3L, Hate Law, Now What?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Re: 3L, Hate Law, Now What?

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm

You can also apply to the DEA and other types of more action packed jobs.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:07 pm

become a teacher

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 pm

PMF

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 pm

As a 2L that has already made this determination but has no other prospects with my undergrad degree, no debt, and no desire to quit, I have pondered this a lot. Here are the solutions I've come up with:

- Policy Work - knowledge of the law is actually helpful, but, doesn't seem to require the same long hours or the same amount of time on Westlaw researching stupid things.
- Lobbying - see above. (Although, the hours might be long if you are a highly paid K Street lobbyist).
- FBI/CIA/State Department - secret agent stuff seems awesome!
- President Management Fellow (similar to above government options)
- Start your own business. Then who gives a fuck what sort of education you have? You sure don't! I personally, would start an event planning business.
- Go work in TV. Why? Cuse, it sounds awesome. Lots of agents have law degrees, seems like heads of stations do too. Are these jobs hard to get? Sure. But, are they awesome? Yes. Set your sights high!

/dumb sounding endless optimism artificially induced by finals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a 2L that has already made this determination but has no other prospects with my undergrad degree, no debt, and no desire to quit, I have pondered this a lot. Here are the solutions I've come up with:

- Policy Work - knowledge of the law is actually helpful, but, doesn't seem to require the same long hours or the same amount of time on Westlaw researching stupid things.
- Lobbying - see above. (Although, the hours might be long if you are a highly paid K Street lobbyist).
- Start your own business. Then who gives a fuck what sort of education you have? You sure don't! I personally, would start an event planning business.
- Go work in TV. Why? Cuse, it sounds awesome. Lots of agents have law degrees, seems like heads of stations do too. Are these jobs hard to get? Sure. But, are they awesome? Yes. Set your sights high!

No offense.. but his chances of getting some of those jobs have actually went down after attending law school.THe weird thing is that employers don't appreciate the skills that law school teaches you. Jobs like consulting and tax work (big4) should hire jds instead of undergrads.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 pm

A'nold wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Law school should be two years of classes followed by a year of internship work.

I was just explaining this to someone this last night, weirdly enough.

So true. I'm only a 2L and I'm sick of school. Loved working this summer, though. Most people eventually hate school. Those who don't become professors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a 2L that has already made this determination but has no other prospects with my undergrad degree, no debt, and no desire to quit, I have pondered this a lot. Here are the solutions I've come up with:

Yeah, like the other poster said, some of these are pretty tough to get (actually I got dinged by PMF at the personality test stage, so that's out already), but I could see myself enjoying lobbying. No idea about how to get into that or who the big names are, but I'll probably look into it. TV would be fun, but I want to make some short-term money and pay off law school ASAP before I do anything else. Same idea for starting a business.

All good ideas though, thanks.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

For everyone telling OP to try to get on with a federal law enforcement agency, stop. The chances are roughly 0% as a lawyer unless you've practiced for multiple years. And even if you've practiced, getting on as a lawyer isn't easy and isn't common.

eta assuming OP you aren't a bilingual middle eastern woman.

eta2: Not to mention that whoever said "the FBI hires year round" is dead wrong. In fact, the FBI, DEA, ATF, etc having been doing almost no hiring for the past year and half. And will likely do almost no hiring this upcoming year. I believe the only FLE agency that is even accepting applications in a legitimate sense is the FBI and they are putting through only a couple classes (meaning 100ish people or so).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:For everyone telling OP to try to get on with a federal law enforcement agency, stop. The chances are roughly 0% as a lawyer unless you've practiced for multiple years. And even if you've practiced, getting on as a lawyer isn't easy and isn't common.

OP here. FWIW, I get that, but to be fair it's not like there are many (desirable) fields that are easy to get into right now, and I was asking for something of a mini-brainstorming sesh. Not that more attainable ideas wouldn't be especially helpful, but you've gotta start somewhere with this stuff.

FWIW, on the "more attainable" end of things, I just applied to a few credit analyst, sales consulting, and project management jobs. Not sure of my chances, but I feel relatively qualified for all of them since I've got the baseline skill set (and, oddly, the specifics of each job are semi-complemented by my law classes) and none of them require experience (BA + 0-1 yrs work exp. for all of them). If that gives anyone ideas about similar paths, toss em out there.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:For everyone telling OP to try to get on with a federal law enforcement agency, stop. The chances are roughly 0% as a lawyer unless you've practiced for multiple years. And even if you've practiced, getting on as a lawyer isn't easy and isn't common.

OP here. FWIW, I get that, but to be fair it's not like there are many (desirable) fields that are easy to get into right now, and I was asking for something of a mini-brainstorming sesh. Not that more attainable ideas wouldn't be especially helpful, but you've gotta start somewhere with this stuff.

FWIW, on the "more attainable" end of things, I just applied to a few credit analyst, sales consulting, and project management jobs. Not sure of my chances, but I feel relatively qualified for all of them since I've got the baseline skill set (and, oddly, the specifics of each job are semi-complemented by my law classes) and none of them require experience (BA + 0-1 yrs work exp. for all of them). If that gives anyone ideas about similar paths, toss em out there.

If law enforcement is something you are legitimately interested in the Border Patrol is hiring like mad. And the Border Patrol is a legitimate stepping stone to the more visible law enforcement agencies, especially the DEA and ICE because of the Spanish requirement. My buddy is in training currently with the Border Patrol and will start at about 55k once he graduates. Ya, it's not prestigious and you have to move to Arizona, Texas, or New Mexico but it's really a good stepping stone if you are interested in that. Plus the Border Patrol will actually probably be more exciting than working for the FBI.

ETA as far as consulting goes, I don't know why the one poster said start at BCG consider it hires the least amount of consultants out of any of the big firms. But if you have good undergrad grades/test scores and are doing well in law school it is possible for a firm like Deloitte who is hiring like crazy.

ETA2: You might try private wealth management. They care a lot less about what your background is and a lot more about being articulate, having drive, being intelligent, etc. US Trust/Suntrust/JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs etc all have private wealth managers. Most people who take these jobs are trying to get into investment management or investment banking so it's not as highly sought after. It could be good for you if you are semi attractive and articulate.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:29 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:Making money and enjoying life do not have to be mutually exclusive. I enjoy working long hours, so my personality fits the big law regime. And I am sure there are a lot of lawyers in big firms that also enjoy working at a big firm.

Before I get snarky... do you have experience with working long hours? Also, biglaw lawyers are miserable.

Law attracts a lot of whiney people from upper middle class backgrounds, but I'd say even out of that subset no more than a large minority actually hate their jobs. Most of the lawyers I worked with as an SA were very down to earth about their jobs: "I get paid a lot of money to do a comfortable desk job and occasionally get to do something interesting."

You can idealize non-legal jobs, but they blow. In construction you're outside... not just on the nice days, but during the grueling humid summers that seem to go on forever. Your hands get thick and calloused, and your body aches constantly (my friend's dad worked his way up from being a construction worker to owning a contracting business, makes somewhat over $100k now). As a teacher you make shit pay, never make more than shit pay, and have to deal with whiney obnoxious creatures, not to mention the kids. In HR or some other semi white collar job, you're strictly a cost center so they watch you like a hawk. You think billing time is bad? In most firms you can get away with procrastinating filling out your time sheets for weeks. In many jobs if you're more than 3 minutes late 3 times, you're straight up fired. You get shit benefits, worry about health insurance coverage, etc.

There are no jobs anymore where you can make $70k leading a comfortable, low-stress existence, except maybe in engineering or accounting. We live in Reagan's America now, where you have to go out there and fight every day just to make sure your kids have health insurance in case they get sick. Being a lawyer is fucking awesome in that scheme of things.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, like the other poster said, some of these are pretty tough to get (actually I got dinged by PMF at the personality test stage, so that's out already), but I could see myself enjoying lobbying. No idea about how to get into that or who the big names are, but I'll probably look into it. TV would be fun, but I want to make some short-term money and pay off law school ASAP before I do anything else. Same idea for starting a business.

All good ideas though, thanks.

Lobbying pretty much requires getting some capitol hill experience first. At least private lobbying firms. Alternatively, you can get in with a public interest policy organization (ex. ACLU, ect, ect, ect) and get your lobbying experience that way.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm

blowhard wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:Why don't you try getting on with the FBI after graduation? If you have a very clean background it seems like a very cool job (FBI special agent).

I like this idea a lot actually, but I think I missed the boat on this year's application (correct me if I'm mistaken). It definitely is something to try for in the future though.

The FBI hires year round. Go to the FBI website and check it out. Good luck. :)

Eh, if OP doesn't like the law he won't like the FBI. What they do in reality is the equivalent of about 60% doc review. Plus endless memos, bureaucracy, etc. it's very much like BigLaw.

You mean they don't actually get to self-select cases with paranormal activity to investigate and uncover high-level government conspiracies??? :( I feel so lied to!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:22 pm

zomginternets wrote:You mean they don't actually get to self-select cases with paranormal activity to investigate and uncover high-level government conspiracies??? :( I feel so lied to!

Don't despair. The truth is out there. . .

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No offense.. but his chances of getting some of those jobs have actually went down after attending law school.THe weird thing is that employers don't appreciate the skills that law school teaches you. Jobs like consulting and tax work (big4) should hire jds instead of undergrads.

They do hire JD's. OP could try consulting, but their hours suck too. But they usually at least get the weekends off.

Though OP sounds like a little K-JD bitch who never worked a real job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They do hire JD's. OP could try consulting, but their hours suck too. But they usually at least get the weekends off.

If what you're trying to say is that I should just man up and be a lawyer, that's fine - and in the short term I may just do it to help pay back loans faster if it's the best I can do. But I don't see any reason to continue with a career that I strongly dislike unless I can't pay the bills doing something else.

If what you're doing is trying to be a douche or avoid giving helpful commentary, however - congratulations, you have succeeded!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If what you're trying to say is that I should just man up and be a lawyer, that's fine - and in the short term I may just do it to help pay back loans faster if it's the best I can do. But I don't see any reason to continue with a career that I strongly dislike unless I can't pay the bills doing something else.

If what you're doing is trying to be a douche or avoid giving helpful commentary, however - congratulations, you have succeeded!

I'm saying you don't really want to be anything. If you don't want to be a lawyer, fine, find a different job, but you'll probably hate that too. Being and adult sucks, and all jobs, even good one's suck.

If you don't have a high paying job lined up as a 3L, you probably aren't going to make good money as a lawyer anyway. So you might as well choose what you want to do.

Maybe join the army. They'll make you an officer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'm saying you don't really want to be anything.

You've got a great point there chief, at least in the positive "I want to do X kind of work" sense. But I do know that I do not want to be a lawyer, which I can't say for most other types of work. And I also know that, in the past, the types of work I have enjoyed have been work where there is some kind of active collaboration with others, where I can accomplish some kind of tangible or measurable goal, where society or the community or some wider group of people actually benefits by whatever I did. And that isn't law.

Desert Fox wrote:If you don't want to be a lawyer, fine, find a different job, but you'll probably hate that too. Being and adult sucks, and all jobs, even good one's suck.

I think you're taking my dislike of legal work and the legal profession the wrong way, and I'm actually pretty open to most work. I'm not trying to "follow my passion," or jump to the top of the corporate ladder or any crap like that. I truly don't care. But I'm not about to spend the next 40 years doing something I hate - even if I could end up doing well at it financially - if I can do something else that I would rather do. And right now, that something else is nearly everything else.

Desert Fox wrote:If you don't have a high paying job lined up as a 3L, you probably aren't going to make good money as a lawyer anyway. So you might as well choose what you want to do.

^Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Desert Fox wrote:Maybe join the army. They'll make you an officer.

I only hope this was said in jest, because "You don't have a career? Just join the army." is generally terrible advice.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, you should probably man up and be a lawyer. And that's because the other jobs listed here are going to be much easier for you to get if you have work experience. You want to get into the FBI or DEA? It still isn't likely but will be much more likely if you spent a couple years as an ADA or working on tax transactions at a private firm. Consulting is possible right now but i've also seen experienced JD hires. Starting your own business will be easier if you have experience. Lobbying and Policy work will also be much easier to get into if you have experience. And there are other jobs, if you make connections through clients, that you might be able to network into if you have some savvy. I'm not saying working as a lawyer will be the ticket to something else, it isn't, and it will be hard work and require some luck. But if you can make meaningful connections, get some relevant experience, and network with clients you may be able to make the jump. As of right now you are someone who has never held a job and, on paper, don't seem to understand what you want to do or what it's like to work a real job. That's just my 2 cents.

A lot of people take jobs they don't want early in their careers, but they do it to use it as a stepping stone to something better later on. And at this point it will probably be much easier for you to find a legal job than a non-legal one that you want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Honestly, you should probably man up and be a lawyer. And that's because the other jobs listed here are going to be much easier for you to get if you have work experience. You want to get into the FBI or DEA? It still isn't likely but will be much more likely if you spent a couple years as an ADA or working on tax transactions at a private firm. Consulting is possible right now but i've also seen experienced JD hires. Starting your own business will be easier if you have experience. Lobbying and Policy work will also be much easier to get into if you have experience. And there are other jobs, if you make connections through clients, that you might be able to network into if you have some savvy. I'm not saying working as a lawyer will be the ticket to something else, it isn't, and it will be hard work and require some luck. But if you can make meaningful connections, get some relevant experience, and network with clients you may be able to make the jump. As of right now you are someone who has never held a job and, on paper, don't seem to understand what you want to do or what it's like to work a real job. That's just my 2 cents.

A lot of people take jobs they don't want early in their careers, but they do it to use it as a stepping stone to something better later on. And at this point it will probably be much easier for you to find a legal job than a non-legal one that you want.

Eh, all valid points, especially on the legal experience --> not-legal job idea. In terms of understanding what I want to do, I absolutely no longer have any real idea. But I've had plenty of jobs and liked them just fine. And in terms of understanding what I wouldn't mind doing for money, I'm really pretty open minded. Consulting/FBI/DEA/Lobbying all sound fine and are kind of the type of ideas I was looking for, and I had already sort of brainstormed a few of them. And as much as I would be fine with (if seriously annoyed at) the idea of starting out in law for the purpose of getting a paycheck, I'm pretty sure that any appeal of that kind of career is gone. So, as much as I appreciate the "man up" type sentiment, I'm not trying to figure out whether I want to be in law anymore - I just don't - but what some decent alternatives that I hadn't thought of already might be.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the past, the types of work I have enjoyed have been work where there is some kind of active collaboration with others, where I can accomplish some kind of tangible or measurable goal, where society or the community or some wider group of people actually benefits by whatever I did. And that isn't law.

This statement is just false; you obviously have not researched a broad array of legal careers. Have you looked into any public interest organizations at all?

Considering the not insignificant commitment you have made to law to this point, you should probably exhaust every possibility within the field before just writing it off and chasing a pipe dream of being a DEA agent, or whatever.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 pm

rayiner wrote:Most of the lawyers I worked with as an SA were very down to earth about their jobs: "I get paid a lot of money to do a comfortable desk job and occasionally get to do something interesting."

same experience

rayiner wrote:You can idealize non-legal jobs, but they blow. In construction you're outside... not just on the nice days, but during the grueling humid summers that seem to go on forever. Your hands get thick and calloused, and your body aches constantly ...when you get home and blow your nose, it's all grey dust

construction is hard, miserable work

and +1 to the rest of rayiner's poast

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In the past, the types of work I have enjoyed have been work where there is some kind of active collaboration with others, where I can accomplish some kind of tangible or measurable goal, where society or the community or some wider group of people actually benefits by whatever I did. And that isn't law.

This statement is just false; you obviously have not researched a broad array of legal careers. Have you looked into any public interest organizations at all?

Considering the not insignificant commitment you have made to law to this point, you should probably exhaust every possibility within the field before just writing it off and chasing a pipe dream of being a DEA agent, or whatever.

Pipe dream is the right word. And what OP dislikes about the law is predominantly what these jobs consist of. To the point that if OP answers honestly about why he doesn't want to practice...he'll never get called back. Don't rely on your assessment of these jobs from what you see on TV. I have worked with almost every federal agency and been attached to a few...it's not realistic in the least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:18 pm

seatown12 wrote:

OP here.

I don't think I was the one who proposed the DEA idea, and it certainly isn't what I would consider a goal. An idea? Yep. A possibility? Sure. But as one (rather dismissive) poster keenly observed, I don't really affirmatively want to do any particular type of work. I just don't want to be a lawyer. I don't know why so many people want to belabor this point. I don't like the work, I don't like the people, I'm not going to make any money doing it, and I'm probably going to have to live somewhere I don't want to be.

As for public interest stuff, when I started law school it was the initial goal. Not so much anymore. I haven't really gotten along with the lawyers that I've met that do this kind of work, nor most lawyers and law students generally (don't take that the wrong way - I've met lots of nice people - but I don't seem to be able to hold a conversation with a lawyer for more than about 8 seconds before wanting to leave ASAP). And frankly, I don't have the credentials, experience, or ability to talk with any kind of passion about public interest work that would actually get me hired in one of these positions.

Big Shrimpin wrote:construction is hard, miserable work

and +1 to the rest of rayiner's poast

You realize I was just making a point about my dislike of working at a desk, correct? I mean, I'll take any work I can get, but that wasn't the point of the "construction" comment.

blowhard wrote:Pipe dream is the right word. And what OP dislikes about the law is predominantly what these jobs consist of. To the point that if OP answers honestly about why he doesn't want to practice...he'll never get called back. Don't rely on your assessment of these jobs from what you see on TV. I have worked with almost every federal agency and been attached to a few...it's not realistic in the least.

Again, the DEA thing wasn't my proposed alternative. I'm asking y'all for alternatives to law.

And to the italicized, I don't tell anybody IRL - nonlegal employers or otherwise - how I feel about practicing law.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I agree with a poster above that it seems that you have not exhausted all areas of "the law" as you call it. There is no possible way you could hate every single field of the law and actually think you could enjoy something else that you could make a living doing, unless your real passion is medicine or engineering or something. For example, your self expressed desire to help the community and the fact that you want something more action-packed than a typical desk job could easily point you towards a career as an ADA. I've never met an ADA that hated the job and the only complaint is being overworked and/or the "low" pay.

Return to “Legal Employment”