3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the CPCS App - Mine expired at 5pm on the date listed even though it was a Saturday.

I've been "under review" with them since November. I have no idea when they actually start interviewing people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back about a second round with San Diego?

I'm wondering about this too. Did they tell you when they would notify you about second rounds?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:49 am

I received an offer for one of the unpaid postbar clerkships in CA. Not sure what to do as I still haven't heard from a ton of PD offices across the country that actually pay. I kind of wish this offer didn't happen so early.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer for one of the unpaid postbar clerkships in CA. Not sure what to do as I still haven't heard from a ton of PD offices across the country that actually pay. I kind of wish this offer didn't happen so early.

When u think about it, the real problem is that so many paid positions haven't hired yet. Seriously, it's 7 weeks until most states bar apps are due. Making us wait until the last second for a fricking paid job is absurd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am

Anyone have any tips/tricks/major red flag items to share for doing client interview/bail hearings during an interview? there are some good points in some of the way older posts, but anything people have gotten comments on this year or common mistakes would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:04 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer for one of the unpaid postbar clerkships in CA. Not sure what to do as I still haven't heard from a ton of PD offices across the country that actually pay. I kind of wish this offer didn't happen so early.

When u think about it, the real problem is that so many paid positions haven't hired yet. Seriously, it's 7 weeks until most states bar apps are due. Making us wait until the last second for a fricking paid job is absurd.

I agree with this. The PA bar and the New York bar are the same day... so how am I supposed to know which bar to take if I haven't heard about a job offer- even though I finished most of my New York interviews long ago. Absurd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 pm

I posted about a COlorado interview offer earlier. I just noticed that they sort of awkwardly sent it as a mass email and so I could see everyone else that was on it. They emailed 13 people. I have no idea if that was just one recruiter and they emailed way more but thought that I would let you guys know.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted about a COlorado interview offer earlier. I just noticed that they sort of awkwardly sent it as a mass email and so I could see everyone else that was on it. They emailed 13 people. I have no idea if that was just one recruiter and they emailed way more but thought that I would let you guys know.

Lololol!

Because of this post I searched my inbox. Lo and behold, a letter from Colorado PD I had missed!!!

The attached letter states I will not be offered employment.

Fucking ouch.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 am

PDS is hiring. Only 3 positions. But if you live in the area or you have a travel budget to burn...

ETA: anybody know what they pay? I know COL in DC is insane, so I'm curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back about a second round with San Diego?

No but my interviewer said relatively soon so in PD time that can be like 1-2 mos.

Regarding CPCS about a month ago they said they'd start sending interview requests in two weeks so they are likely crazy behind as well.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:PDS is hiring. Only 3 positions. But if you live in the area or you have a travel budget to burn...

I think it's pretty high because they are federally funded. I mean not big law wages but def higher than lots of state PDs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:59 pm

spleenworship wrote:PDS is hiring. Only 3 positions. But if you live in the area or you have a travel budget to burn...

From the posting now on their website: The starting salary for recent law school graduates who are not yet admitted to the District of Columbia bar is $57,426; the salary increases to $67,297 upon bar admission.

So, not bad at all. And there are some ways to get around the high cost of living, such as living in Virginia and Maryland. You don't even have to go far into either state if you're willing to live in an older building and search around.

ETA: Not meant to be anon - Lawst.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Historically, PDS has funded travel for later-round interviews.

More info about the job at --LinkRemoved--[1].pdf

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Does anyone have any sense of the pros/cons of PDS versus the PD offices in NYC? I was all set on an office in NY but this sudden PDS posting has me wondering which is "better" (whatever that means).

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any sense of the pros/cons of PDS versus the PD offices in NYC? I was all set on an office in NY but this sudden PDS posting has me wondering which is "better" (whatever that means).

PDS is unquestionably better. They pay more (a LOT more than any NYC office), and they have better budgets for hiring investigators/experts.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Heads-up that PDS wants an official transcript for its application. Man, I almost made it to graduation without having to get one, but eh.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any sense of the pros/cons of PDS versus the PD offices in NYC? I was all set on an office in NY but this sudden PDS posting has me wondering which is "better" (whatever that means).

PDS is unquestionably better. They pay more (a LOT more than any NYC office), and they have better budgets for hiring investigators/experts.

Its also my understanding that they are a bit more trial heavy and give new lawyers more responsibility. My feel at a lot of the NYC offices, was that is would take you a while (like 3 or 4 years) before you ever got to do a felony trial. Obivously opinions differ on whether or not trial heavy or humanistic offices are better, but I feel like your employability after you leave your first office has to be better when you have more trials under your belt.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 pm

I think mid to high 60's

ETA I see someone else posted exact figures

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Its also my understanding that they are a bit more trial heavy and give new lawyers more responsibility. My feel at a lot of the NYC offices, was that is would take you a while (like 3 or 4 years) before you ever got to do a felony trial. Obivously opinions differ on whether or not trial heavy or humanistic offices are better, but I feel like your employability after you leave your first office has to be better when you have more trials under your belt.

Hmm, so NYC offices (including LAS?) are more holistic than PDS? That is the impression I got....just never actually heard anyone say that before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Hmm, so NYC offices (including LAS?) are more holistic than PDS? That is the impression I got....just never actually heard anyone say that before.

The difference derives in part from the cities' use of two different PD systems. In NYC, PD offices handle ~80% of cases--including infractions and misdemeanors. (The remaining 20% go to private attorneys.)

In D.C., meanwhile, PDS only gets ~25% of cases. PDS handles the most serious cases in the District--the most serious cases in juvenile court, and only felonies in adult court. PDS more or less doesn't touch a misdemeanor case unless a felony case transforms into a misdemeanor case. (Private attorneys handle the less serious cases, which make up ~75% of all cases in D.C.)

This means that at PDS, you'll be doing adult felonies by year two. (Your first year is in juvi court.) This also means that a holistic model focusing on the whole person--usually addressing collateral consequences from a misdemeanor guilty verdict or plea--is less relevant to the PDS model.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:15 am

FlanAl wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

They are definitely more trial heavy. A lot of the NYC offices focus more on pleas. PDS also doesn't take misdemeanor cases.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I'll add the PDS has a lot of resources towards the social aspect side of defense. They handle parole revos, prepare folks for their parole hearings, and they have a re-entry unit to help people get jobs and stuff. I dont know how this compares to NY offices, but they definitely do a lot of stuff that other offices I've worked at dont touch. On the other hand, they don't even deal with adult misdemeanors so no wonder they have extra resources.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm

callback for san diego today. does anyone know what the 2nd one is like? the guy i interviewed with said it was performance based, but they also said it was skype, so this will be interesting

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:callback for san diego today. does anyone know what the 2nd one is like? the guy i interviewed with said it was performance based, but they also said it was skype, so this will be interesting

I remember reading info about San Diego second round interviews a couple of pages back.

When did you do your first round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 am

Last Monday (in response to when I did first SD interview)

Return to “Legal Employment”