3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 am

Question for someone who has done the Philly interview - what was the timeline for when they would notify us about a second round interview? The end of the interview was a blur...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:22 pm

What is the best way to leverage position offers when waiting on an office to make up their mind? Has anyone had any luck in doing this..or was this type of email not well received?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best way to leverage position offers when waiting on an office to make up their mind? Has anyone had any luck in doing this..or was this type of email not well received?

I made sure to mention it in the interview, letting the office know that the office I was currently interviewing at was my first choice. I tried not to mention names of the places where I received offers unless they asked, which they probably will. It's worked each time. I think it also depends on the office that has given you the offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 am

Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?


Several people answered both of these in the last 20 pages. Miami is, I believe, a few hypos for most round ones, though some have reported round 1 involved trial and ethics hypos, including witness examination, openings, and closings. Again, just goin off what I've read in the thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am

Can anyone give me an idea of how long the Philly interview was? I'm trying to book travel back home and just wanted to get an idea of how much time I should give myself.
Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 am

Mine was a little over 2 hours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?


Several people answered both of these in the last 20 pages. Miami is, I believe, a few hypos for most round ones, though some have reported round 1 involved trial and ethics hypos, including witness examination, openings, and closings. Again, just goin off what I've read in the thread.


Agree on Miami - I interviewed with them at EJW, and I had some trial and ethics hypos. No openings/closings/witness direct or cross. Also, I got rejected, so I guess don't do whatever I did? Eh.

I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?


Several people answered both of these in the last 20 pages. Miami is, I believe, a few hypos for most round ones, though some have reported round 1 involved trial and ethics hypos, including witness examination, openings, and closings. Again, just goin off what I've read in the thread.


Agree on Miami - I interviewed with them at EJW, and I had some trial and ethics hypos. No openings/closings/witness direct or cross. Also, I got rejected, so I guess don't do whatever I did? Eh.

I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.


I interviewed with BDS at EJW. It was a few "getting-to-know-you" type questions like why you want to be a pd, etc. and then it was a client interview and bail simulation. Got rejected so I guess my bail argument wasn't very good haha.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.


I interviewed with BDS at EJW. It was a few "getting-to-know-you" type questions like why you want to be a pd, etc. and then it was a client interview and bail simulation. Got rejected so I guess my bail argument wasn't very good haha.


Obviously a very thorough interview. I'm still waiting to learn these interview techniques that let you know whether someone is worth rejecting based on their split-second response to irrelevant hypotheticals before they've been trained in the office's specific style and ethic. Only the best candidates know how to avoid stepping on landmines they can't see, right?

God so many of the interviews I did this past year were like that one -- i.e., a total waste of time for everyone involved. Most of the people who conduct that style of interview would fail their own interview and get rejected by themselves if they were basing aptitude off the perceived personality of an interview subject during a five-minute play-simulation in the middle of a hotel ballroom filled with hundreds of other people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?


Several people answered both of these in the last 20 pages. Miami is, I believe, a few hypos for most round ones, though some have reported round 1 involved trial and ethics hypos, including witness examination, openings, and closings. Again, just goin off what I've read in the thread.


Agree on Miami - I interviewed with them at EJW, and I had some trial and ethics hypos. No openings/closings/witness direct or cross. Also, I got rejected, so I guess don't do whatever I did? Eh.

I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.

Is it the GULC/GWU fair? I'm interviewing with them there too. :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for someone who has done the Philly interview - what was the timeline for when they would notify us about a second round interview? The end of the interview was a blur...


Beginning of March

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for someone who has done the Philly interview - what was the timeline for when they would notify us about a second round interview? The end of the interview was a blur...


Beginning of March


Anyone know if you can Skype the 2nd round. Another plane flight is going to start hurting the budget.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for someone who has done the Philly interview - what was the timeline for when they would notify us about a second round interview? The end of the interview was a blur...


Beginning of March


Anyone know if you can Skype the 2nd round. Another plane flight is going to start hurting the budget.


I'm inclined to say no only because that's the round where they really get to know you. They don't ask a lot about you in the first interview, so it's really about getting a feel for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone now what round 1 with Brooklyn Defender Svc. or Miami PD is like? Hypos, etc?


Several people answered both of these in the last 20 pages. Miami is, I believe, a few hypos for most round ones, though some have reported round 1 involved trial and ethics hypos, including witness examination, openings, and closings. Again, just goin off what I've read in the thread.


Agree on Miami - I interviewed with them at EJW, and I had some trial and ethics hypos. No openings/closings/witness direct or cross. Also, I got rejected, so I guess don't do whatever I did? Eh.

I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.

Is it the GULC/GWU fair? I'm interviewing with them there too. :)


Maaaaaybe? :D I was pleasantly surprised to see they were coming because I thought they might have finished at least with first rounds, and my direct application that I sent months ago received no response at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.[/quote]
Is it the GULC/GWU fair? I'm interviewing with them there too. :)[/quote]

Maaaaaybe? :D I was pleasantly surprised to see they were coming because I thought they might have finished at least with first rounds, and my direct application that I sent months ago received no response at all.[/quote]

My first round interview with BDS was at EJW. I ended up getting a bail simulation with a curveball. Facts were thrown at me quickly, in sum: defendant was arrested for assault of a police officer and had a prior attempted assault on his wife. I argued for ROR and the judge (interviewer #2) threw me a curveball saying his prior involved an officer -- the wife was a correctional officer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My first round interview with BDS was at EJW. I ended up getting a bail simulation with a curveball. Facts were thrown at me quickly, in sum: defendant was arrested for assault of a police officer and had a prior attempted assault on his wife. I argued for ROR and the judge (interviewer #2) threw me a curveball saying his prior involved an officer -- the wife was a correctional officer.

Thanks for the info! Bail simulation is way less scary than preparing an opening or closing during a 30 min interview. I am pretty familiar with DC law related to arraignment but will look up NY law to look for any glaring differences so I don't fuck anything up.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it the GULC/GWU fair? I'm interviewing with them there too. :)


Maaaaaybe? :D I was pleasantly surprised to see they were coming because I thought they might have finished at least with first rounds, and my direct application that I sent months ago received no response at all.

I thought so too, plus I was already rejected through EJW. I'm assuming there's waaaaay less competition at this careerfair though. A lot of my PD-minded friends already have offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:45 am

Received an offer from Palm Beach earlier today!!! This forum has been very helpful; wishing you all the best of luck! Keep fighting the good fight.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:47 pm

My Miami PD interview was trial hypos, cross and closing. I completely failed. :cry:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My Miami PD interview was trial hypos, cross and closing. I completely failed. :cry:

I did even worse on my BDS interview. The lady ended it after 10 mins. I like how everything I'm taught in my clinic is apparently the wrong way to do things.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from Palm Beach earlier today!!! This forum has been very helpful; wishing you all the best of luck! Keep fighting the good fight.


Congrats!!! May I ask when your interview was?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from Palm Beach earlier today!!! This forum has been very helpful; wishing you all the best of luck! Keep fighting the good fight.


Congrats!!! May I ask when your interview was?


Thank you!! My interview at the office was 12/19. Best of luck!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My Miami PD interview was trial hypos, cross and closing. I completely failed. :cry:


That's what I thought after mine... And they invited me back for a 2nd/3rd round afterwards. So don't totally give up hope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My Miami PD interview was trial hypos, cross and closing. I completely failed. :cry:


That's what I thought after mine... And they invited me back for a 2nd/3rd round afterwards. So don't totally give up hope.


And on the flip side, I thought it was my best interview at EJW and they rejected me. These things are hard to read.
I feel like I've botched my last two interviews too, but in the end it's hard to tell how you really come across and what they're looking for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to hear more about BDS, though. I have a job fair first round with them coming up, and after reading back in this post it's not clear to me if they do a on-the-spot hypo or a bail simulation or what for these half-hour types of screeners.
ETA: To clarify, I was seeing conflicting info, with some saying first round was bail simulation and others saying that's not until second round. Also, I'm sure some people interviewed with them directly at BDS instead of a job fair, and that would make a difference probably in what they're expected to do for an interview.

Is it the GULC/GWU fair? I'm interviewing with them there too. :)[/quote]

Maaaaaybe? :D I was pleasantly surprised to see they were coming because I thought they might have finished at least with first rounds, and my direct application that I sent months ago received no response at all.[/quote]

My first round interview with BDS was at EJW. I ended up getting a bail simulation with a curveball. Facts were thrown at me quickly, in sum: defendant was arrested for assault of a police officer and had a prior attempted assault on his wife. I argued for ROR and the judge (interviewer #2) threw me a curveball saying his prior involved an officer -- the wife was a correctional officer.[/quote]

FWIW it's worth, and this is coming from a fulltime PD in NYC, know that NY bail law does not recognize public safety as a bail factor, only defendant's likelihood of coming back to court. So, if they try something like saying this is a cop assault case, your client's prior case was with his wife who was a CO, you can point out that as the court is aware, the purpose of bail in NY State is to ensure a defendant's return to court (not danger to the community) and your honor can be sure client will return for x,y,z reason.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.