Mass Mailing "Callback"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing "Callback"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Just heard back from a small-mid (20-40 attys) firm that I mass mailed a while ago saying that they want to set up an interview w/ me at their office. They noted that they wanted to set up the interview w/ the partner in charge of their SA program. Not that it would really change my preparation, but I'm just curious if anyone thinks this would be treated more like an initial screener or a callback (and I would hear back from them afterwards w/ an offer/reject as opposed to more rounds of interviews).

Fact that it's at their office w/ the hiring partner would seem more callback-ish, but their email to me didn't mention any kind of schedule or whether I would even be meeting w/ other attys at the office. Admittedly kind of a pointless post but just curious about what I might be able to expect after the interview.

A'nold

Re: Mass Mailing "Callback"

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Awesome news, congrats!

Treat this like the ultimate interview of all interviews, even if you will be getting screened by the legal secretary or something. I interviewed with a small, high profile firm in my 1L year and I literally had to meet with every single attorney in the office before I was offered the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks. So would you think this is the type of interview where an offer/reject would follow?

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. So would you think this is the type of interview where an offer/reject would follow?

If it was a biglaw gig, I'd say that one interviewer almost certainly equals a screener (I've done in-office screeners for in-town firms, too). With a smaller firm, and the fact that they want it to be with the hiring partner, who knows?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:19 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. So would you think this is the type of interview where an offer/reject would follow?

If it was a biglaw gig, I'd say that one interviewer almost certainly equals a screener (I've done in-office screeners for in-town firms, too). With a smaller firm, and the fact that they want it to be with the hiring partner, who knows?

Yea that makes sense. Maybe they'll give more details as it gets closer or the hiring partner will just be more of the pointman and I'll meet several more. Or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic that I won't have to go through multiple rounds, they'll profess their love for me, and I'll get an offer before I even leave...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm

I once had a lunch (after office tour) with hiring partner and another partner off of mass mail (midlaw). I thought for sure it was the only interview round, but it was not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I once had a lunch (after office tour) with hiring partner and another partner off of mass mail (midlaw). I thought for sure it was the only interview round, but it was not.

Damn a whole tour and a lunch and not even the final round? Sucks. Seems pretty strange on their end too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:44 pm

It really depends on the firm. I received an interview with a large firm (NLJ250) through mass mailing that ended up being nothing more than a screening interview, but I also got an interview with another NLJ 250 firm through mass mailing that resulted in an offer on the spot. In both interviews, I interviewed with the hiring partner. I treated both interviews the same and prepared for both as though the interview would decide whether I got the job or not. I figure it's better to be over-prepared.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 pm

My firm is about this size. Our partner in charge of recruiting routinely makes hiring decisions after interviews like these.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:My firm is about this size. Our partner in charge of recruiting routinely makes hiring decisions after interviews like these.

That's encouraging, thanks for the insight everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”