3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would first e-mail the person who scheduled your interview to ask for an update- it's the holidays, etc. people run behind. Additionally, they were in the middle of negotiating contracts and I found out they just finished and have a new contract- so that could be the reason for the delay. Everytime I have e-mailed Tina I never hear back, but when I got through the people that scheduled me I have much better luck figuring out what's going on!

Sorry, is this the anon who works at LAS? So your sense is that for an update we ought to email the person who scheduled our interview (not the interviewers themselves, nor Tina)?

Also, I've heard that LAS will sometimes drag their feet on making offers but responds more quickly if you notify them that you've received another offer and have to decide soon. If that's true, is it only true after you've had a Tina interview, or before the Tina interview as well? FWIW, I thought my panel interview went very well. One of my interviewers told me in person and by email that they hope LAS hires me. But that was two months ago, and it's been crickets since then.

Me too, my interviewer specifically stated she was really excited that I could be working with her and hopes to be my future colleague, but i haven't heard back. I was told the last hiring committee meeting was december 9th so idk, maybe I'll email the scheduler.

Also for the LAS intern, how long did it take to hear back from your panel interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Pretty sure I just had the worst interview ever. Got into an accident on the way there and showed up late then I only had ten minutes to prepare the hypo. Fucked up on a question and it was obvious. I'm a fucking moron. This was my number one place too which sucks even more… I probably just lost all my chances at getting hired pre-bar ever

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 pm

did you at least tell them about the accident? I'd like to think that they'd really respect that you showed up and did their hypo even after being so rattled

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:37 pm

FlanAl wrote:did you at least tell them about the accident? I'd like to think that they'd really respect that you showed up and did their hypo even after being so rattled

I did and they were so nice about it and fit me into their schedule that day. Hopefully they will consider that but they gave me some flack about me saying I'd let the guy testify so who knows. Plus my opening was totally on the fly. Ugh. I'm wondering if I should email my interviewers and apologize for my haphazardness

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:53 pm

How bad was the accident? I'd definitely email them and thank them for the interview etc. and just thank them again for being understanding and accommodating you. I'm sure it was fine, they like to give people shit for all kinds of stuff just to see how'd they'd react.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Has anyone received an interview from TDA philly, or has everyone just received the one or two emails confirming the app and describing their process?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby FlanAl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:05 pm

All I ever got was the app confirmation, about a month ago.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an interview from TDA philly, or has everyone just received the one or two emails confirming the app and describing their process?


Nope, nothing but those two e-mails. Anyone know how many people they're looking to hire or usually hire for entry-level postgrad? I would imagine that among those who get an interview at least a few would be on TLS, so I guess they're running behind. Or they're going to accept a bunch of people for interviews all at once before Dec. 31.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Lawst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an interview from TDA philly, or has everyone just received the one or two emails confirming the app and describing their process?


Nope, nothing but those two e-mails. Anyone know how many people they're looking to hire or usually hire for entry-level postgrad? I would imagine that among those who get an interview at least a few would be on TLS, so I guess they're running behind. Or they're going to accept a bunch of people for interviews all at once before Dec. 31.

They've got to be running behind. They're going to lose a lot of great people to these other places that will be making decisions in January.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Does anyone know how long the Palm Beach panel interviews are?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long the Palm Beach panel interviews are?

One hour, give or take.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would first e-mail the person who scheduled your interview to ask for an update- it's the holidays, etc. people run behind. Additionally, they were in the middle of negotiating contracts and I found out they just finished and have a new contract- so that could be the reason for the delay. Everytime I have e-mailed Tina I never hear back, but when I got through the people that scheduled me I have much better luck figuring out what's going on!

Sorry, is this the anon who works at LAS? So your sense is that for an update we ought to email the person who scheduled our interview (not the interviewers themselves, nor Tina)?

Also, I've heard that LAS will sometimes drag their feet on making offers but responds more quickly if you notify them that you've received another offer and have to decide soon. If that's true, is it only true after you've had a Tina interview, or before the Tina interview as well? FWIW, I thought my panel interview went very well. One of my interviewers told me in person and by email that they hope LAS hires me. But that was two months ago, and it's been crickets since then.

Me too, my interviewer specifically stated she was really excited that I could be working with her and hopes to be my future colleague, but i haven't heard back. I was told the last hiring committee meeting was december 9th so idk, maybe I'll email the scheduler.

Also for the LAS intern, how long did it take to hear back from your panel interview.


let's see... panel was in mid- August and I heard about my final interview late September and my actual interview was late October. It takes them awhile I think- I was supposed to hear about a job "mid" December, but I haven't heard anything. I'm going to e-mail the scheduler after Christmas, I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Is anyone else feeling down and out about this whole interview process? I keep hearing things like the top candidates get picked first etc... I'm starting to doubt my skills and experience ( 4 pd internships/clinic) with all of these rejections staying positive is hard. How are you guys doing it? I've been asking for advice from my cso and trusted profs or supervisors but everyone is giving me positive feedback. This break I'm going to try to reframe things but it's hard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else feeling down and out about this whole interview process? I keep hearing things like the top candidates get picked first etc... I'm starting to doubt my skills and experience ( 4 pd internships/clinic) with all of these rejections staying positive is hard. How are you guys doing it? I've been asking for advice from my cso and trusted profs or supervisors but everyone is giving me positive feedback. This break I'm going to try to reframe things but it's hard.


YES. I'm not even getting rejections yet and I'm feeling down. I've sent out dozens of applications, and just haven't heard back from most places. I guess I'm glad I didn't get a bunch of rejections right before christmas, but it sucks not knowing where I'll be next year. Here's to feeling shitty and restless until we finally find jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else feeling down and out about this whole interview process? I keep hearing things like the top candidates get picked first etc... I'm starting to doubt my skills and experience ( 4 pd internships/clinic) with all of these rejections staying positive is hard. How are you guys doing it? I've been asking for advice from my cso and trusted profs or supervisors but everyone is giving me positive feedback. This break I'm going to try to reframe things but it's hard.


YES. I'm not even getting rejections yet and I'm feeling down. I've sent out dozens of applications, and just haven't heard back from most places. I guess I'm glad I didn't get a bunch of rejections right before christmas, but it sucks not knowing where I'll be next year. Here's to feeling shitty and restless until we finally find jobs.

Yeah at least you still have hope I recently just had three rejections in a row. It is really making me feel like I am not doing what I'm supposed to be doing or in doing something wrong. I've been given positive feedback in interviews but I am not getting offers so I have no idea. Maybe they're being nice. I don't really have a plan B so I am not sure what I'm going to do if nothing comes through.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else feeling down and out about this whole interview process? I keep hearing things like the top candidates get picked first etc... I'm starting to doubt my skills and experience ( 4 pd internships/clinic) with all of these rejections staying positive is hard. How are you guys doing it? I've been asking for advice from my cso and trusted profs or supervisors but everyone is giving me positive feedback. This break I'm going to try to reframe things but it's hard.


YES. I'm not even getting rejections yet and I'm feeling down. I've sent out dozens of applications, and just haven't heard back from most places. I guess I'm glad I didn't get a bunch of rejections right before christmas, but it sucks not knowing where I'll be next year. Here's to feeling shitty and restless until we finally find jobs.

Yeah at least you still have hope I recently just had three rejections in a row. It is really making me feel like I am not doing what I'm supposed to be doing or in doing something wrong. I've been given positive feedback in interviews but I am not getting offers so I have no idea. Maybe they're being nice. I don't really have a plan B so I am not sure what I'm going to do if nothing comes through.


You're gonna take the bar and apply to smaller offices that don't hire pre-bar. It's gonna be scary as hell and IT SUCKS but you gotta hang in there!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Heard a rumor that Miami may be doing a panel in March. You may receive word soon if youve been waiting. Just FYI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 am

Got a first-round interview with LAS, so it seems they are going through applications again. I'm really psyched because it's my first choice and I thought they passed me over completely.

Also, are Miami's 2nd round interviews a lot different from 1st round? I did a 1st round interview with them at EJW, got the sort of soft rejection letter (we'll keep in our file or something like that). They're coming to a regional job fair early next year, and I'm wondering if I should bid for an interview, explaining that I'm requesting reconsideration for a 2nd round, or is that just super awkward for all involved?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 am

Wouldn't it be more awkward to show up and have them remember you and be like "hey, didn't we reject you already?" I say tell them what's up. It shows you aren't giving up and avoids embarrassment if they really don't want to give you a second chance.

IMO, of course.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Just got an interview with Philly

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 pm

It appears from what a classmate put up on Facebook that Philly may be contacting for interviews. Just FYI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Anyone know how Pima County PD hires? Not UA but Spanish speaking with strong Tucson ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It appears from what a classmate put up on Facebook that Philly may be contacting for interviews. Just FYI.
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an interview with Philly


Anonymous User wrote:Just got an interview with Philly


How are they notifying people?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an interview with Philly


How are they notifying people?

By email for me.
-different anon

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an interview with Philly


How are they notifying people?

By email for me.
-different anon


+1




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.