3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Borhas

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have my tenth or eleventh interview coming up, but nothing has come through yet. Starting to exhaust all my resources and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this (financial wise). Something come through please. Hoping I'm not defective.

I feel the EXACT same way (I'm 0/9), so I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. I think we just have to keep a positive attitude and keep applying. Financially it is hard. I'm so frustrated by places interviewing hundreds of people for a few spots, but it's not like we can pass up interviews just because the odds are bad. Keep your head up!!

I graduated in 2012 and posted a lot in the PD gunner forum back then. I went to law school to be a PD and did multiple internships, clinic, etc., but I ended up unemployed at graduation. I felt exactly the same way after doing so many interviews and not getting anything. I kept applying until months later, when I was about to run out of resources and was on the verge of giving up, I finally got hired to be a PD.

It's a frustrating process, but you've got to just keep going. Have confidence in yourself and the work you've done to this point. Do what you have to do to get by financially but don't give up on your goal of becoming a PD. My situation is proof that things can work out in the end even when it seems hopeless.

Good luck everyone!

congrats man, I'm glad it worked out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Just got rejected from Philly :( top choice. Every single panel I have done I was rejected from besides LAS. This tells me I am doing something wrong but I've done mock interviews that went well and I thought I nailed the Philly interview. I really don't want to be in some rural state but it looks like I am not a good enough candidate for that.

kastane23

Postby kastane23 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57 pm

For those interested in Philly deadlines, they told me they expect to make final decisions in mid-March.

Also info. re. LAS. They've started to reject people after panel interviews. I don't know anything about rejections other than after the initial panel.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got rejected from Philly :( top choice. Every single panel I have done I was rejected from besides LAS. This tells me I am doing something wrong but I've done mock interviews that went well and I thought I nailed the Philly interview. I really don't want to be in some rural state but it looks like I am not a good enough candidate for that.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'm sure somebody will hire you. The people hiring now are the most competitive in the nation. It isn't necessarily that you are bad. More likely the issue is that there's just so damn many good candidates for jobs out there. It's brutal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got rejected from Philly :( top choice. Every single panel I have done I was rejected from besides LAS. This tells me I am doing something wrong but I've done mock interviews that went well and I thought I nailed the Philly interview. I really don't want to be in some rural state but it looks like I am not a good enough candidate for that.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'm sure somebody will hire you. The people hiring now are the most competitive in the nation. It isn't necessarily that you are bad. More likely the issue is that there's just so damn many good candidates for jobs out there. It's brutal.

Yeah it just sucks. 4 pd internships, two degrees, t20 school. For some reason I just have this nagging feeling that it's me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:24 pm

kastane23 wrote:For those interested in Philly deadlines, they told me they expect to make final decisions in mid-March.

Also info. re. LAS. They've started to reject people after panel interviews. I don't know anything about rejections other than after the initial panel.

How is LAS rejecting? email or snail mail? I need to know which inbox to fear.

Also, that's good news about Philly. I had understood earlier that they don't make offers until much later, but was wondering if that was accurate since they've been doing second rounds already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 pm

How is LAS rejecting? email or snail mail? I need to know which inbox to fear.

Also, that's good news about Philly. I had understood earlier that they don't make offers until much later, but was wondering if that was accurate since they've been doing second rounds already.[/quote]

Re. Philly- I did my second round yesterday and they told me (almost apologetically) mid-March. Exercise caution, of course, because Legal Aid told me December, and look where we're at.

I am not sure how LAS normally rejects. Apparently, they are almost auto-rejecting after panel (you do a panel and then three days later they send you a rejection). I heard this from my supervisor so I can't give broad details. If you've made it past the panel to Tina, I haven't heard any new news about that process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Just got offer to interview with Colorado after an EJW table talk. Already accepted another offer so will be declining interview and I hope that one of you guys get it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got offer to interview with Colorado after an EJW table talk. Already accepted another offer so will be declining interview and I hope that one of your guys get it.

Congrats! Hopefully some more TSL'ers will begin trickle-announcing Colorado acceptances!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 pm

[/quote]
Yeah it just sucks. 4 pd internships, two degrees, t20 school. For some reason I just have this nagging feeling that it's me.[/quote]

If you thought you killed the interviews, there's a chance that you came off as too academic. A number of people told me that I should really let my personality out and not try to push case law etc. because a t14 degree already makes them worried that you're too bookish and won't relate to clients and the jury.

Also, just general personality around interviewers is super important. I was told by an alum at an office I was interviewing with that "even though its an intimidating panel and they expect you to know your stuff, you have got to make them want to have a beer with you." At the end of that interview I asked the typical questions and then the last question I asked was where i could get a good burger and a beer. They pointed me in the right direction and then offered me the job on the spot.

Since you want to be a PD my guess is that your a nice sociable person and probably fun to be around (the majority of us are) but you really got to let that shine through in your interviews.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got offer to interview with Colorado after an EJW table talk. Already accepted another offer so will be declining interview and I hope that one of your guys get it.

Congrats! Hopefully some more TSL'ers will begin trickle-announcing Colorado acceptances!

So... They're just interviewing EJW people now? Weird. I wonder if I'll get a call.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 am

spleenworship wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

So... They're just interviewing EJW people now? Weird. I wonder if I'll get a call.

No, it sounds like they're actually making acceptances based off of table talk.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 am

Tanicius wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

No, it sounds like they're actually making acceptances based off of table talk.

Srs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:18 am

I'm the above anon. they just emailed me today about an interview. I table talked with them at EJW and that was my only contact, no follow up on my end other than emailing them my materials later that day. It definitely wasn't an offer. I have an offer from another office so I'll be declining their offer to interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

Just got a call from BDS about a second round.

Interviewed with them at the PILC fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah it just sucks. 4 pd internships, two degrees, t20 school. For some reason I just have this nagging feeling that it's me.[/quote]

If you thought you killed the interviews, there's a chance that you came off as too academic. A number of people told me that I should really let my personality out and not try to push case law etc. because a t14 degree already makes them worried that you're too bookish and won't relate to clients and the jury.

Also, just general personality around interviewers is super important. I was told by an alum at an office I was interviewing with that "even though its an intimidating panel and they expect you to know your stuff, you have got to make them want to have a beer with you." At the end of that interview I asked the typical questions and then the last question I asked was where i could get a good burger and a beer. They pointed me in the right direction and then offered me the job on the spot.

Since you want to be a PD my guess is that your a nice sociable person and probably fun to be around (the majority of us are) but you really got to let that shine through in your interviews.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate all the advice I can get! In every interview I've had people laughed and chatted with me like I was interesting. My CSO told me that I need to focus on not answering the hypos right away but going through the process. I've done this and at my last panel I was interrupted and told don't try to out PD me answer the question so I'm confused. Maybe it's because I don't spot every single issue when given only 10 mins to prepare, but then seeing every issue seems impossible. Who knows I guess I'll keep chugging along.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Has anyone else not heard back from Philly after the first round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm finishing my application for CPCS in MA....it says it expires 2/21/14. Does anyone know if that means it expires tonight at midnight, or if that means I have all of tomorrow and it expires tomorrow at midnight? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 pm

For the CPCS App - Mine expired at 5pm on the date listed even though it was a Saturday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got offer to interview with Colorado after an EJW table talk. Already accepted another offer so will be declining interview and I hope that one of you guys get it.

Awesome news!. I couldn't go to EJW, but sent them a resume in November and never heard anything more. Would it be worth calling or sending a follow-up email (maybe with updated resume) to see if I'm still in the running? Or would that be frowned upon? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Has anyone heard back about a second round with San Diego?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else not heard back from Philly after the first round?
I'm still waiting to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?

I scheduled mine for later this month. The only thing I know at the moment is that it's expected to last like two hours or something and it involves a panel. I suspect they give you a hypo when you get there, but I don't know for sure.

They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

This was an intense interview. Did anyone go into this without having done a pd clinical? Must've been impossible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?

I scheduled mine for later this month. The only thing I know at the moment is that it's expected to last like two hours or something and it involves a panel. I suspect they give you a hypo when you get there, but I don't know for sure.

They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

This was an intense interview. Did anyone go into this without having done a pd clinical? Must've been impossible.

I did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 am

just got an interview for a paid postbar clerkship with santa clara. does anyone have any insight into what the interview is like?

Return to “Legal Employment”