2L gov honors jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L gov honors jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm

So in the beginning of the semester I had struck out at OCI, decided to apply for gov jobs... Since then was lucky enough to secure a job at a mid-sized firm and accepted my offer. Just heard back from one of these government honors programs. Actually sounds extremely interesting to me.

To be honest I don't know much about the program itself, being as I applied last minute in my unemployment panic. Are these prestigious/difficult to attain? They usually have no chance of employment post-grad right?

Also... is it ok to admit I already accepted a position at a firm? I haven't spoken to them yet because I received this over voicemail. Just not sure how to go about this, since when I applied to the gov job it was clear I wouldn't be hearing back until nov/dec, yet accepted an offer before that...

Anonymous User

Re: 2L gov honors jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:So in the beginning of the semester I had struck out at OCI, decided to apply for gov jobs... Since then was lucky enough to secure a job at a mid-sized firm and accepted my offer. Just heard back from one of these government honors programs. Actually sounds extremely interesting to me.

To be honest I don't know much about the program itself, being as I applied last minute in my unemployment panic. Are these prestigious/difficult to attain? They usually have no chance of employment post-grad right?

Also... is it ok to admit I already accepted a position at a firm? I haven't spoken to them yet because I received this over voicemail. Just not sure how to go about this, since when I applied to the gov job it was clear I wouldn't be hearing back until nov/dec, yet accepted an offer before that...

Which honors program is it? (beauty of anonymous posting is that it's anonymous)

I ask because I think which program it is determines:

1) level of prestige
2) the type of experience / future employment credibility (outside the agency)
3) the likelihood of getting hired from the agency

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:26 am

Does the mid-size firm give out offers after summer? What is the pay? Is it in the region you want to be in? I'd take the firm depending on the answer to these questions. Almost no government jobs lead to full time offers. Exception being NYC Law Dept. and i think the fed summer honors program.

mikcou

Postby mikcou » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does the mid-size firm give out offers after summer? What is the pay? Is it in the region you want to be in? I'd take the firm depending on the answer to these questions. Almost no government jobs lead to full time offers. Exception being NYC Law Dept. and i think the fed summer honors program.

This is highly dependent on the exact program. OTOH, a few of the fed programs (IRS, Dept. Navy) have roughly private sector offer rates while a lot dont offer out of their programs at all.

Return to “Legal Employment”