ad. Your ad is not about you and how great you are; it's, at best, a complaint that the legal job market is bad. At worst, it's an indicating that you shift blame externally and would not be fun to work with. I trust these things aren't the case, but make sure people know this: make the ad about yourself, not about your struggle to get a job.

I'd insert the same generalities about your boss's prestige you've shared in this thread and call your school a top school in the market (is that true - are you still in GA?). I think the stuff about associates being able to make money for partners is good stuff, but should have a friendlier angle - not a demand at the hiring partner you're theoretically talking to, but a friendly tip to them: "I am an associate that will not be a burden to a partnership - I will do what partners look for in an associate: increase profits." Get rid of "unfortunately, no one seems to care."

If you're half the lawyer you say you are, you'll know that this isn't the way to convince someone that you have merit. Would you really go to court and tell the judge, "everyone thinks my client is guilty. He's great - he's a great guy; what's wrong with these judges - they are a bunch of idiots." Right?

Get rid of "hire me" at the end and leave "E-mail me." I think you have some subtlety earlier on in making it kind of unclear whether you're out of a job or just sort of looking elsewhere (good), but this makes it obvious you're desperate for employment.

Good luck.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 pm

I think the powers that be at Craigslist agree with y'all because the ad never posted. I'm going to revise it and tone it down; we'll see if it goes up.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 pm

If you do get an ad up and it ends up on Above the law- don't read the comments. Fair warning. ATL can't out you unless somehow they find out your identity. And , yes, I think they would write about this type of ad. They did an article on a person who bought google adwords to look for a job. They love stories about unemployed lawyers trying new ways to get jobs.

I still don't think this is the best way to proceed..

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:40 pm

sunynp wrote:If you do get an ad up and it ends up on Above the law- don't read the comments. Fair warning. ATL can't out you unless somehow they find out your identity. And , yes, I think they would write about this type of ad. They did an article on a person who bought google adwords to look for a job. They love stories about unemployed lawyers trying new ways to get jobs.

I still don't think this is the best way to proceed..

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:03 am

I dialed it down.

NC-licensed attorney seeking a full-time associate position or possibly an office share arrangement.

I'm a litigator with two years of trial experience. I graduated from a good, tier 1 law school. My former employers have nothing but great things to say about my abilities as an attorney and my ability to get along well with people. I understand that good lawyering means extensive preparation and putting in long hours in order to be successful. I have real trial experience, having handled several motions, trials, and appeals on my own. I understand how to grow a firm's business and turn a profit for my boss. I'm experienced, but also young and willing to work for a paralegal's salary.

If you are a solo or a firm partner looking for new revenue streams or increased profits, I believe that I can expand your business while learning and working with you to take it to the next level.

I know it's getting harder and harder to get clients to pay and to pay on time, and legal employers everywhere are feeling the pinch. The economy may be in rough shape, but I see this as an exciting opportunity to innovate. If this sounds interesting to you, I would love to speak with you about how I can improve your business.

I'm looking for an opportunity to work closely with an experienced attorney and become the absolute best litigator I can ever be. I'm looking for a modest salary and basic health insurance, or perhaps we can talk about an office share and share the overhead costs of your solo practice. Please e-mail if interested!

Agent

Postby Agent » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 am

I think it looks much better.

Here are some minor suggestions (blue = add; red = delete). I'd also consider switching or blending the last two paragraphs, though I guess that might mean reworking some of the language about office-sharing. I wish there were more we could do to help.

The Valkyrie wrote:NC-licensed attorney seeking a full-time associate position or possibly an office share arrangement.

I'm a litigator with two years of trial experience. I graduated from a good, tier 1 law school. I have real trial experience -- having handled several motions, trials, and appeals on my own -- and my previous My former employers have nothing but great things to say about memy abilities as an attorney and my ability to get along well with people. I understand that good successful lawyering requires long hours of extensive preparationmeans extensive preparation and putting in long hours in order to be successful. I have real trial experience, having handled several motions, trials, and appeals on my own. I also understand how to grow a firm's business and turn a profit for my boss. I'm experienced, but also young and willing to work for a paralegal's salary.

If you are a solo or a firm partner looking for new revenue streams or increased profits, I believe that I can expand your business while learning and working with you to take it to the next level. [insert a hint or two as to how]

I know it's getting harder and harder to get clients to pay and to pay on time, and legal employers everywhere are feeling the pinch. The economy may be in rough shape, but I see this as an exciting opportunity to innovate. If this sounds interesting to you, I would love to speak with you about how I can improve your business.

I'm looking for an opportunityI hope to work closely with an experienced attorney and become the absolute best litigator I can ever be. I'm looking for a modest salary and basic health insurance, or perhaps we can talk about an office share and share the overhead costs of your solo practice. Please e-mail if you're interested!

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 am

Agent wrote:I think it looks much better.

Here are some minor suggestions (blue = add; red = delete). I'd also consider switching or blending the last two paragraphs, though I guess that might mean reworking some of the language about office-sharing. I wish there were more we could do to help.

The Valkyrie wrote:NC-licensed attorney seeking a full-time associate position or possibly an office share arrangement.

I'm a litigator with two years of trial experience. I graduated from a good, tier 1 law school. I have real trial experience -- having handled several motions, trials, and appeals on my own -- and my previous My former employers have nothing but great things to say about memy abilities as an attorney and my ability to get along well with people. I understand that good successful lawyering requires long hours of extensive preparationmeans extensive preparation and putting in long hours in order to be successful. I have real trial experience, having handled several motions, trials, and appeals on my own. I also understand how to grow a firm's business and turn a profit for my boss. I'm experienced, but also young and willing to work for a paralegal's salary.

If you are a solo or a firm partner looking for new revenue streams or increased profits, I believe that I can expand your business while learning and working with you to take it to the next level. [insert a hint or two as to how]

I'm looking for an opportunityI hope to work closely with an experienced attorney and become the absolute best litigator I can ever be. I'm looking for a modest salary and basic health insurance, or perhaps we can talk about an office share and share the overhead costs of your solo practice. Please e-mail if you're interested!

+1.. OP's revision was a bit colloquial. Make it more, professional , as Agent has done. You want to sound professional/clear; this can be accomplished by reducing the clutter in your advertisement. Just my .02cents.

Return to “Legal Employment”