Holiday Party Invite Pre SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Go?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

XM3045

New

Holiday Party Invite Pre SA

Post by XM3045 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:56 pm

A couple days ago I got an invite to the holiday party from the firm that I will be SAing at this summer. It's a biglaw firm in DC that usually has around 10-15 SAs and I go to school in DC, so it would be very easy to go.
Is it normal to get invited to a holiday party prior to actually doing any work? I feel like it would be weird in some ways to actually go (and that I got invited merely as a courtesy sort of thing?), but on the other hand some of my friends have said it would be poor form to not go. The party takes place pre exam time.

Mainly just curious as to what people think.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Re: Holiday Party Invite Pre SA

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Is this a humble brag? GO!

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:Is this a humble brag?
Haha. No-mainly out of boredom in a 3 hour lecture.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Stay for 30 minutes to an hour. Say hi to people you met, meet a few new faces. Overall, a two-way street for you to get more comfortable with them and vice-versa before the summer.

Then leave before everyone gets drunk - yourself included (you don't want to pull a butter knife on a partner before the summer even starts!).

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Not out of the ordinary, and definitely go. Make sure to pregame it pretty hard, though, as you will want to avoid the impropriety of being dubbed by the first and second-years as a "lightweight."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Nobody sends out invites expecting you to decline. It was a courtesy, and it would be just as courteous to go. GO!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm

is it a major faux pas not to go?

I'm 3 hours or so away from where I'll be summering, so it's technically "out of town," and the holiday party is right in the middle of finals. I already RSVP'd that I couldn't go, but did I make a mistake?

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it a major faux pas not to go?

I'm 3 hours or so away from where I'll be summering, so it's technically "out of town," and the holiday party is right in the middle of finals. I already RSVP'd that I couldn't go, but did I make a mistake?
No, it's not a mistake. Holiday parties are a good opportunity to meet with people outside the work environment, but are by no means mandatory.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I would actually not go. There is zero harm from not going. If you go then you are walking into a party where you know nobody and everyone will be wasted. Plus people in law are social weirdos. Oftentimes partners sit these things out. And if you go during finals and from three hours away for what is a 30 minute drop-in everyone will think you are a little nuts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. A partner I interviewed with was copied on my invitation. I replied saying that I appreciated the invitation, but it would be extremely difficult for me to drive the 5 hours to attend a party right before finals. The partner replied "You should probably make time for this." So I'm going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 pm

A big part of the summer associate position that the partners are evaluating is your enthusiasm for the firm. That means everything leading up to when you have a permanent offer in hand. So, yes, you should go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 pm

MrAnon wrote:I would actually not go. There is zero harm from not going. If you go then you are walking into a party where you know nobody and everyone will be wasted. Plus people in law are social weirdos. Oftentimes partners sit these things out. And if you go during finals and from three hours away for what is a 30 minute drop-in everyone will think you are a little nuts.
This is absurd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm in the same boat. A partner I interviewed with was copied on my invitation. I replied saying that I appreciated the invitation, but it would be extremely difficult for me to drive the 5 hours to attend a party right before finals. The partner replied "You should probably make time for this." So I'm going.
IS THIS FOR REAL?

Fuarrrrk. Am I the only person who turned down my invite since it's in the midst of exams?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I RSVP'd to mine, but also told them that I may not make it because I have a final the next morning. Told me it was fine and that I could change my mind at any time.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

IS THIS FOR REAL?

Fuarrrrk. Am I the only person who turned down my invite since it's in the midst of exams?
THey definitely expect you to come dude. You think they didn't realize it was during finals when they invited you? Don't blow off the firm at your first opportunity to show interest. If you were interviewing with them and didn't have a job, would you go to this even if it was during finals, assuming you wanted to work at the firm? YES. Well, your SA is just a 3 month interview and you currently don't have a job, so why the hell are you blowing this off? Your grades don't even matter anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Partner sounds like a douche.

--biglaw associate

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 pm

XM3045 wrote:the firm that I will be SAing at this summer. It's a biglaw firm in DC that usually has around 10-15 SAs and I go to school in DC, so it would be very easy to go.
I didn't know there were schools in DC from which you could get an SA. Maybe you mean you went to undergrad in DC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 pm

ben4847 wrote:
XM3045 wrote:the firm that I will be SAing at this summer. It's a biglaw firm in DC that usually has around 10-15 SAs and I go to school in DC, so it would be very easy to go.
I didn't know there were schools in DC from which you could get an SA. Maybe you mean you went to undergrad in DC.
Strange anti GULC trolling.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A big part of the summer associate position that the partners are evaluating is your enthusiasm for the firm. That means everything leading up to when you have a permanent offer in hand. So, yes, you should go.
This is exactly why I'm going. I certainly won't be no-offered for a lack of enthusiasm and dedication to the firm.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I would actually not go. There is zero harm from not going. If you go then you are walking into a party where you know nobody and everyone will be wasted. Plus people in law are social weirdos. Oftentimes partners sit these things out. And if you go during finals and from three hours away for what is a 30 minute drop-in everyone will think you are a little nuts.
This is absurd.
Well, he is the worst poster on TLS, so what do you expect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--biglaw associate
+1

I really hope you're right. It seems absurd to make someone drive 10 hours round trip to pop their head in for 30 minutes and watch other people get drunk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--biglaw associate
Total douche. Half of his own associates won't even go to the stupid party. He expects you to drive 5 hours? Submit for mileage/gas reimbursement.

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Are invites to firm holidays common or do only a handful of firms do this?

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Sounds like it's not that abnormal to get invited to these things pre SA, so I'm planning on going and engage in some pre summer sucking up.
ben4847 wrote:I didn't know there were schools in DC from which you could get an SA. Maybe you mean you went to undergrad in DC.
Really dude? Time to grow up.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--biglaw associate
Total douche. Half of his own associates won't even go to the stupid party. He expects you to drive 5 hours? Submit for mileage/gas reimbursement.
Just wait until he finds out what he expects associates to do!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”