3L, Hate Law, Now What?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: 3L, Hate Law, Now What?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:30 pm

OP sounds like he'd make a great government employee.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:36 pm

This entire thread was tl;dr past the first page, so this comment may be out of place, but what about JAG? You wont always be at a desk but you'll be using your degree. Especially if you go into the Marine Corps, you'll be able to avoid a desk far greater than most attorneys. Just an idea.

As a veteran, I would never do such a thing, but maybe you'll like it! Or it could be the worst decision ever. Who the fuck knows???

ETA: you kinda sound annoying, so dont join the Marines. Army, AF, or Navy will be okay though. ... just trying to protect my own kind.
Last edited by Kring345 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:44 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:48 pm

A'nold wrote:I agree with a poster above that it seems that you have not exhausted all areas of "the law" as you call it. There is no possible way you could hate every single field of the law and actually think you could enjoy something else that you could make a living doing, unless your real passion is medicine or engineering or something. For example, your self expressed desire to help the community and the fact that you want something more action-packed than a typical desk job could easily point you towards a career as an ADA. I've never met an ADA that hated the job and the only complaint is being overworked and/or the "low" pay.

I'll preface this with: If I actually could get a decent paying ADA job, I would take it and get to work paying this off in a heartbeat.

But I have zero desire to work in criminal law. And I haven't done a single thing that could get me an ADA job in the first place, outside of me taking $30k/yr and living in the boondocks.

Now obviously, I haven't exhausted all areas of "the law." But I'm pretty damn miserable with everything about this career choice so far, don't see any kind of possibility of that changing, and I'm just not going to continue with it any longer than I have to. There just isn't a good reason for that.

Desert Fox wrote:OP sounds like he'd make a great government employee.

You're getting warmer I think. Loan forgiveness FTW?

And thank you once again for your insightful and productive commentary, d-bag.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User"

[quote="Desert Fox wrote:

And thank you once again for your insightful and productive commentary, d-bag.[/quote]

Go work at the post office or something. Outdoors, without the grueling aspect of construction. And loan forgiveness.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Maybe join the army. They'll make you an officer.

I only hope this was said in jest, because "You don't have a career? Just join the army." is generally terrible advice.

Ok, I have some major beefs with the military, and Im getting out in August, but I am smart enough to recognize that it's generally helped me in a variety of important ways.

I joined the Marines after college. A lot of other Marines joined directly from high school. Honestly, the pay is good, the benefits tremendous, quality of life is decent if you dont suck at everything, etc. I will be getting out next August with a shit ton of money in my bank account, 100% free tuition to Mich, Berk, UVa and 50-90% free tuition at the rest of the t-14 not to mention they pay for my rent, utilities, and books, and I'll never have to pay a down payment on a house because of the VA loan. Imagine you are a high school student or a floundering college student with no direction. A couple of years in the military, gaining maturity, real life experience, leadership experience, plus some bad-ass fucking stories sounds like a pretty good idea. Couple that with the above-mentioned benefits, and it seems like a damn good idea.

Just saying, generally speaking, if you have a decent head on your shoulders and dont squander opportunities by failing to leverage the experience, joining the military will likely do wonders for you and your career.

OP- you seem to be more directionless than many of the boot-ass privates that I have in my care.

\recruitment commercial

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User"

[quote="Desert Fox wrote:

And thank you once again for your insightful and productive commentary, d-bag.

Go work at the post office or something. Outdoors, without the grueling aspect of construction. And loan forgiveness.[/quote]

I really don't get what your deal is, so I'm assuming flame. But seriously quit making posting crap just to be a dick. I asked a legit question and am actually, you know, looking for useful ideas and such.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm not joking. You are the one claiming you were born for construction. I gave you an idea for a job that isn't in an office and gets you loan forgiveness.

You are the moron who took three years and six figures to figure out he didn't want to be a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You are the moron who took three yearstwo years and a couple days of 3L and six figures to figure out he didn't want to be a lawyer.

Truf. I'll absolutely give you that point.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm curious what you are looking for by posting this thread. There is no get out of jail free card. Either be a lawyer, or find something else to do. Fed gov stuff would be ideal. Easy job, decent pay, job security, and debt forgiveness.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:19 pm

[quote="Desert Fox
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm curious what you are looking for by posting this thread. There is no get out of jail free card. Either be a lawyer, or find something else to do. Fed gov stuff would be ideal. Easy job, decent pay, job security, and debt forgiveness.

The underlined is the point. Just ideas man. Just lookin for ideas. I got a few, been pursuing a bunch of non-legal possibilities in addition to the few legal jobs that seem attainable at the moment. If it wasn't clear, I'm not categorically opposed to any kind of work assuming I can make enough to pay the loans off without being miserable or moving into my parents' basement or something. But I would rather not be a lawyer for very long if I can find opportunities elsewhere. And I don't think that posting a message asking for people's ideas on an internet forum with a ton of other law students on it is too crazy of a thing to do.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:30 pm

advice.
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Kring345 wrote:you kinda sound annoying, so dont join the Marines. Army, AF, or Navy will be okay though. ... just trying to protect my own kind.

Just saw this. That was legitimately pretty funny. Accurate too. I definitely would not want to be around me lately; I'm really really really boring these days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:44 pm

+1 to join the military.

Join the military because you don't have any idea what to do with your life is not sound advice for a recent law school grad. But to join the Army to get a wide breadth of experience in law so you can later transition into something specialized in the civilian world IS good advice.

I am in the Army, so I can only speak for the environment of the Army, but the pay scale is the same across the Air Force, Navy, and Army (Marines included, but they are just part of the Navy). The pay is good. You will come in as a captain and off the bat, even during training, start at around 60k, including health insurance, but by year 5 be around 80 if you stay in that long. The plus side is that you might be able to get them to pay down your loans. The super plus side is the military FORCES you into a bunch of different areas of law. You will litigate, advise, write policy, contracts all that stuff. So it will at least give you a chance to hone in on a path you can tolerate, while you get paid, build your resume with well respected stuff, serve your country all the while, and make probably some of the best connections you will ever make.

If you have questions, please ask me, especially Army specific stuff. good luck!

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Only one thing to add. While the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy, its a separate branch, not part of the Navy.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:09 pm

Wow. I feel like if youre in the military you should be aware that the Marine Corps is not a part of the Navy. The only interaction I have with the Navy is when they jab dozens of needles into my arms.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Kring345 wrote:Wow. I feel like if youre in the military you should be aware that the Marine Corps is not a part of the Navy. The only interaction I have with the Navy is when they jab dozens of needles into my arms.

To many of the other services, the Marines are lumped into the Navy. They are obviously different but the services are oddly commingled. Every other branch has their own MDs, etc. You've got Marines and Navy that work in the same offices (e.g. JAG). No one else operates like that.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:20 pm

blowhard wrote:
Kring345 wrote:Wow. I feel like if youre in the military you should be aware that the Marine Corps is not a part of the Navy. The only interaction I have with the Navy is when they jab dozens of needles into my arms.

To many of the other services, the Marines are lumped into the Navy. They are obviously different but the services are oddly commingled. Every other branch has their own MDs, etc. You've got Marines and Navy that work in the same offices (e.g. JAG). No one else operates like that.

*Calls Marine "sailor"*
*Finds self removed from gene-pool*

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

I posted the above earlier about the Marines being under the navy as anonymous not to shroud my identity but because I, well, misclicked.

My original intent was a gentle ribbing, and I know the differences in their mission, training, etc.

BUT, Marines report to the secretary of the navy, soldiers to the secretary of the army, and airmen to the secretary of the air force. I know that there is a commandant of the Marine Corps, and a Chief of Naval Operations that are the highest ranking military commanders.

No longer intent hijacking this thread. We can take this over to the ol' ITT:Military Veterans that I created a month ago.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:52 am

Ok, so you don't want to be a lawyer because they spend too much time in the office. You just realized this, apparently. You instead want a different job that requires less time in the office and less time working overall so that you can "enjoy life." Oh yeah, and you want to...help people and stuff too. You're also in debt and just wasted two years of your life. In other words, what you're looking for is a job where you aren't in an office, don't work a ton of hours, help people in a rewarding "benefit to society" kind of way, and make enough money to pay off your debts. It sounds to me like you should consider a career in the unicorn racing business.

Real life kind of sucks. I don't know what you thought you were getting into, but I don't see a non-law job being the solution to your problems, dawg. Sorry :|

Cop jobs can be good jobs. I know a few folks who do it and like it. Rewarding, the pay can be good, etc. The hours, on the other hand, suck (especially for rookies) and the pay will never be great. I'm guessing you wouldn't like that job after a while either. To be honest, it just doesn't sound like you want to work.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:20 am

OP, what is it you find could, possibly, be interesting? The markets, corporate finance, law enforcement, working with people, politics, nothing, etc. And then once you answer that question, why do you think those things are interesting? Then maybe we can help you out better.

Also, for another couple of suggestions that haven't been thrown out there both government contracting and compliance could be options.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 am

seems as though OP just learned the harsh reality that most people hate their jobs, and while they want a job that meets all of their requirements- they will spend most of their working lives searching for it, but wont get it.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:31 pm

I agree with everyone who said OP should take some govt. position.

Become a fireman. They work 48 hours or so a week (half of which is spent sleeping, playing video games, and arguing whether to cook ribs or steak for dinner), make close to six figures in many areas after a several years, have excellent benefits, get a ridiculous pension, and are union backed. Not to mention, after Sept. 11 everyone thinks of you in the same light as a Medal of Honor recipient. :roll:

I think I actually might have just convinced myself to drop out and become an overpaid government worker. LOL.

rckybbby

Postby rckybbby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:+1 to join the military.

Join the military because you don't have any idea what to do with your life is not sound advice for a recent law school grad. But to join the Army to get a wide breadth of experience in law so you can later transition into something specialized in the civilian world IS good advice.

I am in the Army, so I can only speak for the environment of the Army, but the pay scale is the same across the Air Force, Navy, and Army (Marines included, but they are just part of the Navy). The pay is good. You will come in as a captain and off the bat, even during training, start at around 60k, including health insurance, but by year 5 be around 80 if you stay in that long. The plus side is that you might be able to get them to pay down your loans. The super plus side is the military FORCES you into a bunch of different areas of law. You will litigate, advise, write policy, contracts all that stuff. So it will at least give you a chance to hone in on a path you can tolerate, while you get paid, build your resume with well respected stuff, serve your country all the while, and make probably some of the best connections you will ever make.

If you have questions, please ask me, especially Army specific stuff. good luck!

I second that, go to the Army. Go in as a lawyer, you'll still get to camp and shoot guns once in a blue moon. or what the hell ever jag does. This will give you the opportunity to try your hand at law and just a little bit of what life would have been like if you actually had to work in the elements. if you still hate law, put on your big boy panties and try out for the varsity squad. someone will fill you in on that rabbit-hole later.

You should know that while you sit in class longing to be on the other side of the window through which you are gazing, some poor, hot, sweaty Peter Gibbons is marveling at that school wondering what the hell goes on in there. It should also be noted that lots of law kids want to go JAG. I have yet to meet/ read posts of, a combat vet who wants to go to law school for 1LT pay. I personally have been in for a good chunk of time (best years of my life, wouldn't trade it for anything), but I won't go back as a lawyer. Maybe what i do, but not a lawyer.

You should dance with the fat chick that brought you. Be a lawyer. PM me if you have questions about the Army.

Return to “Legal Employment”