question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:26 pm

I’m a 2L at gw - no job, barely any screeners due to being median. (Somehow….) got an internship for a year with the federal govt doj (civil division) – spring and fall but did not apply to summer honors b/c I was out of the country.

I have a lot of govt work (1L summer), and was interested in working for my 2L summer in govt again. But I would like something paid, even if it’s 5$ an hour, I don’t care I would like some kind of stipend. What recommendations do you have for pursuing this? A lot of the govt agencies have unpaid volunteer positions in addition to the paid honors programs. Is there a way to work full time for the government and earn some money this summer?

Would working for the federal govt. look bad if apply to small medium firms or 3L OCI (as if..)? Not sure if I have to have an SA to get a SA after graduation with any firm.

Would you recommend doing a volunteer internship with a federal agency something like Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, or are these not prestigious enough? I wish there was a thread for govt. job search/career planning/depts. discussion.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:I have a lot of govt work (1L summer), and was interested in working for my 2L summer in govt again. But I would like something paid, even if it’s 5$ an hour, I don’t care I would like some kind of stipend. What recommendations do you have for pursuing this? A lot of the govt agencies have unpaid volunteer positions in addition to the paid honors programs. Is there a way to work full time for the government and earn some money this summer?


I worked for an FCC commissioner last summer. A lot of the internship positions with the FCC Commissioners were paid at like $15/hr. Can't speak to your other questions but I would definitely suggest applying to the various FCC Commissioners.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby monkey85 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:02 pm

What about Small Business Administration (SBA) - they pay and give a transportation subsidy, both during the year and the summer.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:18 pm

great! thanks for the responses - this is the kind of information I am looking for. I also have the Arizona guide but many of those are honors programs with ridiculous requirements and due dates long past.

I'll check those out for now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:great! thanks for the responses - this is the kind of information I am looking for. I also have the Arizona guide but many of those are honors programs with ridiculous requirements and due dates long past.

I'll check those out for now.

Consumer Product Safety Commission and General Services Administration hire paid legal interns.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 pm

do you know what office specifically within the GSA? I have govt. contracts experience from the summer and doing that now as well for the fall. I applied blindly to General Counsel but there were no internship postings, info on programs, or anything on the website. Would they still pay interns or is this more from past when they had more funding?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:do you know what office specifically within the GSA? I have govt. contracts experience from the summer and doing that now as well for the fall. I applied blindly to General Counsel but there were no internship postings, info on programs, or anything on the website. Would they still pay interns or is this more from past when they had more funding?

Right, it's an unlisted paid internship program with the General Counsel. I got mine the same way you, just blindly applying to a name in a government directory. As of last summer, my contacts said it was paid and they were fairly shocked at the idea of not paying interns.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:06 pm

OP--> GW has a program where they give students money for gov't work. Last summer they didn't even distribute all the funds available. Why not go through that if forced to do unpaid?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 pm

If you're interested in applying to DOJ Honors as a 3L I'd recommend interning at a US Attorney's Office. See if your school has some program that will allow you to earn a credit or two.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Want to work for a small or medium sized firm? Go find a term clerk position at one right now.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:08 pm

@lawschoolftw is this a small amount like 1000 dollars or something for the whole summer? I guess I'll try to find some funding -any idea what office would deal with this?

Also, if I get offered a summer unpaid internship, possibly an Honors one, how would firms look at that later? Does it matter if it is honors, unpaid, govt?

The more I think about it, the less I want to deal with billing, law firm culture, etc. I've worked for the govt and always liked it, not sure though if with all the funding cuts, I am making myself less marketable to private employers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:@lawschoolftw is this a small amount like 1000 dollars or something for the whole summer? I guess I'll try to find some funding -any idea what office would deal with this?

Also, if I get offered a summer unpaid internship, possibly an Honors one, how would firms look at that later? Does it matter if it is honors, unpaid, govt?

The more I think about it, the less I want to deal with billing, law firm culture, etc. I've worked for the govt and always liked it, not sure though if with all the funding cuts, I am making myself less marketable to private employers.


I'm not real sure, I heard about it from someone in SBA so you may want to ask around, someone in SBA. I'll look into it with a friend tomorrow and let you know.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: question from 2L about govt externships/summer positions

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 pm

great thank you, that would be so helpful.

Also, GSA does not pay interns anymore just confirmed with someone from over there. She said b/c of lack of funding...sigh

For the spring semester, would you guys recommend a GSA or a DOJ unpaid internship? Are both good on the resume or is one better? I know its a semester, but it's important to me, I need anything to help my resume and bad grades




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.