ALJ clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

ALJ clerkship

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:11 pm

How are ALJ clerkships viewed by firms or other federal agencies. I have a potential offer to do a clerkship for an ALJ in a federal agency that does a type of law I'm very uninterested in. I know I can get doc review that pays as well, so is it worth doing something I absolutely hate just to put "law clerk" on the resume?

Cane26

Re: ALJ clerkship

Postby Cane26 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 pm

I can't answer your question, but how did you apply to the ALJ? Was there a posting for a clerkship somewhere? I would love to work for an ALJ.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:a type of law I'm very uninterested in

If you are not interested in it, that significantly diminishes the value. Since ALJs only apply internal agency rules (e.g., Social Security Act, Communications Act) the knowledge-base you build won't be transferable if you decide to go to another area of law.

Would the responsibilities be equivalent to a district court clerk (i.e., writing substantive and not just boilerplate opinions)? If you find that is more appealing than doc review, then at least you can hone those skills - which are transferrable and marketable down the road.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Cane26 wrote:I can't answer your question, but how did you apply to the ALJ? Was there a posting for a clerkship somewhere? I would love to work for an ALJ.

I hit it off with a representative at an informational career fair who took my info to a friend at his agency who was the ALJ. The work seems like it would be boilerplate opinions. No social security, but another very well established, institutional field of law. Not only do I find the work unintereresting, but I'm just fundamentally opposed to the existence of a right of appeal or due process associated with this field of law. I really think I might prefer sitting in front of a computer clicking two buttons to having to do this for a year. Am I crazy?

jonas

Postby jonas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:I'm just fundamentally opposed to the existence of a right of appeal or due process associated with this field of law

There's your answer. You absolutely should not take the ALJ clerkship.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:30 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:I hit it off with a representative at an informational career fair who took my info to a friend at his agency who was the ALJ. The work seems like it would be boilerplate opinions. No social security, but another very well established, institutional field of law. Not only do I find the work unintereresting, but I'm just fundamentally opposed to the existence of a right of appeal or due process associated with this field of law. I really think I might prefer sitting in front of a computer clicking two buttons to having to do this for a year. Am I crazy?

Immigration? I agree with others that say you should do something else. (I would personally take the ALJ clerkship, but it sounds like you would hate it.)

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

ggocat wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:I hit it off with a representative at an informational career fair who took my info to a friend at his agency who was the ALJ. The work seems like it would be boilerplate opinions. No social security, but another very well established, institutional field of law. Not only do I find the work unintereresting, but I'm just fundamentally opposed to the existence of a right of appeal or due process associated with this field of law. I really think I might prefer sitting in front of a computer clicking two buttons to having to do this for a year. Am I crazy?

Immigration? I agree with others that say you should do something else. (I would personally take the ALJ clerkship, but it sounds like you would hate it.)

It's in a immigration, labor, employment, contracting, social security, medicare - type field. I have some time to figure this out and am leaning against, but, I do need a job.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:but, I do need a job.

One of the reasons I said don't do it is because your OP says "I know I can get doc review that pays as well." If that's untrue, the game changes.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 pm

ggocat wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:but, I do need a job.

One of the reasons I said don't do it is because your OP says "I know I can get doc review that pays as well." If that's untrue, the game changes.

I can get doc review, but I do need a job career and if this is an essential step to getting one and doc review is a dead end, then maybe I'll have to suck it up.

Return to “Legal Employment”