Federalist Society & NYC BigLaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federalist Society & NYC BigLaw

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Better to include or exclude the Federalist Society (where person holds a position and is not just a generic member) from the resume when mass-mailing NYC biglaw firms?

Anonymous User

Re: Federalist Society & NYC BigLaw

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Better to include or exclude the Federalist Society (where person holds a position and is not just a generic member) from the resume when mass-mailing NYC biglaw firms?
Non-factor, so leave it on if you want. This isn't like applying to judicial clerkships.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Better to include or exclude the Federalist Society (where person holds a position and is not just a generic member) from the resume when mass-mailing NYC biglaw firms?
Personally, I would leave it off unless you have something really cool you can talk about. I doubt anyone really cares, but there's always a slight chance you'll annoy someone.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:23 pm

I think it's too political to put on there. People will immediately think you are a staunch conservative, and will judge you on it. Same reason as when your CSO told you never to discuss a political issue during an interview.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:44 pm

zomginternets wrote:I think it's too political to put on there. People will immediately think you are a staunch conservative, and will judge you on it. Same reason as when your CSO told you never to discuss a political issue during an interview.
Yeah, David Lat sure learned his lesson.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:49 pm

OFF!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
zomginternets wrote:I think it's too political to put on there. People will immediately think you are a staunch conservative, and will judge you on it. Same reason as when your CSO told you never to discuss a political issue during an interview.
If you go to Yale and clerk, it's just a wee bit different.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Why risk it?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I think it's basically a non-issue, as it's unlikely to help or hurt much at all. If you have any other law school activities to pad the resume with, I'd use those and leave it off; if not, then I'd leave it on.

As an aside, I actually think that it's safer to have something on your resume that politically affiliates you with progressives than conservatives; not because you are more likely to find a like-minded interviewer, but because in my experience, Lefties are far more judge-ey and intolerant of political affiliations they don't like. In other words, I think you're better off sending an arch-conservative a resume with your ACLU membership on it than sending a similarly liberal person a resume with FedSoc on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:24 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Worked at WLRK before he clerked...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
No.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

See http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/techn ... gewanted=2

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm

At any rate, the "if a gay minority with 9th circuit/Wachtell credentials can associate himself with staunch conservatives and get away with it, I can too" rationale might not be the one to follow.

I am certainly not saying it will necessarily hurt you. Maybe someone saw "windsurfing" on my resume and immediately hated me because he likes to take his motorboat out on the weekend and windsurfers are always getting in his way. You never know what might irk someone, or make them take a liking to you. It just makes sense to leave off obviously divisive things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Would the "leave it off" general response be the same if you're on the board? Or does that make it worth it?

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Who gives a double somersaulting flying rats ass. It's irrelevant, no one will care.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Don't put anything on a resume that is divisive.
Politics is divisive.
Don't include politics on a resume.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 pm

duckmoney wrote:Would the "leave it off" general response be the same if you're on the board? Or does that make it worth it?
Why would a stronger commitment to a divisive group be better??

Also, people list orgs that they don't have positions for? Just like, "member"? Really?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 pm

If political affiliation is enough to tilt your app one way or the other wouldn't you have to be an incredibly marginal candidate to begin with? I don't see how political affiliation could affect your work product, especially doing stuff like doc review or due diligence.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 pm

IAFG wrote:At any rate, the "if a gay minority with 9th circuit/Wachtell credentials can associate himself with staunch conservatives and get away with it, I can too" rationale might not be the one to follow.

I am certainly not saying it will necessarily hurt you. Maybe someone saw "windsurfing" on my resume and immediately hated me because he likes to take his motorboat out on the weekend and windsurfers are always getting in his way. You never know what might irk someone, or make them take a liking to you. It just makes sense to leave off obviously divisive things.
ya this is mad true. i put fantasy football league champ on my resume and at one firm, it was a great talking point. at another, a partner got REALLY pissed because he had never won in their office league in over 10 years and started talking shit.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
IAFG wrote:At any rate, the "if a gay minority with 9th circuit/Wachtell credentials can associate himself with staunch conservatives and get away with it, I can too" rationale might not be the one to follow.

ya this is mad true. i put fantasy football league champ on my resume and at one firm, it was a great talking point. at another, a partner got REALLY pissed because he had never won in their office league in over 10 years and started talking shit.
Stop. Just stop.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

Stop. Just stop.
haters gonna hate. my story was serious even if you think my language is inglorious. u stop, mr. came into this thread just to tell somebody else to stop. why don't you contribute to the discussion or gtfo?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:14 am

c3pO4 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

Stop. Just stop.
haters gonna hate. my story was serious even if you think my language is inglorious. u stop, mr. came into this thread just to tell somebody else to stop. why don't you contribute to the discussion or gtfo?
I did. Try reading a few posts above.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:16 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
I did. Try reading a few posts above.
ok. i retract.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:20 am

IAFG wrote:
Also, people list orgs that they don't have positions for? Just like, "member"? Really?
"Frequent Participant in Free Lunches, ________ Society.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 am

buckilaw wrote:If political affiliation is enough to tilt your app one way or the other wouldn't you have to be an incredibly marginal candidate to begin with? I don't see how political affiliation could affect your work product, especially doing stuff like doc review or due diligence.
Dude, everyone's a marginal candidate ITE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”