2L at T14 and miserable. Dropping out even a consideration?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or leave

GTFO (Live a happy life man, number one)
23%
Stay, you're crazy and it's too late. (suck it up)
67%
Tough situation.. I dunno
10%

Total votes: 79

Notor

Re: 2L at T14 and miserable. Dropping out even a consideration?

Postby Notor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:37 pm

If you have a job, at least work through the summer and see if you like it while making $$$. As far as the school stuff goes, you go to law school to get a job, not to be a law student. If you can still get an offer while going to 50% of your classes and caring 0%, then do that.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Get out and make room for the rest of us.

is your avatar single? YUM.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:24 pm

koalatriste wrote:

Haha, just a character from that TV show "Suits"

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 pm

If you don't want to do something you need to quit it. Its your life, you are in the drivers seat.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm

MrAnon wrote:If you don't want to do something you need to quit it. Its your life, you are in the drivers seat.

This is a terrible approach to life.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:59 pm

paratactical wrote:
MrAnon wrote:If you don't want to do something you need to quit it. Its your life, you are in the drivers seat.

This is a terrible approach to life.

Why? He is miserable. I am pretty sure that doing what makes you miserable is a bad approach to life. If he felt like killing himself over it would you say that he must nevertheless finish the degree? Should he get married if he doesn't want to? Just because its the tried and true path for some others in a different time and circumstance? I used to think like this too, its misery. Do what you want. Life will work out.

Being a lawyer is just like being in law school. Those fellow classmates? Your future co-workers and adversaries. Don't like reading cases or listening to discussions about the law that seems pointless? Guess what you'll be doing as a lawyer! Will it feel different because you are being paid? Yes. Will that make it better? Yes, and a lot more so initially. But eventually that will wear off. If you think you can find a more exciting career elsewhere then go for it because you will. If you are one of the ones that did law school because you had a BA in poly sci and no other real options then you should probably stick it out. But it doesn't sound like you are that. Dynamic people can always figure out any situation they are parachuted in to and its a shame many of them waste their lives in law.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't want to work, it takes up too much of my free time. That means I should drop out and live off welfare, right?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I don't want to work, it takes up too much of my free time. That means I should drop out and live off welfare, right?

Thank you.

MrAnon - life really is not as simple as you and your esteemed compatriot Mr. Cartman think it is. Maybe OP should drop out, but the reasoning should not be "whatever, I do what I want."

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 am

Being a lawyer is just like being in law school.

My impression at this point is that

Being a professor = being in law school (or at least the doctrinal classes)

Being in biglaw = being in a LRW class that never ends

Being in criminal defense/prosecution = nothing like law school. A lot of people who don't like law school end up loving this sort of work because (depending on what sort of work you're doing) you may spend much of each day in court/interacting with clients and very little time performing legal research.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 am

MrAnon wrote:Being a lawyer is just like being in law school.

Being a biglaw SA is definitely completely unlike being in law school. Being a biglaw SA is very, very similar to being a biglaw associate (w/o the cool swag and emphasis on leaving at 6pm), so I think MrAnon's full of shit here. Just sayin'...

jawsome

Postby jawsome » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 am

Get out now.

If you hate law school, you are going to despise the profession, and consequently your job, and consequently your life.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 am

do not drop out. i agree with everything that others have said about your debt situation; especially because you have a family, i think it would be really difficult to live with yourself if someday that income that you would have made in just your first year was really needed.

i think the most important thing for you to do right now is gain experience in different areas of the law. the reason you are miserable is because you don't like what you are studying, but law is a hugely diverse and multifaceted practice -- there must be some area of the law that will align with your personal interests. if you like negotiations and counseling clients, try areas like fund formation, M&A or trusts/estates. if you like arguments, go for litigation. if you enjoy TV drama, try labor & employment or white collar. and, if all fails, after a few years you can do legal recruiting instead, go inhouse, go into government, or whatever suits your fancy now that you have the JD creds. plenty of legal recruiters came from attorney positions and they seem to have a lot more fun than the attorneys do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:48 pm

i'd say stick it out. i am in a very similar situation.....median at CLS, SA offer, parents paying for law school, hating law school right now (hopefully it will change?). despite being restless, irritable, and discontented, i am going to stick it out.

everything that's been said on this thread about it not being better in other industries is spot on. likewise, big law, while having major drawbacks, is all-in-all a pretty sweet gig for someone in their mid to late 20s. if you can stick it out for a few years, and you still hate law and cannot imagine practicing it in any capacity, you could switch careers but pay for that transition yourself from savings. that's my plan anyway.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:53 pm

azntwice wrote:do not drop out. i agree with everything that others have said about your debt situation; especially because you have a family, i think it would be really difficult to live with yourself if someday that income that you would have made in just your first year was really needed.

i think the most important thing for you to do right now is gain experience in different areas of the law. the reason you are miserable is because you don't like what you are studying, but law is a hugely diverse and multifaceted practice -- there must be some area of the law that will align with your personal interests. if you like negotiations and counseling clients, try areas like fund formation, M&A or trusts/estates. if you like arguments, go for litigation. if you enjoy TV drama, try labor & employment or white collar. and, if all fails, after a few years you can do legal recruiting instead, go inhouse, go into government, or whatever suits your fancy now that you have the JD creds. plenty of legal recruiters came from attorney positions and they seem to have a lot more fun than the attorneys do.

Pfffff, the only "arguing" that litigators do is in their briefs.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
koalatriste wrote:

Haha, just a character from that TV show "Suits"

Little late, but that first season was awesome. Im definitely a big fan of Harvey and Mike hahaha

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:11 am

vanwinkle wrote:

I couldn't respond earlier because you banned me, but I don't know where you got this conclusion. Obviously I am not advocating people stop doing productive things so that they can live off the government dole. He needs a plan of some kind.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:53 am

MrAnon wrote:Obviously I am not advocating people stop doing productive things so that they can live off the government dole. He needs a plan of some kind.

This is the plan you proposed:

MrAnon wrote:If you don't want to do something you need to quit it.

That's where I got it from.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 am

Drop out. One more job for the rest of us

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:26 am

I stand with you, a 2L, miserable.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm

shepdawg wrote:Drop out. One more job jerb for the rest of us

FTFY

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:57 pm

A'nold wrote:
shepdawg wrote:Drop out. One more job jerb for the rest of us

FTFY

RECESSION TOOK ER JERBS

Return to “Legal Employment”