3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:How did you hear abt alameda?

I called Lindsay, informed her of my offer, and she called me back and informed me that I was not selected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:52 pm

did anyone hear about any employment offers from LAS yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Has anyone heard from San Diego yet? I did my first interview with them monthssss ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Has anyone else heard from Contra Costa?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else heard from Contra Costa?

Same person here. For the record, I was told that all 2014-2015 Contra Costa law clerk positions have been filled and confirmed. Sorry bud. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Has anyone had trouble and/or success scheduling an interview with Philly? Have not been able to get in contact with anyone for two days

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had trouble and/or success scheduling an interview with Philly? Have not been able to get in contact with anyone for two days

Keep calling- they are very casual and hard to contact. It took me a couple of tries.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:09 pm

My school is having a PI fair, and some PD offices are coming to interview 3Ls. I submitted my app and got 0 interviews and 0 alternate invitations, including for states I have strong ties to (if that even matters). I'd estimate there are probably 25 interview slots and 15 alternate slots, so this is getting depressing. Having trials through my PD clinic, taking tons of crim-related classes, and having a pretty prestigious PD office on my resume is doing 0 things for me so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 pm

interview offer with west palm beach via email today. will be declining since I already accepted another offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interview offer with west palm beach via email today. will be declining since I already accepted another offer.

For first round? I thought they were done with interviews..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:interview offer with west palm beach via email today. will be declining since I already accepted another offer.

also got a first round interview request from west palm today. applied directly (not through ejw).

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also got a first round interview request from west palm today. applied directly (not through ejw).

The second stage of PD hiring is going into full swing. By now many applicants have been given time-sensitive offers, which many of them have accepted, thus removing a substantial number of competitors from application pools all over the country. Good on Palm Beach for being so quick to extend extra interviews.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Can someone who interviewed with BDS PM me please

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Jess, have you talked to anyone you work(ed) with about putting you in touch with someone at a PD's office? Cut out the middleman if you can. I got an AUSA I worked with over the summer to put me in touch with someone from the manhattan DA. I dunno if I would've gotten an interview just sending in a cover letter and resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

does anyone know anything about LAS hiring? Someone told me they were early offering the end of this week, but I have not heard a peep (which makes me very nervous). It seems strange that all of these other PD offices are making offers, but not Legal Aid.

Any help would be welcome!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know anything about LAS hiring? Someone told me they were early offering the end of this week, but I have not heard a peep (which makes me very nervous). It seems strange that all of these other PD offices are making offers, but not Legal Aid.

Any help would be welcome!

Honestly it doesn't seem like that many pd offices are sending out offers. I think this year has just been exceptionally good for people finding out early. Legal Aid was always kind of notorious for taking forever to let people know but it seems like they are trying to be better this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Can we make a compilation list of all offices who have given offers out? NJ,NH, and CO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I know of people with offers from Bronx Defenders, Miami, and West Palm

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Alameda, Contra Costa and Hennepin have all made offers. Contra Costa has filled its Fall 2014 class. The Georgetown Prettymen has also made at least some offers. The Kentucky office that was at EJW, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:14 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?

I scheduled mine for later this month. The only thing I know at the moment is that it's expected to last like two hours or something and it involves a panel. I suspect they give you a hypo when you get there, but I don't know for sure.

They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?

I scheduled mine for later this month. The only thing I know at the moment is that it's expected to last like two hours or something and it involves a panel. I suspect they give you a hypo when you get there, but I don't know for sure.

They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

So, I was slightly nervous before, but now more so. Then again, this is more or less the way it goes in the real world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

So, I was slightly nervous before, but now more so. Then again, this is more or less the way it goes in the real world.

Look at it this way - its an opportunity to distinguish yourself from other applicants that other offices don't give you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They'll give you a folder with a fact pattern and some relevant legal authority. You'll have a few minutes to prep, and then some attorneys will come in and play different roles - one will be a witness, one a prosecutor, one a judge, etc. You'll act out different parts of the case, possibly including client interview, pretrial motions, and the actual trial itself.

Look at it this way - its an opportunity to distinguish yourself from other applicants that other offices don't give you.

That's true! So, how many rounds do they usually do, considering that the first round is fairly intense?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's true! So, how many rounds do they usually do, considering that the first round is fairly intense?

Just two rounds. The second round is a meeting with two higher ups, and is more about who you are and how you fit with the office than what you can or can't do in the courtroom.

Return to “Legal Employment”