3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Has anyone done the panel interview with New Hampshire before? I kinda have no idea what it entails and any just general info about it would be awesome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 am

Got a rejection letter from BDS in the mail…interviewed with them at EJW Fair

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 am

Has anyone heard from Alameda County PD in California about post-bar positions?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Alameda County PD in California about post-bar positions?


Nothing yet. Really hoping we hear back by December 1st because I have a bunch of other interviews I'd rather not pay travel costs for if I can avoid it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm

How about San Diego PD? Any news?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Has anyone heard back from Colorado PD that didn't get an interview via EJW?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a rejection letter from BDS in the mail…interviewed with them at EJW Fair

Ouch where are you located?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 pm

It's been about three weeks since my first round at LAS, has anyone contacted Toni to see if they made it to the second round. Wondering if I should call.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:10 pm

If grades have ever come up for anyone how have you dealt with having a low overall GPA. I've only gotten a grade for one upper level writing class and I Cali'd it so my thought was to talk about how I stink on law school exams and that for whatever reason I just don't get whats required. My other thought was to discuss that although I'm at a highly ranked school and went to a good undergrad I am really not that academic. The thought of appeals work terrifies me as well as big law researching all day type stuff. Although I think being a PD takes smarts (which I guess I've demonstrated by going to good schools) its not an arena that requires an academic mind or whatever skill set law school exams require that I don't have.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a rejection letter from BDS in the mail…interviewed with them at EJW Fair

Ouch where are you located?


I thought my 1st round through OCI went horribly, but I have not gotten any rejection via mail or otherwise. Does this mean I'm still being considered or do they just reserve formal rejections for people who are not complete idiots in the interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If grades have ever come up for anyone how have you dealt with having a low overall GPA. I've only gotten a grade for one upper level writing class and I Cali'd it so my thought was to talk about how I stink on law school exams and that for whatever reason I just don't get whats required. My other thought was to discuss that although I'm at a highly ranked school and went to a good undergrad I am really not that academic. The thought of appeals work terrifies me as well as big law researching all day type stuff. Although I think being a PD takes smarts (which I guess I've demonstrated by going to good schools) its not an arena that requires an academic mind or whatever skill set law school exams require that I don't have.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.


Have you actually applied to any PD jobs? Not a single place has asked me for my transcripts, nor expressed any interest in my grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Yup, no one has asked me about them yet but I've got a 2nd round with NH who is apparently more grade centric. Having never had it brought up before I'm not sure how to deal with it.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Got letter from NJ telling me they will only consider my app after I take the NJ bar.


Lolno. Not taking the bar hundreds of miles away for a shot at a job, but thanks for nothing NJ.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Void » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:Got letter from NJ telling me they will only consider my app after I take the NJ bar.


Lolno. Not taking the bar hundreds of miles away for a shot at a job, but thanks for nothing NJ.


Yup-that's what happened to me. I wish they'd make that shit clearer before wasting people's time.

Shawshank33
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Shawshank33 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Philly PD sent out decline for first round interview

Shawshank33
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Shawshank33 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a rejection letter from BDS in the mail…interviewed with them at EJW Fair

Ouch where are you located?


Bummer! I didn't know they would be informing us via mail...I have been anxiously waiting for BDS and now I'm out of state and can't check my mail all week :-(

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby FlanAl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Shawshank33 wrote:Philly PD sent out decline for first round interview

via email?

Shawshank33
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Shawshank33 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:06 am

FlanAl wrote:
Shawshank33 wrote:Philly PD sent out decline for first round interview

via email?


Yes

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:17 am

Shawshank33 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Shawshank33 wrote:Philly PD sent out decline for first round interview

via email?


Yes


sorry man, thanks for the info though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Just heard back from Palm Beach PD, all interview selections have been made. They may have additional interviews at a later date, but they won't know until they are asked to schedule them.

Colorado - They are primarily interviewing their summer interns now and will focus on other applicants in January/Feb.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's been about three weeks since my first round at LAS, has anyone contacted Toni to see if they made it to the second round. Wondering if I should call.


I would wait. It took about a month and a half for me to hear back about my 2nd interview, and I know the hiring committee meets about once a month so perhaps they haven't met yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:45 pm

How long did it take from first interview with NHPD to get second round? I had my phone interview about a week ago and was wondering re:timeline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long did it take from first interview with NHPD to get second round? I had my phone interview about a week ago and was wondering re:timeline.

They seem to be rolling in at different times for different people. I know some people who got a second round interview two weeks after EJW, but I got a second round last week and also interviewed at EJW.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:12 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Shawshank33 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Shawshank33 wrote:Philly PD sent out decline for first round interview

via email?


Yes


sorry man, thanks for the info though.


If I haven't gotten one that's a good sign I would guess?

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:32 am

Philly said in its email when it acknowledged receipt of application that they would only notify if you're selected. So I'm not sure what to make of it. But sorry to hear, shawshank.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.