DoD Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DoD Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Anyone here apply for DoD honors this year? Can anyone comment as to how the program was if you've already been through it or how the app process works? Doesn't seem like this program gets as much hype or attention as the others. Seems like they don't do interviews and just pick based off your application. I wonder how competitive this particular program is.

Anonymous User

Re: DoD Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:45 am

Also applied to DOD for this summer. The process is pretty much how you described it; the whole thing is just based on the application you submitted. They should be getting back to 2L applicants soon - they said somewhere in mid/late November to early December.

I'm told by a friend in DOD that the whole thing is "definitely competitive" for whatever that's worth. I realize that doesn't really put a number on it, though. Given that it pays better than DOJ SLIP and that DOD doesn't have the same hiring freeze that Justice does, I would guess that DOD should be more competitive. Except that, like you, I haven't heard a whole lot of talk about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:58 pm

OP here. After some digging around, I found that competition in at least one of the recent years was 350 applications for 12 spots. So approx. 1 spot per 30 people. I'd say that's competitive :oops: Looking on linkedin, it seems most people who did the program had insane military experience, or insane fed. gov experience. Their resumes literally made my jaw drop.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 pm

That makes sense since the app instructions said to put down any gov't related experience and contacts you know at the Pentagon.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:22 pm

anyone here apply this year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:01 pm

I applied through my school in the beginning of October. Only word I've gotten is that my app was received and is complete. Since I am not ex-military, I am not holding my breath. It would be awesome to work in the Intelligence division, though.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied through my school in the beginning of October. Only word I've gotten is that my app was received and is complete. Since I am not ex-military, I am not holding my breath. It would be awesome to work in the Intelligence division, though.

yep, same.

definitely no military experience, only summer experience with DHS, so also am very skeptical of my chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied through my school in the beginning of October. Only word I've gotten is that my app was received and is complete. Since I am not ex-military, I am not holding my breath. It would be awesome to work in the Intelligence division, though.

yep, same.

definitely no military experience, only summer experience with DHS, so also am very skeptical of my chances.

I've heard they usually get a few of clerks who are former military, but not all. Others usually have some background in natl security or govt of some sort.

Return to “Legal Employment”