Government Hiring "Funding Hurdles"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

Re: Government Hiring "Funding Hurdles"

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I have to say I don't think anyone is choosing fed govt because of principles...If i had the option of big law (hahahah), I would have taken it and done split summer or part time with a federal agency. Let's be realistic, no one is doing 2l govt because they want to, we're doing it because that's our only option.

True, I've always wanted govt but I could have spent a summer doing nothing and getting paid, and then apply to fed programs (I have more than enough public interest internships).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Opinions on the Government Accountability Office's summer associate program? They said that they intended to hire everyone back for full time, so just wondering if this was legit. They are also facing budget constraints.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Opinions on the Government Accountability Office's summer associate program? They said that they intended to hire everyone back for full time, so just wondering if this was legit. They are also facing budget constraints.

I would count on it. I did a screener for a permanent position with them last year and then got a letter saying they wanted to call me back, but the funding had been pulled and they would be hiring no one. Also, my friend who works there said they are getting 15% across the board budget cuts, a hiring freeze, and several regional office closures. That was all before sequestration hit, so I can't imagine what it is like now. Maybe they intend to hire everyone back in the same way that law school is intended to prepare people to practice law?

ladeeda

Postby ladeeda » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:I have to say I don't think anyone is choosing fed govt because of principles...If i had the option of big law (hahahah), I would have taken it and done split summer or part time with a federal agency. Let's be realistic, no one is doing 2l govt because they want to, we're doing it because that's our only option.

True, I've always wanted govt but I could have spent a summer doing nothing and getting paid, and then apply to fed programs (I have more than enough public interest internships).

Not true. Some of us actually skipped OCI or used like 1/6 of our available bids because we didn't want that. And BigGov hiring is often more competitive than BigLaw because there are so few positions and so many people who want them. It amuses me that people resort to SLIP only after striking out at OCI. I can't imagine that they are too successful.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What impact would the upcoming election have on all this? (if any)

Romney pledged to cut the federal workforce by 10%. Can't imagine that would make things better.

He won't win so it's okay

ladeeda

Postby ladeeda » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Opinions on the Government Accountability Office's summer associate program? They said that they intended to hire everyone back for full time, so just wondering if this was legit. They are also facing budget constraints.

I would count on it. I did a screener for a permanent position with them last year and then got a letter saying they wanted to call me back, but the funding had been pulled and they would be hiring no one. Also, my friend who works there said they are getting 15% across the board budget cuts, a hiring freeze, and several regional office closures. That was all before sequestration hit, so I can't imagine what it is like now. Maybe they intend to hire everyone back in the same way that law school is intended to prepare people to practice law?

I second this. I know some people there, and they were still stressing/complaining about budget cuts when I last saw them in July.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 am

If you want a government gig, keep applying and applying. Pay no attention to whether there are budget cuts, or hiring freezes, because the whims of Congress are unpredictable. When the funding floodgates open, if you can't be the first in line, you at least want to be in line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Did you get an offer from them? I heard about people getting dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes I have an offer from GAO, got about 2 weeks ago...still no firm offers though

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm

ladeeda wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:I have to say I don't think anyone is choosing fed govt because of principles...If i had the option of big law (hahahah), I would have taken it and done split summer or part time with a federal agency. Let's be realistic, no one is doing 2l govt because they want to, we're doing it because that's our only option.

Not true. Some of us actually skipped OCI or used like 1/6 of our available bids because we didn't want that. And BigGov hiring is often more competitive than BigLaw because there are so few positions and so many people who want them. It amuses me that people resort to SLIP only after striking out at OCI. I can't imagine that they are too successful.

I think some people do forgo big law because they want gov, but if you look at the stats of the people getting the DOJ Honors interviews in the DOJ Honors thread....most of them are very respectable stats but usually not enough for big law (T1/top 20%, T30/top third, etc). To a large extent, though, big law and gov are just looking for different things. Gov wants people to have relevant experience and show commitment. If you are doing gov internships during the year and doing moot court, your grades may suffer. If you didn't do those things, maybe your grades would be higher and you could snag big law. I am doing big law but reading all these threads about government hiring recently have made me second guess myself. The Office of the Comptroller of Currency sounds like a pretty awesome gig.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Opinions on the Government Accountability Office's summer associate program? They said that they intended to hire everyone back for full time, so just wondering if this was legit. They are also facing budget constraints.

GAO is hiring between 4-7 associates for this coming summer. Website says SA's have a *substantial* advantage over other applicants for entry-level attorney positions post-graduation.

Yes, the 2010 SA program was cancelled however in the interview they made it clear they intend to hire all associates this summer, and that the previous summer saw all the associates get offers (as far as I know).

Another interesting point is that GAO's 2011 budget was around $550 million and GAO proposed $88 billion of cuts to Congress of which they adopted around 80%. GAO essentially pays for itself plus it is a CONGRESSIONAL, and NOT executive agency which makes its budget a bit more predictable and less prone to political animosity (and its mission to serve Congress and basically AUDIT the fed. gov. makes it appealing given the new push for accountability, oversight, and less waste in gov.). I also interviewed with EPA and although I haven't even heard back, they said over the phone that they hired only ONE of their SA's last year and maybe 1 the year before, so GAO seems like the clear choice...

GAO also doesn't have to follow pay scale of fed., it has its own band system, in which attorneys make more than comparable positions in rest of the fed. gov. Check it out.

Of course, the budget may change and cuts may be made but if you're going to go anywhere in the federal government, from what I researched, it seems like the GAO is the place to secure post-grad employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 am

Yes I have an offer from GAO, got about 2 weeks ago...still no firm offers though

Me too. Seems like a good choice.

What you think?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 am

somewhatwayward wrote:I think some people do forgo big law because they want gov, but if you look at the stats of the people getting the DOJ Honors interviews in the DOJ Honors thread....most of them are very respectable stats but usually not enough for big law (T1/top 20%, T30/top third, etc). To a large extent, though, big law and gov are just looking for different things. Gov wants people to have relevant experience and show commitment. If you are doing gov internships during the year and doing moot court, your grades may suffer. If you didn't do those things, maybe your grades would be higher and you could snag big law. I am doing big law but reading all these threads about government hiring recently have made me second guess myself. The Office of the Comptroller of Currency sounds like a pretty awesome gig.

There is some truth to this, in the sense that agencies might interview people that BigLaw won't, and they place a higher value on relevant experience. My sense is that is partially because they expect you to take on more responsibility much sooner than in firms.

That being said, there are many people at T14s with good grades that can easily get BigLaw but cannot get (or are REALLY rolling the dice) many government agencies. Most of the people who are hired for DOJ Honors had the credentials for BigLaw. In fact, many greatly exceeded those credentials (slightly above median at Columbia probably has little chance at DOJ, but of course can easily get BigLaw). There are some exceptions, e.g., the extremely focused immigration student in the top 15% at a T2 might get EOIR but have little chance at a big firm, but for the most part the former holds true. This also reflects the practice of DOJ taking top students from a smattering of "lower" schools. I say this with the caveat that I am not familiar with how things work at YHS, but my guess is they are a little different than for the other T14s (maybe median at H has a chance with relevant experience?).

Also, all this advice to go firm-> DOJ was great 5 years ago, but is I think it's terrible advice now. How many laterals do you think Civil Rights has hired in the last 5 years? ENRD? Antitrust?

Return to “Legal Employment”