3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 pm

I have a first-round interview with LAS coming up later this month - was notified by email around Christmas. Though I did a brief table talk with LAS at EJW, I still think this is a first round, but it seems kind of intense compared to some other first interviews. There's a hypothetical on which I have to give a summation (a closing argument, I guess), and I'm not clear on whether this is a panel or a one-on-one. Any information on this would be helpful.

Also got an interview with Philly, which is definitely a panel interview, and which I was told may last about two hours and seems may also involve a hypo, though one they give you on the spot, with a little time to look it over and prepare. Any insight on how this works also appreciated. (Also, I have no ties to Philly, since someone was asking earlier in the thread).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Screener at Miami. Any tips? Do they like to throw hypos at you during the screeners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screener at Miami. Any tips? Do they like to throw hypos at you during the screeners?

Yes. Simple hypos. Ethics and basic crim pro.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 am

Anyone have any insight in to where the Maryland PD is with their post grad class. Interviewed at EJW, submitted an app, and have heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, just weighing in to ease some concerns wrt LAS.
I did the early app last year, interviewed with a panel in Dec and had my Tina interview in Jan. Didn't hear anything until April, when they started checking my contacts. Got an offer on April 29, the day before the NY bar deadline. LAS hired two classes this past year - one in November 2013 and one in Feb 2014. They hired approx 80 ppl total.
Definitely stay in contact with the folks who interviewed you at the panel and try to make a great connection with one of them who will really pull for you when the decisions are made. Tina will call you with an offer. All other contact is via email.
Best of luck and hope to be working with some of you soon!! It's tough out there but let your passion shine through.

Thank you for this, whoever you are! LAS already contacted my references already, so I am only afraid it is too early in the process for that. Your insight is really appreciated!

Also- to everyone else with LAS concernsI did e-mail the woman who set up all of my interviews. She said that this year is really no difference than last year. Early hires find out sometime in January and another class finds out in April. I hope this helps with some of the confusion.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For people with Philly interviews do you have ties? Not from the area but was gunning for them, no interview request. Also I know some had heard about scheduling firs rounds with LAS recently has anyone heard about scheduling a second round recently? Interviewed in October and was supposed to hear back early December but asked the scheduler about it two weeks ago and still said processing my application. Anyone who interviewed in NH in December hear back yet?

I just received a Philly interview--no ties.

I know that the LAS hiring committee is meeting on Jan. 7 and will notify people about 2nd and 3rd rounds after that date. I interviewed in December (first round).

I interviewed in NH in December. Received an offer.

I accepted a different offer and pulled out of all of the above processes. Hope that frees up some space! Good luck everyone!

When in December did you interview? Where did you finally accept?

I interviewed December 12th. I accepted an offer with Palm Beach.

Can you PM me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Philly interview..fuckin spam folder no ties

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm

CSKNJ wrote:Anyone have any insight in to where the Maryland PD is with their post grad class. Interviewed at EJW, submitted an app, and have heard nothing.

I didn't think they hire pre-bar

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CSKNJ wrote:Anyone have any insight in to where the Maryland PD is with their post grad class. Interviewed at EJW, submitted an app, and have heard nothing.

I didn't think they hire pre-bar

If he interviewed at EJW he already took the bar

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Wouldn't it be more awkward to show up and have them remember you and be like "hey, didn't we reject you already?" I say tell them what's up. It shows you aren't giving up and avoids embarrassment if they really don't want to give you a second chance.

IMO, of course.

Good point. I think the second round is more like a panel, but I don't know details. I don't have anything to lose if I try.

Round 2 was a hypo, with closing and cross. And chatting. Of course, I'm not real clear on the rounds, tbh. But round 3 is the panel with a bunch of PDs if I understand correctly.

Good luck!

So, update - I got an email nearly identical to one I received in October before my first interview asking about whether I met certain requirements. I answered the question and mentioned that I'm actually requesting a second shot at a second-round interview. So, yeah, awkward. I'll find out if I get an interview next week, but I'm thinking it probably didn't work. Oh well - it was worth a shot!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 pm

legal aid 2nd round via phone call today. so this puts me as one of what, 100 people for 15 spots? ugghhhh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 pm

So apparently alameda has started sending out offers. Didn't get one so I guess I'm out. Ughhhh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So apparently alameda has started sending out offers. Didn't get one so I guess I'm out. Ughhhh

Dang it for me, also. Thanks for sharing.

Have any details regarding whether it's a call or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For people with Philly interviews do you have ties? Not from the area but was gunning for them, no interview request. Also I know some had heard about scheduling firs rounds with LAS recently has anyone heard about scheduling a second round recently? Interviewed in October and was supposed to hear back early December but asked the scheduler about it two weeks ago and still said processing my application. Anyone who interviewed in NH in December hear back yet?

I just received a Philly interview--no ties.

I know that the LAS hiring committee is meeting on Jan. 7 and will notify people about 2nd and 3rd rounds after that date. I interviewed in December (first round).

I accepted a different offer and pulled out of all of the above processes. Hope that frees up some space! Good luck everyone!

When was your interview with palm beach and did you also interview at EJW? I had my final round interview and have no idea when to expect to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Not sure. I might email my interviewer today to check in. Ughhhh I really wanted this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Does anyone know if bronx is totally done making its offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When was your interview with palm beach and did you also interview at EJW? I had my final round interview and have no idea when to expect to hear back.

Dec. 20; Yes; When I asked IN the interview, they told me towards the end of this month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:legal aid 2nd round via phone call today. so this puts me as one of what, 100 people for 15 spots? ugghhhh

I haven't even had my first round, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was selected for one recently, so maybe it's more like 150 for 15 spots? (double ugghhhh and a waahhh)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 pm

For LAS by 2nd round to you mean panel or final interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:legal aid 2nd round via phone call today. so this puts me as one of what, 100 people for 15 spots? ugghhhh

I haven't even had my first round, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was selected for one recently, so maybe it's more like 150 for 15 spots? (double ugghhhh and a waahhh)

Had my interview in November, have not heard back yet… if I haven't gotten a call yet is it likely I'm out? I called a few weeks ago and was told my application is still under review. Had positive feedback from interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Had my interview in November, have not heard back yet… if I haven't gotten a call yet is it likely I'm out? I called a few weeks ago and was told my application is still under review. Had positive feedback from interviewers.

no! you are not out! There are still many people being interviewed. They are hiring an early class in January and the rest in April. That's what I was told by the scheduler- so they are conducting interviews and making decisions all the way until April. Disregard anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

no! you are not out! There are still many people being interviewed. They are hiring an early class in January and the rest in April. That's what I was told by the scheduler- so they are conducting interviews and making decisions all the way until April. Disregard anything else.

Even if my panel was in November? This makes me happy, although my interviewer previously told me early December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Even if my panel was in November? This makes me happy, although my interviewer previously told me early December.[/quote]

Tina herself told me I would hear back about actual EMPLOYMENT mid- December. I can PM you the e-mail from the coordinator if you want, but yeah, she told me it was the normal Jan/April hiring hulabaloo. I am VERY nervous that people are getting calls though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Even if my panel was in November? This makes me happy, although my interviewer previously told me early December.

Tina herself told me I would hear back about actual EMPLOYMENT mid- December. I can PM you the e-mail from the coordinator if you want, but yeah, she told me it was the normal Jan/April hiring hulabaloo. I am VERY nervous that people are getting calls though.[/quote]
See I haven't had my Tina interview yet. Maybe I will email my interviewer again and ask her? She said if I ever needed help I could just ask so maybe I'll do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tina herself told me I would hear back about actual EMPLOYMENT mid- December. I can PM you the e-mail from the coordinator if you want, but yeah, she told me it was the normal Jan/April hiring hulabaloo. I am VERY nervous that people are getting calls though.

Do you mean that you know for sure that people ARE receiving calls (that is, offers), or you're just worried that that MIGHT be happening?

Return to “Legal Employment”