3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:27 pm

I have a Miami panel coming up.

I just heard a rumor that Florida C&F is insane.


I have bad credit, mostly from many years ago, but I've also missed some payments while in law school. Also had a lien put on my house from the HOA because I left my garbage can out. Didn't bother to fight it in court, too busy at school.

Anybody know if this will fuck me on C&F in Florida?

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Snail mail reject from BDS. Oh well. It wasn't a great interview.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Lawst wrote:Snail mail reject from BDS. Oh well. It wasn't a great interview.


That sucks. Sorry

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Lawst wrote:Snail mail reject from BDS. Oh well. It wasn't a great interview.


That sucks. Sorry


Thanks. I really wanted that one, but it just didn't go the way I thought it would. Eh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 pm

Any other Philly calls?!

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby jessuf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 am

I got a snail mail rejection from BDS today too, but I was expecting that because the interviewer hated me. I guess I can assume Miami is a rejection too since it's been way more than a week and no email.

I had an interview this week for a new office. No idea how I did, but I think it went decently. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a Miami panel coming up.

I just heard a rumor that Florida C&F is insane.


I have bad credit, mostly from many years ago, but I've also missed some payments while in law school. Also had a lien put on my house from the HOA because I left my garbage can out. Didn't bother to fight it in court, too busy at school.

Anybody know if this will fuck me on C&F in Florida?


Shouldn't keep you out, but might make the process more difficult. A lot of it is up to the discretion of the individual examiner who looks at your application, but based on that you're still eligible under the Florida rules so it's just a matter of proving to them that you're currently fit. Worst case you have to get a lawyer to make that case for you, but I think the situations where that is necessary are rare.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Jessuf wrote:I got a snail mail rejection from BDS today too, but I was expecting that because the interviewer hated me. I guess I can assume Miami is a rejection too since it's been way more than a week and no email.

I had an interview this week for a new office. No idea how I did, but I think it went decently. Fingers crossed!


Good luck!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Jessuf wrote:I got a snail mail rejection from BDS today too, but I was expecting that because the interviewer hated me. I guess I can assume Miami is a rejection too since it's been way more than a week and no email.

I had an interview this week for a new office. No idea how I did, but I think it went decently. Fingers crossed!


Good luck! And re: Miami ... They can be real slow to get back to you. I wouldn't give up yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Jessuf wrote:I got a snail mail rejection from BDS today too, but I was expecting that because the interviewer hated me. I guess I can assume Miami is a rejection too since it's been way more than a week and no email.

I had an interview this week for a new office. No idea how I did, but I think it went decently. Fingers crossed!

Did you apply to Philly?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Fuck any rejections from Philly? I want this one so bad!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck any rejections from Philly? I want this one so bad!


They're closed until Tuesday, so don't expect any news for a while.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 pm

I have my tenth or eleventh interview coming up, but nothing has come through yet. Starting to exhaust all my resources and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this (financial wise). Something come through please. Hoping I'm not defective.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have my tenth or eleventh interview coming up, but nothing has come through yet. Starting to exhaust all my resources and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this (financial wise). Something come through please. Hoping I'm not defective.


I feel the EXACT same way (I'm 0/9), so I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. I think we just have to keep a positive attitude and keep applying. Financially it is hard. I'm so frustrated by places interviewing hundreds of people for a few spots, but it's not like we can pass up interviews just because the odds are bad. Keep your head up!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 am

Has anyone who's interviewed for a first round with LAS since January heard about a second round? And has LAS outright rejected anyone? I know they've apparently been moving slowly and interviewing a ton of people, but wondering if any people in the sort of late group have gotten anywhere.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:29 am

Applying for my local PDs office today. Interview in the next two weeks. They are my final backup shot.

Man... I'd Kill for someone to just hurry up and give me a job. I'm starting to get pretty worried.

ETA: still in the running for two non-local PDs... But with the bloodbath this year has been for all of us, you can't help but worry. These three interviews I still have are out of 14 applications. Man....

ETAx2: actually, we all still have shots at semi-local PDs that hire post bar. So it isn't over for anyone really.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck any rejections from Philly? I want this one so bad!


They're closed until Tuesday, so don't expect any news for a while.


I have a second round w/ them Tuesday and I will try to get some info for everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck any rejections from Philly? I want this one so bad!


They're closed until Tuesday, so don't expect any news for a while.


I have a second round w/ them Tuesday and I will try to get some info for everyone!


Is second round the panel or have you already had the panel? I just had my panel last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck any rejections from Philly? I want this one so bad!


They're closed until Tuesday, so don't expect any news for a while.


I have a second round w/ them Tuesday and I will try to get some info for everyone!


Is second round the panel or have you already had the panel? I just had my panel last week.


Second round is meeting with the head PD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who's interviewed for a first round with LAS since January heard about a second round? And has LAS outright rejected anyone? I know they've apparently been moving slowly and interviewing a ton of people, but wondering if any people in the sort of late group have gotten anywhere.


I have a friend that interviewed in.. December, panel and she had a third round at the end of Jan. I believe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Philly. So if we had a panel in late January and haven't heard back we are basically done?

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby seatown12 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have my tenth or eleventh interview coming up, but nothing has come through yet. Starting to exhaust all my resources and I'm not sure how much longer I can do this (financial wise). Something come through please. Hoping I'm not defective.

I feel the EXACT same way (I'm 0/9), so I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. I think we just have to keep a positive attitude and keep applying. Financially it is hard. I'm so frustrated by places interviewing hundreds of people for a few spots, but it's not like we can pass up interviews just because the odds are bad. Keep your head up!!


I graduated in 2012 and posted a lot in the PD gunner forum back then. I went to law school to be a PD and did multiple internships, clinic, etc., but I ended up unemployed at graduation. I felt exactly the same way after doing so many interviews and not getting anything. I kept applying until months later, when I was about to run out of resources and was on the verge of giving up, I finally got hired to be a PD.

It's a frustrating process, but you've got to just keep going. Have confidence in yourself and the work you've done to this point. Do what you have to do to get by financially but don't give up on your goal of becoming a PD. My situation is proof that things can work out in the end even when it seems hopeless.

Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Interview fair with KY coming up, what should I expect?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview fair with KY coming up, what should I expect?


At EJW it was just chatting for me. No hypos or anything. Apparently in May if the offices I chose like the look of my résumé, cover letter, and whatever notes were taken during my interview, they'll call. Unknown if that means another round with hypos or whatever.

Frankly, I hope somebody has already hired me by then. If I was going to move to rural Kentucky, I would've liked some time to prep. As is, they are now my emergency backup.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who's interviewed for a first round with LAS since January heard about a second round? And has LAS outright rejected anyone? I know they've apparently been moving slowly and interviewing a ton of people, but wondering if any people in the sort of late group have gotten anywhere.


I have a friend that interviewed in.. December, panel and she had a third round at the end of Jan. I believe.


Hmm. Yeah, I think that's in the group before my interview. I remember hearing people notified of second rounds via phone call about a week or two before my first round. Thank you, though. LAS is both my first choice and now my last shot at New York, where I want to return, but it's looking like a really long shot.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.