Why are no FL firms hiring SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Why are no FL firms hiring SA

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Every single firm that I have contacted is either full from OCI or not hiring. Any insight besides "the economy sucks"

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Why are no FL firms hiring SA

Post by MrAnon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Man its fairly common to not find any firm SA position if you didn't find one at OCI.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't go to a FL law school

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I don't go to a FL law school
Prime example of why people should not (as a general rule) attend schools that are physically located outside the legal market where they want to practice.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the helpful comment

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Thanks for the helpful comment
It may not be helpful for you, but it might be for others who want to get a job in Florida and are considering attending a law school out of state. Especially those considering law schools that do not place nationally.

Your question has (largely) been answered already: law firms with established summer associate programs hire a vast majority of their summer associates through OCI programs. These OCI programs usually take place either at schools with national hiring placement, and schools that are convenient for the firms to travel to (i.e., firms within their region or legal market).

Your inability to land a FL SA position is probably due to attending a law school outside the state of FL.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Because they already did their hiring in July, August & September. They are telling you they're full because they are. At this point it's more about your bad timing than the economy.

It's possible, if they decide they under-hired, that they will be looking for people going forward. One TLSer got his SA in FL later in the game, but kept hustling well into the new year after OCI.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 pm

I realize that many firms are full from OCI. I also realize that this is how many people get jobs. I also understand that many people do not, in fact, get their jobs from OCI. I have been e-mailing some firms (corps and law firms) that do not do OCIs, but still hire summer associates. Also, I have been e-mailing mid size firms that only go to very few schools for OCI. Thus, I thought perhaps there would be chance that maybe some of the firms that do not always recruit everyone from OCI or that do not even do OCI would be looking to hire. Anyway, thanks for all the help and positivity.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I will keep hustling

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I realize that many firms are full from OCI. I also realize that this is how many people get jobs. I also understand that many people do not, in fact, get their jobs from OCI. I have been e-mailing some firms (corps and law firms) that do not do OCIs, but still hire summer associates. Also, I have been e-mailing mid size firms that only go to very few schools for OCI. Thus, I thought perhaps there would be chance that maybe some of the firms that do not always recruit everyone from OCI or that do not even do OCI would be looking to hire. Anyway, thanks for all the help and positivity.
Definitely keep hustling. Feel free to post a redacted version of your cold-call email for a critique if you'd like. It may be that improvements in that email could increase your yield.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I will keep hustling
Unfortunately that's the only thing you can do. Try not to get discouraged... which I know sounds impossible. The only way to have a prayer of winning at this stage is to be tireless.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Im already disgruntled and I haven't even gotten a job yet

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Im already disgruntled and I haven't even gotten a job yet
If you were entitled to an SA you would have one already.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Cool. Your stats are really impressive by the way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:19 pm

FL jobs are insanely competitive right now. Lots of people from good non-FL snap up spots. I'm one of them. 3 offers in FL. UT/Vanderbilt, top third.

A lot of the hiring in FL is basically done now. But a minimal amount of hiring does happen in the early spring.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FL jobs are insanely competitive right now. Lots of people from good non-FL snap up spots. I'm one of them. 3 offers in FL. UT/Vanderbilt, top third.

A lot of the hiring in FL is basically done now. But a minimal amount of hiring does happen in the early spring.
Echo the sentiments expressed here.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm not trying to be a cunt, though that does sorta come naturally to me. It's just important to be realistic and have a good attitude about this shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Also, it because the economy sucks. That's the exact reason. Sorry bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Miami hiring is horrible. Avoid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Florida firms have definitely been tough. I was able to land a big law SA but it was tough (T10 median)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Florida firms have definitely been tough. I was able to land a big law SA but it was tough (T10 median)
T6 median and it was still tough

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:47 am

HYS 3L (rank unknown, but assume median or better) and it was extremely tough to land a permanent position.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 am

Yeah I think that it should be noted that smaller markets are generally more competitive than larger markets. Assuming one has met the bare minimum threshold to be an attractive candidate in a smaller market, that individual has to compete other candidates from the tip top of local schools, the top of strong regional schools, and the T14 candidates for local positions.

Most local firm offices in smaller markets will hire a least a couple of candidates from local schools each year (same city/state as the office), and this is important because if we assume firm offices in smaller markets take few summer associates - the number of spots open for non-competitive candidates is pretty much 0 (at least in terms of attractive private practice, which these days seems to be firms of 20+ attorneys).

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:14 am

Will be applying to a good MBA program should your dire prophecies come to fruition

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Will be applying to a good MBA program should your dire prophecies come to fruition
I would proceed with caution to avoid throwing good money after bad. Hiring out of MBA programs is maybe more unpredictable than out of law school. Do you have quality work experience?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”