1L Judicial intern

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
37duncan
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 pm

1L Judicial intern

Postby 37duncan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 pm

For those of you who had a judicial "clerkship" 1L summer, did you mail anything in addition to resume & cover letter? Is a writing sample absolutely necessary? Any other relevant application tips also appreciated. thanks!

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby monkey85 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Generally, just resume + cover letter - they will ask for the writing sample later if they want it.

However, if the judge has also listed on your school's Symplicity/Job-posting website, make sure to double check the requirements. They may be the one that is asking for the triumvirate (cover letter, resume, writing sample) from the get go.

Get them in before Christmas break if you can. Best District Courts start interviewing once you hit the ground in Spring (my turnaround for NYC: applied December, interview mid-January, offer beginning of February - no grades requested at any point, but that is not the norm).

Other than that. Nothing else.

37duncan
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 37duncan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks!

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby DrGuano » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Had about 100 resumes/cover letters ready to go on December 1. Got two interviews right off the bat, set up the SDNY one first, got it a day later and that was that. No grades, no writing sample. Done before the end of winter break.

Be prepared and have a ton of envelopes ready to go on Dec 1.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Also interested.

ninja tag

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby kaiser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 pm

I sent out about 120-130 nice envelopes with a resume and cover letter each. No grades were available at the time (I sent my transcript once they came out), and only sent writing sample when someone would call up requesting it (which was very rare). Cost a few hundred bucks for all the printing and mailing (damn it judges, learn how to use email!!), but I had a wonderful experience at my internship, and it was invaluable going into OCI since I had some really good stories to share based on the work I did and the interactions I had with the judge (which is the most important thing at interviews).

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Also interested.

ninja tag

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby quiver » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:27 am

I was apparently not quite as motivated as others ITT. Applied to judges as soon as I got back for second semester (late January). Got the job in late March without interviewing. I got pretty lucky in hindsight given that I only applied to 2-3 judges. Definitely suggest doing this:
kaiser wrote:I sent out about 120-130 nice envelopes with a resume and cover letter each. No grades were available at the time (I sent my transcript once they came out), and only sent writing sample when someone would call up requesting it (which was very rare). Cost a few hundred bucks for all the printing and mailing (damn it judges, learn how to use email!!), but I had a wonderful experience at my internship, and it was invaluable going into OCI since I had some really good stories to share based on the work I did and the interactions I had with the judge (which is the most important thing at interviews).
DrGuano wrote:Had about 100 resumes/cover letters ready to go on December 1. Got two interviews right off the bat, set up the SDNY one first, got it a day later and that was that. No grades, no writing sample. Done before the end of winter break.

Be prepared and have a ton of envelopes ready to go on Dec 1.

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby NinerFan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:55 am

Call up the chambers of judges you're interested in and ask. I did this and found out that all of the judges I wanted to apply to preferred to receive applications via email, and also found out whether they wanted writing samples, references, etc.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby traehekat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:49 am

Sent envelopes with resume, cover letter, transcript, and writing sample to all the judges I applied to. In hindsight I probably overdid it, I probably could have just emailed all that stuff (not always easy to find the email address to send it all out to, though). Ended up interning with a federal magistrate judge, great experience and I would recommend everyone without a sweet big firm gig look into doing a judicial internships with their first summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:00 am

Cover letter
Resume
Transcript
Writing Sample
List of Professional References (3)

All of the judges preferred paper copies rather than electronic copies.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:08 am

I have heard about people sending fancy folders in for clerkships.

Has anyone sent their materials in a folder with your school's name on it or anything else like that for a judicial internship?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have heard about people sending fancy folders in for clerkships.

Has anyone sent their materials in a folder with your school's name on it or anything else like that for a judicial internship?


No. First of all, the envelope won't matter at all. All mail to federal courthouses gets opened in the basement mail room and the envelope thrown away. I used fancy paper (buy a box of business paper...same as resume but cheaper) but in hindsight it absolutely didn't matter. The copy the judge had at my interview was copied onto regular anyhow.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter
Resume
Transcript
Writing Sample
List of Professional References (3)

All of the judges preferred paper copies rather than electronic copies.


Don't send all of this at once. Send cover/resume. If they want other stuff they will email specific requests to you. I was never asked for transcript/references. And my judge had specific requirements for the writing sample.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:43 am

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard about people sending fancy folders in for clerkships.

Has anyone sent their materials in a folder with your school's name on it or anything else like that for a judicial internship?


No. First of all, the envelope won't matter at all. All mail to federal courthouses gets opened in the basement mail room and the envelope thrown away. I used fancy paper (buy a box of business paper...same as resume but cheaper) but in hindsight it absolutely didn't matter. The copy the judge had at my interview was copied onto regular anyhow.


This is not true. The mail goes through an x-ray machine and may be opened if suspicious but every piece of mail came in its original packaging to both federal courthouses I've been in. Some federal courthouses may not get the envelope but the several I have been in do. The envelope won't matter much though as long as it is new, except for the address labels. I highly recommend printing both the to and the from address out on a computer. Judicial clerks seem to really care about the labels being professionally done and there is no reason not to.

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter
Resume
Transcript
Writing Sample
List of Professional References (3)

All of the judges preferred paper copies rather than electronic copies.


Don't send all of this at once. Send cover/resume. If they want other stuff they will email specific requests to you. I was never asked for transcript/references. And my judge had specific requirements for the writing sample.


I disagree with this as to the references but agree about the writing sample. There is no reason not to include them and they are a signal as to others being able to vouch for you. The clerks did actually call my references, first time that has ever happened too.

Of course if the Judge lists requirements somewhere follow them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 am

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard about people sending fancy folders in for clerkships.

Has anyone sent their materials in a folder with your school's name on it or anything else like that for a judicial internship?


No. First of all, the envelope won't matter at all. All mail to federal courthouses gets opened in the basement mail room and the envelope thrown away. I used fancy paper (buy a box of business paper...same as resume but cheaper) but in hindsight it absolutely didn't matter. The copy the judge had at my interview was copied onto regular anyhow.


I'm not talking about the envelope.

Putting your materials in a folder rather than just being loose in the envelope.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This is not true. The mail goes through an x-ray machine and may be opened if suspicious but every piece of mail came in its original packaging to both federal courthouses I've been in. Some federal courthouses may not get the envelope but the several I have been in do. The envelope won't matter much though as long as it is new, except for the address labels. I highly recommend printing both the to and the from address out on a computer. Judicial clerks seem to really care about the labels being professionally done and there is no reason not to.



Not according to the mail policy I was forced to read from DoJ/GSA/Judicial conference. All mail must be opened in a room with a separate ventilation system and envelopes discarded unless they meet certain requirements (e.g. habeas and no address on petition). I went with our clerks to get the mail dozens of times and we ALWAYS stopped to open it and toss the envelopes. Also FWIW, i did anti-terrorism work when I was in the military and x-ray machines cannot detect anthrax or other bio agents. Hence the requirement.

I would definitely print the address labels as the clerk will see it and could remember...handwritten would be idiotic. Don't waste money on resume paper though, you can buy business-class paper and envelopes in the same weight for half the price or less. They put resume on it and up the price because people will pay for it.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 am

I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard about people sending fancy folders in for clerkships.

Has anyone sent their materials in a folder with your school's name on it or anything else like that for a judicial internship?


No. First of all, the envelope won't matter at all. All mail to federal courthouses gets opened in the basement mail room and the envelope thrown away. I used fancy paper (buy a box of business paper...same as resume but cheaper) but in hindsight it absolutely didn't matter. The copy the judge had at my interview was copied onto regular anyhow.


I'm not talking about the envelope.

Putting your materials in a folder rather than just being loose in the envelope.


No. You should only be sending 2-3 pages so a normal envelope is perfectly fine.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?


One thing I learned from OCI...less is more. Don't give it unless asked for it. There is always a chance something will strike them as wrong.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby dood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter
Resume
Transcript
Writing Sample
List of Professional References (3)

All of the judges preferred paper copies rather than electronic copies.


This is correct, minus transcript if u don't have it. Also many CA fed judges prefer electronic online app system - check their website.

- former 1L CoA extern

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby dood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?


do u use a book....which is blue?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:11 pm

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?


do u use a book....which is blue?


I was just using that as an example and I would assume that example would be a negative. Are there "professor preferences" that you implement that could potentially hurt you?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby dood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?


do u use a book....which is blue?


I was just using that as an example and I would assume that example would be a negative. Are there "professor preferences" that you implement that could potentially hurt you?


like what

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Judicial intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 pm

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a concern with sending my writing sample.

What if you get a strong suspicion that what your professor is looking for is not consistent with the mainstream?

This is not the case but bear with me. What if your professor requires you to do citations in his or her own style? Are there any circumstances when a memo written according to your professors preferences would actually hurt you?


do u use a book....which is blue?


I was just using that as an example and I would assume that example would be a negative. Are there "professor preferences" that you implement that could potentially hurt you?


like what


This is just one example that I noticed that differed between professors. Some say absolutely no citation in the analysis section of the discussion. Some say that there should be when appropriate.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.