Rate my Craigslist ad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Valkyrie

Rate my Craigslist ad

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:40 am

I'm a litigator with two years of trial experience. I graduated from a good, tier 1 law school. My former employers have nothing but great things to say about my abilities as an attorney and my ability to get along well with people. I'm tough. I know that being an attorney means extensive preparation and putting in long hours in order to be successful. I have real trial experience. I understand how to grow a firm's business and turn a profit for my boss. I'm experienced, but also young and willing to work for a paralegal's salary.

So why can't I get an interview?

I see ads being repeatedly posted on here asking for candidates that are less qualified than I am. I apply, send in all of the requested materials, and I don't even get a "thanks but no thanks" response. Then they post the ad again a week later. What exactly is the problem here? I know it's a "buyer's market," but COME ON. What is going on with this profession? Did everyone forget that hiring an associate can actually mean MORE profits? Have partners and older attorneys lost their nerve? I understand that any posting on here will bring on a flood of JD resumes, but I don't understand why the same ads get posted over and over while I sit here, with seven years of higher education and two years of first-chair litigation experience, unable to even get a rejection letter back.

I work hard, I'm a smart person, and I'm a good young attorney. I can expand your business while learning and working with you to take it to the next level. Unfortunately, no one seems to care. It almost seems as if legal employers are happily using the bad economy as an excuse to become complacent and coast. I know it's getting harder and harder to get clients to pay and to pay on time, but I see this as an exciting opportunity to innovate. Virtual offices. Online marketing. Even alternative compensation. If the legal profession is changing (which it is), then you need someone to help you change with it. I can be that person.

I'm looking for an opportunity to work closely with an experienced attorney and frankly, kick ass in this business. It's an arrangement that's been around for a while in the legal profession: you pay me a yearly salary and provide health insurance, and I work my tail off to grow your business and bring in a lot more than what you're paying for me. Does this sound interesting to you? Email me. Hire me.

Sincerely,

Someone who WANTS TO WORK.
Last edited by The Valkyrie on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Re: Rate my Craigslist ad

Postby ph14 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:44 am

The Valkyrie wrote:I'm a litigator with two years of trial experience. I graduated from a good, tier 1 law school. My former employers have nothing but great things to say about my abilities as an attorney and my ability to get along well with people. I'm tough. I know that being an attorney means extensive preparation and putting in long hours in order to be successful. I have real trial experience. I understand how to grow a firm's business and turn a profit for my boss. I'm experienced, but also young and willing to work for a paralegal's salary.

So why can't I get an interview?

I see ads being repeatedly posted on here asking for candidates that are less qualified than I am. I apply, send in all of the requested materials, and I don't even get a "thanks but no thanks" response. Then they post the ad again a week later. What exactly is the problem here? I know it's a "buyer's market," but COME ON. What is going on with this profession? Did everyone forget that hiring an associate can actually mean MORE profits? Have partners and older attorneys lost their nerve? I understand that any posting on here will bring on a flood of JD resumes, but I don't understand why the same ads get posted over and over while I sit here, with seven years of higher education and two years of first-chair litigation experience, unable to even get a rejection letter back.

I work hard, I'm a smart person, and I'm a good young attorney. I can expand your business while learning and working with you to take it to the next level. Unfortunately, no one seems to care. It almost seems as if legal employers are happily using the bad economy as an excuse to become complacent and coast. I know it's getting harder and harder to get clients to pay and to pay on time, but I see this as an exciting opportunity to innovate. Virtual offices. Online marketing. Even alternative compensation. If the legal profession is changing (which it is), then you need someone to help you change with it. I can be that person.

I'm looking for an opportunity to work closely with an experienced attorney and (to put it rudely) kick ass in this business. It's an arrangement that's been around for a while in the legal profession: you pay me a yearly salary and provide health insurance, and I work my tail off to grow your business and bring in a lot more than what you're paying for me. Does this sound interesting to you? Email me. Hire me.

Sincerely,

Someone who WANTS TO WORK.

Sounds like you have good experience. Hang in there, something will come through.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:48 am

Welcome to the world's best "profession."

gators88

Postby gators88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 am

I like it. Might as well be aggressive. You have to distinguish yourself.

I would change "To Put it Rudely" to simply "frankly, without the parantheses.

Good luck. Hopefully some lawyers in your target market see it and send it around a bit via email.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:51 am

Cool ad. Since it's anonymous, there is almost no downside to posting an add that is a little inflammatory. If I were hiring, based on your ad I'd at least want to interview you to find out how you'd accomplish the things you're talking about.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:52 am

sounds like a good way to end up on ATL rather than with a job, imo.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:54 am

traehekat wrote:sounds like a good way to end up on ATL rather than with a job, imo.

I'm not really expecting it to lead to a job. And I hope atl has better stuff to post than this. I don't know though I've never read it.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am

traehekat wrote:sounds like a good way to end up on ATL rather than with a job, imo.

All the better for them. More exposure.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am

gators88 wrote:I like it. Might as well be aggressive. You have to distinguish yourself.

I would change "To Put it Rudely" to simply "frankly, without the parantheses.

Good luck. Hopefully some lawyers in your target market see it and send it around a bit via email.

Good note

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:59 am

The Valkyrie wrote:

I'm not really expecting it to lead to a job. And I hope atl has better stuff to post than this. I don't know though I've never read it.

unfortunately they really dont have better stuff to post. best of luck to you out there though, like someone else said it sounds like have some experience that you can really sell, just have to get in front of some people to sell it to. :)

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:05 am

traehekat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:

unfortunately they really dont have better stuff to post. best of luck to you out there though, like someone else said it sounds like have some experience that you can really sell, just have to get in front of some people to sell it to. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I'm getting a little frustrated. Like the ad says, I have experience, great recs, and I'm not even ugly or anything. Makes me wonder if I'm not even getting interviews for all of these jobs I am applying for, what kind of candidates are they interviewing/selecting? Fucking Matlock's ghost?

I'm trying to avoid "hanging a shingle" as I don't have any disposable income to throw at stuff like a website and malpractice insurance. I guess we will see. If it comes down to that and my unemployment runs out, I guess I can eat ramen for a few months and do that...

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 am

The Valkyrie wrote:
traehekat wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm getting a little frustrated. Like the ad says, I have experience, great recs, and I'm not even ugly or anything. Makes me wonder if I'm not even getting interviews for all of these jobs I am applying for, what kind of candidates are they interviewing/selecting? Fucking Matlock's ghost?

I'm trying to avoid "hanging a shingle" as I don't have any disposable income to throw at stuff like a website and malpractice insurance. I guess we will see. If it comes down to that and my unemployment runs out, I guess I can eat ramen for a few months and do that...

Not trying to offend, but what happened to your last job if you did so well/are getting good recs?

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 am

It's kind of a weird story. So after I had been thee for about a year and a half, my boss (and only equity partner at the firm) got really sick and was in the hospital for a long time. There were two other partners, but they practiced in different areas than my sick boss and I. Sick boss was the main rainmaker (major workaholic type). With her gone, we had to cut a lot of costs. She also wasn't the most frugal businessperson...we were in a taj mahal of an office. So she was out for about 3 months, we let some staff go, and she nd I had a meeting after she had recovered a bit. She told me that she was going to come back on a part time basis and just work with me exclusively since I was still learning, etc. I was over the moon since that meant I could keep working there AND I would get more one on one mentor/mentee time with her. Well, she went out again after that, had some complications, and literally the next conversation we had was that the firm had to be downsized and restructured. Her two partners left, the staff was cut in half, and I got laid off because I hadn't developed my own client base yet.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:08 am

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:17 am

Didn't you get a job working for that family friend mentioned in that thread that was discussing suffolk grads?

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:24 am

Flame OR what OP means by "tier 1" is USNWR Top 100 law schools AND "graduated from a good, tier 1 law school" means "graduated in the bottom quarter of my class at Cincinnati University Law School (Or some other law school that is technically ranked, but you've never heard of)." I truly am sorry for making this sort of comment, because I really don't appreciate the generally pretentious attitude on this message board, but anyone who can tell the story you just told and has "two years of [FIRST-CHAIR] litigation experience" was working at an absolute joke of a firm - I don't care how sweet your office was. You're not getting replies for a reason, my man. Reevaluate.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 am

OP: Your Craigslist ad is a bit unprofessional, in my opinion. Also, responses are unlikely due to your lack of specialization.

P.S. If you are seeking a close mentorship/working relationship in a small firm, then you need to network in person at bar events.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:54 am

OP: I have been following your job search and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I agree with the advice about going to networking events and every bar event you can. If there are CLEs then see if you can go for free or at a reduced rate because you are unemployed. Ask your old boss for contacts, she should help with that.

Do not post this ad. My read is that you are frustrated by employers. You spend too much time complaining about not even getting a reply when, if you are going to do this, you should be selling your qualities as an associate. Focus on the litigation you have done; focus on what you would do to help them grow their business. Tell them what you know how to do.You don't want to complain, you want to convince them to hire you.

I don't think this particular ad will get you a job.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 pm

merc280 wrote:Didn't you get a job working for that family friend mentioned in that thread that was discussing suffolk grads?

The job I got laid off from is the job I got through a personal connection. Really a friend of a family friend.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm

impressivekowalski wrote:Flame OR what OP means by "tier 1" is USNWR Top 100 law schools AND "graduated from a good, tier 1 law school" means "graduated in the bottom quarter of my class at Cincinnati University Law School (Or some other law school that is technically ranked, but you've never heard of)." I truly am sorry for making this sort of comment, because I really don't appreciate the generally pretentious attitude on this message board, but anyone who can tell the story you just told and has "two years of [FIRST-CHAIR] litigation experience" was working at an absolute joke of a firm - I don't care how sweet your office was. You're not getting replies for a reason, my man. Reevaluate.

You're wrong. I went to uga. My firm was not a joke; my former boss was/is probably the most sought-after family lawyer in this town, and probably this judicial district.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:14 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
impressivekowalski wrote:Flame OR what OP means by "tier 1" is USNWR Top 100 law schools AND "graduated from a good, tier 1 law school" means "graduated in the bottom quarter of my class at Cincinnati University Law School (Or some other law school that is technically ranked, but you've never heard of)." I truly am sorry for making this sort of comment, because I really don't appreciate the generally pretentious attitude on this message board, but anyone who can tell the story you just told and has "two years of [FIRST-CHAIR] litigation experience" was working at an absolute joke of a firm - I don't care how sweet your office was. You're not getting replies for a reason, my man. Reevaluate.

You're wrong. I went to uga. My firm was not a joke; my former boss was/is probably the most sought-after family lawyer in this town, and probably this judicial district.

Dude if you were right you'd have a job right now. I agree with other responses that this ad is funny but super unprofessional. Looking for a job is like sales, which means you have to expect to hear no and move on. The way you describe how you lost your job also shows you lack professionalism-- you should have seen it coming and should have built a book of business instead of blindly trusting things would work out. Also being a lawyer at the smallaw level is all about sales too. Are you going to post a similar message when you lose clients to a competitor? You act like it's some mystery why you don't have a job but there is no mystery. Lawyers who want to hire in your market are hiring other candidates they perceive as more qualified. You only have 1 option - hustle harder. I'd say welcome to real life but clearly it has already smacked you in the face. Now you need to change your attitude and how you respond. Don't really feel sorry for you. There are thousands of JD's in your position (or even worse with no experience) who don't throw temper tantrums on CL. If you actually are just joking around and realize this is unprofessional and don't expect to get a job out of it, that's fine. But if you are serious, then uhhh... u need to re-evaluate.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:21 pm

I would have liked to have developed my own book while I was there. The situation was basically this: potential clients would call and ask for Former Boss because of her reputation. Former Boss was perpetually too busy to take on new clients, so our receptionist would try to sell them on me or another associate there, but the people never wanted us, they wanted her. If they were the kind of folks who would be ok with a less experienced associate, they usually balked at the mandatory retainer. While I was there I wanted to develop new practice areas (criminal) but I wasn't allowed to.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:26 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:I would have liked to have developed my own book while I was there. The situation was basically this: potential clients would call and ask for Former Boss because of her reputation. Former Boss was perpetually too busy to take on new clients, so our receptionist would try to sell them on me or another associate there, but the people never wanted us, they wanted her. If they were the kind of folks who would be ok with a less experienced associate, they usually balked at the mandatory retainer. While I was there I wanted to develop new practice areas (criminal) but I wasn't allowed to.

Yea dude I'm sure it wasn't your fault the world is just out to get you.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:

Dude if you were right you'd have a job right now. I agree with other responses that this ad is funny but super unprofessional. Looking for a job is like sales, which means you have to expect to hear no and move on. The way you describe how you lost your job also shows you lack professionalism-- you should have seen it coming and should have built a book of business instead of blindly trusting things would work out. Also being a lawyer at the smallaw level is all about sales too. Are you going to post a similar message when you lose clients to a competitor? You act like it's some mystery why you don't have a job but there is no mystery. Lawyers who want to hire in your market are hiring other candidates they perceive as more qualified. You only have 1 option - hustle harder. I'd say welcome to real life but clearly it has already smacked you in the face. Now you need to change your attitude and how you respond. Don't really feel sorry for you. There are thousands of JD's in your position (or even worse with no experience) who don't throw temper tantrums on CL. If you actually are just joking around and realize this is unprofessional and don't expect to get a job out of it, that's fine. But if you are serious, then uhhh... u need to re-evaluate.

Thanks for your reply. I agree that looking for a job is like sales and believe me, I'm prepared to get a lot of no's before I get any maybes, but my point is that I'm not even getting rejection letters-it's like throwing resumes into a black hole. I'm hustling pretty hard. Ive done things like make biz cards with my picture and a mini resume on them, handing them out at bar meetings and whatnot. I've been trying to exploit my connections with judges and whatnot. Hearing "no" would be great-not hearing a peep is what is bothering m.

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me, although I do take issue with the first sentence of your post. If I were right I would have a job by now? How exactly do you know? Are you an attorney? What qualifies you to make that statement? Reading message boards? Sorry, but that's a really head-up-your-ass comment.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I believe that you are trying very hard (though might not be your best)
however, your craigslist list ad is really whiny. It will taint your reputation if people find out its you who wrote it.

Return to “Legal Employment”