3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clarebear726

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby clarebear726 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:16 am

Last edited by clarebear726 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:callback for san diego today. does anyone know what the 2nd one is like? the guy i interviewed with said it was performance based, but they also said it was skype, so this will be interesting

Has anyone who attends school in SD heard back about second round interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

San Diego interns bypass the first round. The office started the performance test interview a few weeks ago with most of their current interns.

Source: I intern at San Diego PD's office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Anybody have philly second round yet? I just scheduled mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have philly second round yet? I just scheduled mine.

I did. It's a chat with the Chief PD and the Deputy PD. Both are very nice. They ask you about yourself, why you want to do the work, if you think you can handle their case load. The other half of the interview is just them telling your about the pay, their training program and a little more about the criminal justice system in Philly.

All in all, low stress. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Has anyone heard from the Marion County (Indianapolis) PD?

They said that they would let people know by the end of the month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:San Diego interns bypass the first round. The office started the performance test interview a few weeks ago with most of their current interns.

Source: I intern at San Diego PD's office

Has anyone (current/past interns or otherwise) heard back after the performance round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:50 am

Anyone know when LAS' hiring committee next meets to decide offers? I had a first round in January and figure I won't hear about a possible second round until they figure out how many openings they have left. I thought I got ditched already, but I heard one person who also interviewed around then was dinged a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard from them at all.

Also, I've done final rounds with other offices and am anxiously hoping for an offer. If you get an offer and haven't even gotten to round 2, let alone round 3 with LAS by then, I guess you're out of luck with LAS then, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know when LAS' hiring committee next meets to decide offers? I had a first round in January and figure I won't hear about a possible second round until they figure out how many openings they have left. I thought I got ditched already, but I heard one person who also interviewed around then was dinged a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard from them at all.

Also, I've done final rounds with other offices and am anxiously hoping for an offer. If you get an offer and haven't even gotten to round 2, let alone round 3 with LAS by then, I guess you're out of luck with LAS then, right?

I don't think so. If you get an offer with another office, let LAS know immediately. They can expedite your application (source: Tina, my supervisor asked her about it yesterday). Also, it wouldn't hurt to e-mail the person who scheduled your panel and ask for an update. Let her know what's going on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 pm

dinged from philly today....forgot i applied bc i thought i missed the deadline. turns out i did, which they informed me of in their email today. fail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:16 pm

snail mail ding from NHPD. I had my panel in september... so i saw this one coming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Has anyone heard from Palm Beach after the second batch of interviews in Jan/Feb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:43 am

Anyone familiar with Orange County's (CA) Post-Bar process/hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm

I interviewed with San Diego first round via Skype 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard back about scheduling a second round. Likely out? Have most non SD interns heard back yet? Just got an offer to interview with OPD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with San Diego first round via Skype 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard back about scheduling a second round. Likely out? Have most non SD interns heard back yet? Just got an offer to interview with OPD.

How long did OC take to get back to you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Anyone know what PDS means by a three-page "persuasive pleading" in the hypo for the trial attorney position? I take it they mean a motion to suppress, but maybe minus the facts section given the page limitations, but I haven't heard it referred to in that way before, so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any sense of the pros/cons of PDS versus the PD offices in NYC? I was all set on an office in NY but this sudden PDS posting has me wondering which is "better" (whatever that means).

I've seen a lot of the work that PDS does (I've been practicing for a bit over a couple years now), and the quality of its advocacy is really high. It's basically the equivalent of a federal PD office in that respect. But it needs to be--they're up against the USAO, not some Podunk SA office.

A lot/most misdemeanors are handled by the DC AG's office, so it'd be a waste of resources to put PDS up against that (DC AG is fucking horrible for criminal).

Pay is way more reasonable than NYC PD offices too. However, $67k in the DC metro area still sucks really badly. Don't plan on saving anything if you want to live on your own with a lower middle class lifestyle... But I get the feeling that the pay ramps up much more quickly there than typical PD offices (if it's scaled to match the USAO pay, like FPD offices are, pay should get quite reasonable to generous within 5 years).

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what PDS means by a three-page "persuasive pleading" in the hypo for the trial attorney position? I take it they mean a motion to suppress, but maybe minus the facts section given the page limitations, but I haven't heard it referred to in that way before, so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Can't most pleadings be persuasive? I've seen quite persuasive motions to continue on the day of trial.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what PDS means by a three-page "persuasive pleading" in the hypo for the trial attorney position? I take it they mean a motion to suppress, but maybe minus the facts section given the page limitations, but I haven't heard it referred to in that way before, so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

I would assume they want you to figure out what kind of pleading you should file and title it appropriately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:

I would assume they want you to figure out what kind of pleading you should file and title it appropriately.

Ok, I guess. It's just that DC does so many things differently I wondered if it was something unique to DC. I think of pleadings as more of a civil thing. Anyway guess I'll write up this fake motion to suppress statements for this job I have zero chance of gettin anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Ok, I guess. It's just that DC does so many things differently I wondered if it was something unique to DC. I think of pleadings as more of a civil thing. Anyway guess I'll write up this fake motion to suppress statements for this job I have zero chance of gettin anyway.

You and me both brother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I just absolutely TANKED the BDS second round. So much so that one of them told me in so many words that this is not the career for me.

Sigh.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just absolutely TANKED the BDS second round. So much so that one of them told me in so many words that this is not the career for me.

Sigh.

Oh man. Sorry to hear. I tanked the first round with them, so at least you did better than I did to get to round two. Also, don't let the criticism get you down. Keep on plugging away to get the PD job that is a better fit for you.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just absolutely TANKED the BDS second round. So much so that one of them told me in so many words that this is not the career for me.

Sigh.

Everybody has a bad day. Don't let it get u down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Sigh.

Don't take it personally. It's just one office/one person. I had a public defender I greatly respected tell me that s/he thought I was a terrible public speaker and I would never be a good public defender. Fortunately, s/he changed his/her mind after seeing me engaged in public speaking in other contexts. The point of this story: one person's quick assumption/judgment about your skills is not always accurate. Don't give up. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”