How important is it to get on board for LR? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How important is it to get on board for LR?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 pm

I am actually ineligible for board position.
will this be detrimental in any way for the firm I'm summering with, or down the line?
I have no interest in clerking.

thanks.

Gold

Re: How important is it to get on board for LR?

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 pm

No, plenty of people don't join the board.

Why are you inelligible?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:49 pm

blowhard wrote:No, plenty of people don't join the board.

Why are you inelligible?
LR requires all members to write a note, but i cannot write one, due to personal reasons, and therefore they have told me that I cannot run.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Does LR have any effect on your future career AFTER you have found an SA?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does LR have any effect on your future career AFTER you have found an SA?
Depends on what you want to do. Academia? Fancy pants clerkship? LR will be highly desired for those positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Doritos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does LR have any effect on your future career AFTER you have found an SA?
Depends on what you want to do. Academia? Fancy pants clerkship? LR will be highly desired for those positions.
I already have LR and SA, how important is having a position on LR board for future career (remaining in big law)?

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Doritos wrote:
If you have an SA, all that matters is not getting no-offered. Then, all that matters is not washing out b4 your loans are paid off. Law review is not one of those things.

HTH.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why are you inelligible?
LR requires all members to write a note, but i cannot write one, due to personal reasons, and therefore they have told me that I cannot run.
Do you think you'd deserve a position where you can reject and criticize 2L notes if you cannot even write a note yourself? That's like being a fat PE teacher.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

shepdawg wrote:Do you think you'd deserve a position where you can reject and criticize 2L notes if you cannot even write a note yourself? That's like being a fat PE teacher.
That was out of left field. OP never said he/she deserved a position, nor did he/she criticize the policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

shepdawg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why are you inelligible?
Do you think you'd deserve a position where you can reject and criticize 2L notes if you cannot even write a note yourself? That's like being a fat PE teacher.
dude, i never argued that its unfair. i made my decision knowing i would not be able to. Now I'm asking whether my inability to get on board will be detrimental for getting offer after SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Doritos wrote:
I already have LR and SA, how important is having a position on LR board for future career (remaining in big law)?
interested as well.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:04 pm

From what I understand, for most purposes EIC is the only position that matters.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 am

Veyron wrote:From what I understand, for most purposes EIC is the only position that matters.
Even then, if you have a job it won't do anything. After a few years of experience, no one cares anymore. People want to know what firm you worked at, what you worked on/what you can do. People still care about where you went to law school though, but to a much lesser degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

No one will care.

(And, other than the fact it may have helped you get the SA job, no one will care that you were or were not on LR.)

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:45 pm

With respect to LR, it is not the case that EIC is the only thing that matters. That's kind of true for secondary journals - to the very small extent that such journals matter - but not for LR.

Anyway, no firm is going to no-offer you because you didn't get a board position. That would be crazy. Not everyone who runs for a LR board position can get one - even if they met the requirements to run. The only thing board positions matter for is the clerkship process - and even then, it's not a big deal for most judges - and you've said that you're not interested in that process.

I wouldn't even remotely worry about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Cavalier wrote:Most firms no-offer those on law review who fail to attain Board positions.
I hope you're being sarcastic...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Most firms no-offer those on law review who fail to attain Board positions.
I hope you're being sarcastic...
Cavalier wrote:Most firms no-offer those on law review who fail to attain Board positions. Seriously though

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

What about those of us who struck out . . . and whose grades likely won't be quite high enough for district clerkship

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm

With respect to LR, it is not the case that EIC is the only thing that matters. That's kind of true for secondary journals - to the very small extent that such journals matter - but not for LR.
Secondary journals matter a great deal, not being on at least a secondary journal = autoding at lots of firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Now I'm asking whether my inability to get on board will be detrimental for getting offer after SA.
It won't.
Anonymous User wrote:
Secondary journals matter a great deal, not being on at least a secondary journal = autoding at lots of firms.
LOL tell that to my V10 :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Now I'm asking whether my inability to get on board will be detrimental for getting offer after SA.
It won't.
Anonymous User wrote:
Lots of firms =! every firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It won't.
Anonymous User wrote:
Lots of firms =! every firm.
I feel like you state the obvious without taking the extra step to realize what's obvious beyond that. It's like you're half-assing being an asshole.

I guarantee you that my V10 is not unique in not caring about secondary journals as much as you think. In fact, "autoding" is the exception, not the norm.

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 pm

not really sure either of you are in a position to be saying what constitutes an autoding.

maybe if lawfirmrecruiter were here...(looks around hopefully...)

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:57 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:not really sure either of you are in a position to be saying what constitutes an autoding.

maybe if lawfirmrecruiter were here...(looks around hopefully...)
a recruiter at a regional firm in a secondary market knows? what do you expect to find on this site? if you can't handle conventional wisdom or obvious non-neurotic answers stay out of the kitchen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”