OCI WE

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
proverbs120

Re: OCI WE

Postby proverbs120 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 am

In my experience (lower t14):

1) wrt work experience, I was K-JD but had done some interesting--but not prestigious, really--things during school and summers. I won't say it helped me directly, but being able to talk about leadership positions, blah blah blah, was good fodder and an easy way to talk about myself. Maybe I could have been bumped up if I had been in banking or something, but not once in 10 or so callbacks did my lack of work experience even briefly or indirectly come up. This despite the fact that I'm 23 and look like I'm still in college.

2) wrt to prestigious undergrads: I went to a very small, unimpressive liberal arts college, one that is not well-known outside a regional geographic area. I honestly think this couldn't have mattered less. To the extent it came up, I got to talk about small school/small town and sell another side to myself. (I'm so wholesome!) To the extent interviewers were concerned about my smarts compared to other students, I think they were perfectly satisfied to look at my law school grades. I don't think law school grades are so much less indicative of intelligence than where one went to undergrad, as one poster above suggested. In fact, at my t14, I can think of one or two kids walking around with big "Y"s on their shirts who are absolutely mediocre. And, I have close friends with top grades, some of whom also went to unimpressive undergraduate schools.

Anyway, so you know where I'm coming from, I'm top 10% and I've chosen to summer at the headquarters of a v20 DC firm.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:at our T25, the EIC of the law review graduated summa cum laude from a third-tier state U
apparently she got excellent grades in her first year here (top 1 or 2)

what do you think? I do not want to believe that she is really the smartest person out there. There are probably a bunch of smarties there (good grades or just average grades). Aceing a law school exam =/= smart in every way.

Wow, you must really not like that girl. She graduated summa from a shitty UG, and then finished #1 after the first year at a T25? I mean, obviously the girl has some mad game.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 pm

to above: I acknowledge that she is smart, but do not necessarily see her as the smartest of the 300 people in her year.
but at law school everybody just cares about grades.
so to say a person with below-average grades very smart is almost blasphemous.
same when you say people on LR are mediocre.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to above: I acknowledge that she is smart, but do not necessarily see her as the smartest of the 300 people in her year.
but at law school everybody just cares about grades.
so to say a person with below-average grades very smart is almost blasphemous.
same when you say people on LR are mediocre.

You seem kinda mad, and have yet to give any justification for your wild assertions, other than her stellar academic credentials.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Considering how much more rampant grade inflation is at more prestigious undergrads versus a lot of decent quality state schools, I think Anon's just hatin' (as haters tend to do.)

(Note: I'm not saying state schools are better than IVYs, just that his/her argument doesn't hold water.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 pm

there are a lot of decent state Us and I went to one.

the said person went to university of new hampshire/ a school of that calibre.

again, I acknowledge that she's smart - I would not have made this post if someone had not made a comment about how an ivy grad with average LS grades are comparable to an obscure college grad with top LS grades. I am not certain that this is true, but one should always look at the whole package.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:there are a lot of decent state Us and I went to one.

again, I acknowledge that she's smart - I would not have made this post if someone had not made a comment about how an ivy grad with average LS grades are comparable to an obscure college grad with top LS grades. I am not certain that this is true, but one should always look at the whole package.

:? I don't think any amount of whole-package-looking is going to help you meaningfully differentiate from essentially fungible law students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:there are a lot of decent state Us and I went to one.

:? I don't think any amount of whole-package-looking is going to help you meaningfully differentiate from essentially fungible law students.

the same poster here again: I know what you mean. Yet considering that working at a law firm is very different from doing well on law exams I would look at the "whole package" - assuming that I will help doing the hiring in a few years.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
the same poster here again: I know what you mean. Yet considering that working at a law firm is very different from doing well on law exams I would look at the "whole package" - assuming that I will help doing the hiring in a few years.

Really? Not me. I think I'd draw names out of a hat. Or else set up a drinking competition involving accurately copying & pasting terms into boilerplate. A shot of beer before each new term.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

The only thing that you're saying you want to consider for "the whole package" is where they went to UG, and I think you're being incredibly snobbish about it. She might have zero debt from UG and zero debt from lawl school, and is number one, sounds like a good combo to me, sorry you're so insecure though.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 am

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The only thing that you're saying you want to consider for "the whole package" is where they went to UG, and I think you're being incredibly snobbish about it. She might have zero debt from UG and zero debt from lawl school, and is number one, sounds like a good combo to me, sorry you're so insecure though.

Shit, forgot that. I would only want to interview students with $100k+ in debt. Golden handcuffs and all that. I wonder if you're allowed to ask?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:11 am

5ky wrote:I think you're being incredibly snobbish about it.

O hai im biglaw half of what i sell is prestigoufness nice to meet ya.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:03 am

MrKappus wrote:
5ky wrote:I think you're being incredibly snobbish about it.

O hai im biglaw half of what i sell is prestigoufness nice to meet ya.

Srsly. I mean, I personally don't care about undergrad or whatever, but from my experience, BigLaw does. Though I bet the #1 girl still has BigLaw lined up despite whatever her her undergrad. Somethings can overcome a shitty undergrad; it's more the people who are on the "margins" that it really means something for.

gp86

Postby gp86 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Some thoughts to add on what's been said:

1. Skill sets from work experience aside, maybe to most important thing you can draw from work experience in an interview is that you understand law is a service industry.

2. There's nothing wrong with fucking around for a while after college. People I've known who were like, "Yeah, I was a bartender in Australia for a year after undergrad because, well, when would I ever have the chance to do that again?" have invariably gotten responses from partners and associates alike of, "Holy shit, that is awesome." If you take some time to pause and figure life out, that's great, and definitely better than doing it on the firm's time.

Return to “Legal Employment”