Google AdWords

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

Google AdWords

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm

ATL recently ran a post about a law student who bought advertising through Google AdWords (http://abovethelaw.com/2011/11/an-interview-with-the-2l-whos-advertising-himself-on-google/). I decided to give it a shot and my OCS counselor thought it was at least a novel idea. So far it's been up a week, directing people to my Linkedin profile (I know the ATL guy had a website and I agree that would look better, but this is more of a test then a real effort). Targeted about 1,000 keywords in the markets I'm interested in that deal with terms I could imagine a practitioner searching or at least using. Screened out terms that I don't want, like those relating to students looking for outlines or course materials. Also targeted some websites that host ads in my area of interest. ~6,000 impressions so far, 1 click, total cost ~$2.00.

Has anyone else tried this strategy? Any ideas on how to make it work better if it is indeed a viable strategy?

Re: Google AdWords

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:46 pm

You realize ATL was making fun of that guy right?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:50 pm

i dont understand. nobody is going to beg you to work for them. find the jobs, then contact the hiring people. ads are lazy and infective, UNLESS they are on LinkedIn and you are targeting people who you've already emailed (i.e. they are ignoring you). that's still sad but at least it makes some sense.

and ya, ATL was making a joke about that guy. maybe if you are trying to land a SEM job, an adwords campaign might be novel and show initiative, but you are applying for a legal job...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

blowhard wrote:You realize ATL was making fun of that guy right?

Yes, I realized that. I also realized that in talking to practicing lawyers that one element they care about is name recognition. One callback I got entirely on the basis that the interviewer had blown off my informational email several months ago and recognized my unusual last name. He was very apologetic for blowing me off and gave me a callback. This is even less effective, but for $2, I don't see the harm.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:34 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
blowhard wrote:You realize ATL was making fun of that guy right?

Yes, I realized that. I also realized that in talking to practicing lawyers that one element they care about is name recognition. One callback I got entirely on the basis that the interviewer had blown off my informational email several months ago and recognized my unusual last name. He was very apologetic for blowing me off and gave me a callback. This is even less effective, but for $2, I don't see the harm.

You're discounting the fact they may think its tacky and remember your name for the wrong reasons. It's all about context. Companies pay billions to get there name out there. But Disney doesn't sponsor ads in strip joints.

Return to “Legal Employment”