Holiday Party Invite Pre SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Go?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

Re: Holiday Party Invite Pre SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 am

So I got invited to a party too. The firm is in town and the party will be in a very convenient location < 30 min away. The only thing is, I've never been to a firm holiday party yet or any firm event - this will be my first firm that I am joining. What should I expect at a holiday party? Just a bunch of drunk people? That's what I'm picking up from the comments. Also, the party happens to land during finals week but not during a test.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same boat. A partner I interviewed with was copied on my invitation. I replied saying that I appreciated the invitation, but it would be extremely difficult for me to drive the 5 hours to attend a party right before finals. The partner replied "You should probably make time for this." So I'm going.

Firm life: "parties" are turned into inconvenient obligations and all your bosses are passive-aggressive douchebags. You couldn't pay me enough.
Last edited by seatown12 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 am

seatown12 wrote:Firm life: "parties" are turned into inconvenient obligations and all your bosses are passive-aggressive douchebags. You couldn't pay me enough.

+1
Well, maybe if you really paid me a lot. Like maybe I'd do it for 160k a year with possible bonuses.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:20 am

seatown12 wrote:Firm life: "parties" are turned into inconvenient obligations and all your bosses are passive-aggressive douchebags. You couldn't pay me enough.

^ you just described every job lol. Keep hating on law, I'm sure you'll love the alternative

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 am

c3pO4 wrote:

^ you just described every job lol. Keep hating on law, I'm sure you'll love the alternative

Seriously, it's free food, free alcohol, being sociable and not making an asshole out of yourself. If you can't go talk to people for a couple of hours, you are going to have a shitload of problems in any job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 pm

XM3045 wrote:A couple days ago I got an invite to the holiday party from the firm that I will be SAing at this summer. It's a biglaw firm in DC that usually has around 10-15 SAs and I go to school in DC, so it would be very easy to go.
Is it normal to get invited to a holiday party prior to actually doing any work? I feel like it would be weird in some ways to actually go (and that I got invited merely as a courtesy sort of thing?), but on the other hand some of my friends have said it would be poor form to not go. The party takes place pre exam time.

Mainly just curious as to what people think.

I have the same reservations about going as you. It would be easy for me to attend as well. I just don't want to end up getting stuck in an awkward situation, basically hurting my chances even before I can get judged on my work and interactions with my more immediate colleagues. And I do appreciate the importance of social networking within a firm, but I feel it might be safer to skip the holiday party now. Underlying all this of course is the fact that I don't have any experience with such semi-formal office events. I know I'll have to get used to them, I'm just not sure a cold drop into one is a good idea at this stage, at least for me.

Thoughts?

nbaguy

Postby nbaguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:40 pm

What if your firm is 8+ hours away and you have exams on either side of the invitation date, but not on the same day? Plane tickets are ~$300 and I'm a poor student

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 pm

nbaguy wrote:What if your firm is 8+ hours away and you have exams on either side of the invitation date, but not on the same day? Plane tickets are ~$300 and I'm a poor student

Well then I think you have a far easier decision. They couldn't possibly expect a student in the midst of finals (or frankly regardless) to fly out just for the holiday party. That would be ridiculous. You'd have a totally legit excuse not to go. This is a much tougher decision for those more within range.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:10 pm

nbaguy wrote:What if your firm is 8+ hours away and you have exams on either side of the invitation date, but not on the same day? Plane tickets are ~$300 and I'm a poor student

I think it's implied that the firm will pay your way to come out. At least it's something worth inquiring about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:26 pm

On a similar note, I was just invited to my firm's party just a couple of days in advance. Told them I'll be going despite the fact that I have an exam the same day (before the party). What exactly should I wear to this thing? Suit up like I did for the interviews? I've never been around the firm other than the one time I interviewed, so I don't know exactly what the expected attire is. I don't want to look like an over-dressed douche, but I don't want to go in under-dressed either. Help please?

TXIPLitigator

Postby TXIPLitigator » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, I was just invited to my firm's party just a couple of days in advance. Told them I'll be going despite the fact that I have an exam the same day (before the party). What exactly should I wear to this thing? Suit up like I did for the interviews? I've never been around the firm other than the one time I interviewed, so I don't know exactly what the expected attire is. I don't want to look like an over-dressed douche, but I don't want to go in under-dressed either. Help please?

Ask recruiting.

It might depend on the firm/type of party. Some firms in Texas (where I have my experience) have smaller office parties. Others have parties with hundreds of people (with clients/friends of firm/etc attending).

Also, do other firms not reimburse for travel? (or just book flight/hotel for the soon-to-be SA?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Now that I'm seeing this thread for the first time, part of me is a little anxious now that I turned my firm's party down.

3L, DC offer in hand, party is the 22nd, I live 6 hours away. No mention of travel reimbursement, so I just politely declined.

Should I really have tried to pull this off, or is this just typical TLS panty-bunching?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm

TXIPLitigator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, I was just invited to my firm's party just a couple of days in advance. Told them I'll be going despite the fact that I have an exam the same day (before the party). What exactly should I wear to this thing? Suit up like I did for the interviews? I've never been around the firm other than the one time I interviewed, so I don't know exactly what the expected attire is. I don't want to look like an over-dressed douche, but I don't want to go in under-dressed either. Help please?

Ask recruiting.

It might depend on the firm/type of party. Some firms in Texas (where I have my experience) have smaller office parties. Others have parties with hundreds of people (with clients/friends of firm/etc attending).

Also, do other firms not reimburse for travel? (or just book flight/hotel for the soon-to-be SA?)

It wouldn't be too helpful to ask recruiting because the recruiting folks are in a different office. This is one small office of a very large firm. I think that most people at the firm don't suit-up too often, but I'm inclined to wear the suit and just take off the jacket if it comes to that. Bad idea?

mrowkat

Postby mrowkat » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 am

Hate to say this, but you should go. Firm "social events" are close to mandatory for SAs - if a partner is going to suffer an hours away from work and leisure on your behalf, you had darn well better be there. Or have a great excuse for not going (emergency room, grandma died, etc.).

Edit: wrong preposition

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:06 am

mrowkat wrote:Hate to say this, but you should go. Firm "social events" are close to mandatory for SAs - if a partner is going to suffer an hours away from work and leisure on your behalf, you had darn well better be there. Or have a great excuse for not going (emergency room, grandma died, etc.).

Firm holiday parties are not on behalf of SA's, they are for employees of the firm. Certainly no biglaw partner would suffer hours away from work/leisure for an SA that hasn't even started yet.

mrowkat

Postby mrowkat » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 am

chasgoose wrote:
mrowkat wrote:Hate to say this, but you should go. Firm "social events" are close to mandatory for SAs - if a partner is going to suffer an hours away from work and leisure on your behalf, you had darn well better be there. Or have a great excuse for not going (emergency room, grandma died, etc.).

Firm holiday parties are not on behalf of SA's, they are for employees of the firm. Certainly no biglaw partner would suffer hours away from work/leisure for an SA that hasn't even started yet.

Fair enough. Just my personal experience, but missing out on social events (any social events) was a huge faux pas at my firm last summer. The advice I gave was what the senior associate told me the first week. You can do what you want, but I'm letting my no-offer paranoia drive me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:32 pm

chasgoose wrote:

Possibly true for most, but not true for all. My firm actually had a separate, smaller holiday party for the SAs and attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:34 am

I, and the other future SA's at my firm (NLJ 250, secondary market), were invited the week of the holiday party. Wanted to go, but would have had to move up a self-scheduled final a day earlier than I had been planning to take it. They understood when I declined to continue studying for exams, I think/hope... basically if it directly or indirectly conflicts with exams, don't feel obligated to go, but you should probably go otherwise.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 am

Go if you can make it - it's always helpful to meet your future colleagues. Not a big deal if you can't. Office holiday parties are not as big of a deal as everyone makes them out to be. Nobody's making a list of who's not coming to blacklist them in the future.

Return to “Legal Employment”