How important is it to get on board for LR?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How important is it to get on board for LR?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:not really sure either of you are in a position to be saying what constitutes an autoding.

maybe if lawfirmrecruiter were here...(looks around hopefully...)

I had offers from several V5s, V10s, and V15s. If they were A-OK with my not being on a journal, I doubt there are many firms ranked lower that are not similar in that regard. Yes, I didn't get Susman, but again my contention that auto-ding is the exception, not the norm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Here to echo those sentiments.

- T10 - top 10%.

- Got offers from everywhere I did CB's for, including 2 V5's and 3 V15s. I also got CBs from everywhere I interviewed with.

- No LR or Secondary Journal. None of my interviewers seemed to care much...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here to echo those sentiments.

- T10 - top 10%.

- Got offers from everywhere I did CB's for, including 2 V5's and 3 V15s. I also got CBs from everywhere I interviewed with.

Maybe it was just my interviewers?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here to echo those sentiments.

- T10 - top 10%.

Maybe it was just my interviewers?

Or just you? I know... impossible, right?

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 pm

I think part of your success may have to do with your excellent grades at a top school. For people further down the law school hierarchy, I think by on some journal is important.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:28 pm

At my firm (V20), journal membership is a prerequisite. No journal, no SA position. Additionally, I dont believe that board positions are a huge deal outside of the EIC, Managing, Executive positions that most people are aware of. There is some bump, but it is not significant.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Brassica7 wrote:I think part of your success may have to do with your excellent grades at a top school. For people further down the law school hierarchy, I think by on some journal is important.

That's a fairer statement, but still a far cry from "journal=autoding," wouldn't you say?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:44 pm

T10, Top 10% poster here.

I agree. I think the reason it makes less of a difference at my school is because grades are not taken into account as much, if at all, when they choose the LR members. At other schools I believe journal placement is more tightly linked to grades.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Doritos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does LR have any effect on your future career AFTER you have found an SA?

Depends on what you want to do. Academia? Fancy pants clerkship? LR will be highly desired for those positions.

What if you just want to drink cheap wine, eat wings, and be a BigLaw attorney?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:not really sure either of you are in a position to be saying what constitutes an autoding.

maybe if lawfirmrecruiter were here...(looks around hopefully...)

Look at associate lists at firms you're interested in. See if all (or even a majority) of the associates from schools in your range have some kind of journal. Profit. No need for independent verification from any particular HR dept.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Look at associate lists at firms you're interested in. See if all (or even a majority) of the associates from schools in your range have some kind of journal. Profit.

That's kind of a flawed study, since the vast majority of T14 students are on a journal of some sort, so it stands to reason that most associates at a big firm would have been on a journal of some sort.

But you're right to an extent. Insofar as one is trying to say that "not being on a journal is autoding," looking at firm profiles should be proof enough of whether that statement is true or false.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:49 am

It depends on the firm -

Susman Godfrey and some other super-elite firms, yes. Other firms will still give offers at 97% rate even to those w/o LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 pm

1. If you want a clerkship, get on the board.
2. If you want to go into academia, it's more important to get your note and another article or two published than to be on the board.
3. If you just want to go back to your 2L firm, they're not going to ding anyone for not getting a board position.
4. If you struck out, you should gun for it because every marginal benefit helps.
5. If you want to trade up, see #4.

/thread

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm

You seriously asked lawfirmrecruiter this question after this entire thread? Someone's neurotic...

Return to “Legal Employment”