Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:06 pm

I put together a list of all the firms that report hiring 1Ls, sorted by number of 1Ls they hired. Figured this would be useful for others like me, who aren't going to waste time applying to a ton of firms given the low odds of success, but want to maximize the chances of success with those you do apply to.

Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

These aren't sorted by location, and some firms appear more than once because of multiple offices.

If there's a decimal (4.5 1Ls hired), that just means there are 4-5 expected to be hired.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Commenting on the Southern Firms (BABC, Baker Donelson, Balch & Bingham, Burr & Forman, Butler Snow, etc.):

They all require very strong ties. Whether it's Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, or Louisville, you better be able to show a good tie to that city or you won't even get a callback. Also, a lot of these firms reserve a certain amount of 1L SA spots for diverse candidates.

HTH.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Commenting on the Southern Firms (BABC, Baker Donelson, Balch & Bingham, Burr & Forman, Butler Snow, etc.):

They all require very strong ties. Whether it's Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, or Louisville, you better be able to show a good tie to that city or you won't even get a callback. Also, a lot of these firms reserve a certain amount of 1L SA spots for diverse candidates.

HTH.


I'm not proclaiming this is my foolproof method of beating the system, its just meant to be a convenience for 1Ls who want to be able to see the firms that hire 1Ls at a quick glance. I've acknowledged the odds are low regardless.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Great post!

Thank you for taking the time to do that

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Commenting on the Southern Firms (BABC, Baker Donelson, Balch & Bingham, Burr & Forman, Butler Snow, etc.):

They all require very strong ties. Whether it's Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, or Louisville, you better be able to show a good tie to that city or you won't even get a callback. Also, a lot of these firms reserve a certain amount of 1L SA spots for diverse candidates.

HTH.



Being from the South in general is enough for most of those firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:09 am

Gibson had 6 1Ls last year rather than 2: one each in NYC, DC, SF, LA, Denver, and Dallas.

Paul, Weiss had 11; 10 in NYC, and 1 that split between NYC and Hong Kong.

MoFo had 3, but I can't figure out where they were.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 am

It's a bit ridiculous how Texas firms dominate this list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:23 am

You should add Alston & Bird to the list. The ATL office hired 3 1Ls in 2010 and 4 in 2011. The LA, Charlotte, and NYC offices each had 1 as well in 2011 (not sure about other offices for 2010).

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should add Alston & Bird to the list. The ATL office hired 3 1Ls in 2010 and 4 in 2011. The LA, Charlotte, and NYC offices each had 1 as well in 2011 (not sure about other offices for 2010).

The one in LA was a diversity fellowship and was from a TTT. Yes, TTTers get 1L SAs too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

thegrayman
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby thegrayman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:49 pm

For the diversity hires, are those candidates that are part of some formal diversity program prior to applying for a 1L position, or do they just include on their application that they are a URM?

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 pm

thegrayman wrote:For the diversity hires, are those candidates that are part of some formal diversity program prior to applying for a 1L position, or do they just include on their application that they are a URM?


Most firms have specific scholarship applications on their websites. They also send out the applications to diverse law school orgs like BLSA etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 pm

I think Mayer Brown Chicago has taken 1 or 2 1L's recently but I also think they were Yalies. I could be wrong.

Sidley definitely took 1L's in the past, not sure about now.

Schiff Hardin and Vedder Price Chicago are famous for taking 1L's.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Add Miller & Martin
Last summer Atlanta had ~2, Chattanooga had ~5, and Nashville had ~4

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think Mayer Brown Chicago has taken 1 or 2 1L's recently but I also think they were Yalies. I could be wrong.

Sidley definitely took 1L's in the past, not sure about now.

Schiff Hardin and Vedder Price Chicago are famous for taking 1L's.


Sidley was pretty unequivocal about the fact that they did not take 1Ls as of summer 2011. Since they have decreased class sizes so much since 2009 & onwards, their class fills up with 2Ls & they can't take any 1Ls. Don't know if this will hold true for summer 2012, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

Skadden hires 1Ls. Pretty sure Latham does too. They aren't on the list?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby NYC Law » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden hires 1Ls. Pretty sure Latham does too. They aren't on the list?


Maybe they don't report it to NALP that they've hired >0? I just went through every nalp firm that actually hires any and added them, but if it's something like 'hires 1Ls', but they report 0 for 2010 and 0 expected for 2011 I removed them from the list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 220499
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson had 6 1Ls last year rather than 2: one each in NYC, DC, SF, LA, Denver, and Dallas.

Paul, Weiss had 11; 10 in NYC, and 1 that split between NYC and Hong Kong.

MoFo had 3, but I can't figure out where they were.


Just a correction, Gibson Dunn had 3 1Ls in NYC, not one. Not sure about the other offices.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Firms that hire 1Ls by # of SAs

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 am

nice




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.