3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Request to interview with NHPD today. Cool because they blasted my ass last year for an internship.


EJW related or not?

ETA- also, anyone who interviewed or table talked Colorado at EJW hear back yet?

I interviewed with CO at EJW and have already had my second interview via Skype. A friend who interned there last summer and is having his interview this week told me they expect to send out offers in the first two weeks of January.


I also had a second interview via Skype w/CO a few weeks ago. My interviewer told me that they had not had the chance to interview too many people for post-grad positions yet because they are prioritizing their 2L paid internship interviews. My interviewer said that they were sending out offer letters end of January/mid-February.

kastane23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby kastane23 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 pm

So does that mean people who score a final interview with Tina may not get the job now?[/quote]

I don't know who perpetuated the myth of "interview with Tina = job" but I can assure you (unless every legitimate source I have, including two attorneys at LAS, my current boss at LAS and my career counselor is wrong) that is absolutely not the case. I wish it were the case, then my job hunt would be through!

They have told me that:

New this year- after your panel interview, your resume goes back to the hiring committee and they can cut you after the panel interview. Previously, it was just if you passed the panel, you were headed to Tina. Now, even if you pass the panel, you might not pass the hiring committee. Then you either get rejected or go to Tina or Seymour (it doesn't mean anything, just sometimes Seymour can take some interviews).

My sources differ on the after Tina interview- one of them says after Tina or Seymour, your file is done and those two make the ultimate decision. My other one says that those two will fill out a form (just like the panel did, only less detailed), stick it in your file and send it BACK to the committee. The committee will then winnow the pool down until they have their class. The second one makes more sense, but who knows.

I just want everyone here to be informed, so they apply to as many places as possible. Not that I want competition, but you all seem pretty passionate and like you would make good PDs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:24 pm

kastane23 wrote:So does that mean people who score a final interview with Tina may not get the job now?


I don't know who perpetuated the myth of "interview with Tina = job" but I can assure you (unless every legitimate source I have, including two attorneys at LAS, my current boss at LAS and my career counselor is wrong) that is absolutely not the case. I wish it were the case, then my job hunt would be through!

They have told me that:

New this year- after your panel interview, your resume goes back to the hiring committee and they can cut you after the panel interview. Previously, it was just if you passed the panel, you were headed to Tina. Now, even if you pass the panel, you might not pass the hiring committee. Then you either get rejected or go to Tina or Seymour (it doesn't mean anything, just sometimes Seymour can take some interviews).

My sources differ on the after Tina interview- one of them says after Tina or Seymour, your file is done and those two make the ultimate decision. My other one says that those two will fill out a form (just like the panel did, only less detailed), stick it in your file and send it BACK to the committee. The committee will then winnow the pool down until they have their class. The second one makes more sense, but who knows.

I just want everyone here to be informed, so they apply to as many places as possible. Not that I want competition, but you all seem pretty passionate and like you would make good PDs.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. How hard is it to "pass" the panel interview?

Also did you already have your interview with Tina?

kastane23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby kastane23 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 pm

honestly, I don't know how hard- I think, like everything else, it depends on who you get, the day and their respective moods.

I had my Tina interview at the end of October.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:27 pm

kastane23 wrote:honestly, I don't know how hard- I think, like everything else, it depends on who you get, the day and their respective moods.

I had my Tina interview at the end of October.

How long did it take you to hear back about interviewing with Tina. I have received really positive feedback from my interviewers but no word on second round yet...

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12499
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby jessuf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm not suggesting you try to hide this at all. What you are doing is better arranging your resume to emphasize the experience that is important to a public defender office. If they ask whether it's summer work, freely tell them the second internship is not.

My resume gives my summer internships by yearly date instead of specifying the "season," and it is written like that because an attorney who looked at my resume told me to do it that way. When they ask what part of the year it is supposed to reflect, I just tell them. This is what everyone does on their resume once they have been around in the real world. You leave the unimportant experience off. Just because you may have neglected to put McDonald's down on your resume doesn't mean you're lying about not working at McDonald's. You would obviously mention it if asked, but it's normally not a relevant thing to put on your resume for certain offices.


Currently a PD. My sense is the above advice is a bit off. I have not seen resumes sorted only by year before, and it might make me ask questions. There's so much competition that standing out in a bad way may not serve you, especially when offices can interview a limited number of people.

I see the point about highlighting only certain things. But I share some of above anon's warnings about leaving prosecution experience off entirely. You're going to have to hide it forever, potentially, because it's not just leaving "irrelevant" experience off--it's leaving off experience you have in putting people in jail / prison.

That's info that some offices would hold against you if they knew or found out. Without an explanation from you in advance, you may be sunk before you get in the pool.

Okay, thanks, good point, and thanks for the advice, everyone.

So is everyone saying that it is unethical/bad form to leave off any job whatsoever from a resume? What about leaving off non-PD (but non-prosecutor) internships? For example, spring of 2L year, I interned at a federal agency doing super boring administrative stuff that had zero things to do with litigation/criminal law. Right now, fall of 3L year, I am working at a legal office purely because I need money, and the work I do is boring and has 0 things to do with litigation/criminal law. Are these types of internships/jobs necessary to include?

For example, I'd like for my resume to look like this:

Legal Aid Org. - Nov 2011-April 2012
Fed. Dist. Ct. - May 2012-Aug 2012
Fed. Agency - Jan 2013-May 2013 (omitted)
Defense Clinic - May 2013-July 2013
Antitrust - June 2013-July 2013
Pros. Drug Trafficking - July 2013-Aug 2013
Defense Clinic - Aug 2013-May 2014
PD Office - Aug 2013-May 2014
Legal Office - Sept 2013-Dec 2013 (omitted)

However, if I have to keep the two internships/jobs I omitted above, I can. It's just more explaining to do one top of explaining how I worked at DOJ one summer, oops.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Jessuf wrote:Okay, thanks, good point, and thanks for the advice, everyone.

So is everyone saying that it is unethical/bad form to leave off any job whatsoever from a resume? What about leaving off non-PD (but non-prosecutor) internships? For example, spring of 2L year, I interned at a federal agency doing super boring administrative stuff that had zero things to do with litigation/criminal law. Right now, fall of 3L year, I am working at a legal office purely because I need money, and the work I do is boring and has 0 things to do with litigation/criminal law. Are these types of internships/jobs necessary to include?

For example, I'd like for my resume to look like this:

Legal Aid Org. - Nov 2011-April 2012
Fed. Dist. Ct. - May 2012-Aug 2012
Fed. Agency - Jan 2013-May 2013 (omitted)
Defense Clinic - May 2013-July 2013
Antitrust - June 2013-July 2013
Pros. Drug Trafficking - July 2013-Aug 2013
Defense Clinic - Aug 2013-May 2014
PD Office - Aug 2013-May 2014
Legal Office - Sept 2013-Dec 2013 (omitted)

However, if I have to keep the two internships/jobs I omitted above, I can. It's just more explaining to do one top of explaining how I worked at DOJ one summer, oops.


I'm the current PD who commented above. I think it's fine to leave off the things you're suggesting. You might even be able to leave off the DOJ internship, provided you mention it and explain what it taught you in your cover letter.

One other thought: having the clinic appear twice strikes me as a bit odd. I understand that it makes your resume look more defense heavy, but I wonder if you can condense into a single block. Just a thought--and if it downplays your experience too much, please disregard.

Also, how are you pulling off BOTH a clinic and an internship simultaneously? Whoa!

Also, how did you do the clinic during the summer, in addition to two internships?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12499
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby jessuf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One other thought: having the clinic appear twice strikes me as a bit odd. I understand that it makes your resume look more defense heavy, but I wonder if you can condense into a single block. Just a thought--and if it downplays your experience too much, please disregard.

It's two different clinics, so I separated them.

Anonymous User wrote:Also, how are you pulling off BOTH a clinic and an internship simultaneously? Whoa!

I also have another job with a law firm I'm doing right now that I forgot to put on there, but that one is work-from-home. I am both really efficient and also really suicidal.

Anonymous User wrote:Also, how did you do the clinic during the summer, in addition to two internships?

It was a condensed clinic, and it wasn't a trial clinic. It was also geared more towards part-time students, so I mostly had things to do afternoons, evenings, or weekends. My internships were good about letting me coming in super early so that I could leave early for my summer clinic. I signed up for it because after accepting the internships in Oct. 2012, I realized how much I didn't like the fields I would be interning in. I wanted to make sure to do something I actually enjoyed since I couldn't reneg on my summer jobs.

kastane23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby kastane23 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Re. Legal Aid 3rd round. I think it took a month. If you've been waiting more than two weeks then e-mail the woman that scheduled you for the first interview. It's what I did.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Just rejected by LAS. Had my first round interview the week of oct. 21.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Lawst » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just rejected by LAS. Had my first round interview the week of oct. 21.


Sorry to hear. :(

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:17 am

Lawst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just rejected by LAS. Had my first round interview the week of oct. 21.


Sorry to hear. :(

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Also, how are you pulling off BOTH a clinic and an internship simultaneously? Whoa!


When I was in LS I pulled off a clinic, internship, journal and mock trial all in the same semester. I basically hated my life every second of every day, but it can definitely be done.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:52 pm

For people with second rounds scheduled with Palm Beach, when are your interviews taking place? I applied directly (not through EJW), but just wondering what their timeline is. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people with second rounds scheduled with Palm Beach, when are your interviews taking place? I applied directly (not through EJW), but just wondering what their timeline is. Thanks!

When I received one last week they were offering interviews during the weeks of 12/9, 12/16, 1/6 and 1/13.

Shawshank33
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Shawshank33 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people with second rounds scheduled with Palm Beach, when are your interviews taking place? I applied directly (not through EJW), but just wondering what their timeline is. Thanks!


Second round interviews start December 9th and end January 16th

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Hennepin has started making calls.

Shawshank33
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Shawshank33 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Does anybody know when Miami plans to do their third round?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hennepin has started making calls.

Welp, I guess I officially struck out with all my interviews and so far most of my table talk sessions. EJW, I had so much hope, damn you.
But congrats to those who are getting follow-ups. It's not easy out there for any of us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:28 pm

anyone interview with maryland at ejw and hear back?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:59 am

Shawshank33 wrote:Does anybody know when Miami plans to do their third round?


First few weeks of December if I recall what he said correctly.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hennepin has started making calls.

Welp, I guess I officially struck out with all my interviews and so far most of my table talk sessions. EJW, I had so much hope, damn you.
But congrats to those who are getting follow-ups. It's not easy out there for any of us.


One of my two interviews from EJW has obviously moved on without me. Out of my 6 table talks one has definitely moved on without me (Palm Beach) and two more appear to have, though I still have a little hope.

Basically EJW was pretty spotty for me. I'm not holding my breath on anything that happened there. Which is a shame, since like you I too had a ton of hope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hennepin has started making calls.

Welp, I guess I officially struck out with all my interviews and so far most of my table talk sessions. EJW, I had so much hope, damn you.
But congrats to those who are getting follow-ups. It's not easy out there for any of us.


One of my two interviews from EJW has obviously moved on without me. Out of my 6 table talks one has definitely moved on without me (Palm Beach) and two more appear to have, though I still have a little hope.

Basically EJW was pretty spotty for me. I'm not holding my breath on anything that happened there. Which is a shame, since like you I too had a ton of hope.

So i get people are being called back but when do the rejections start rolling in? I haven't heard from many either way.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hennepin has started making calls.

Welp, I guess I officially struck out with all my interviews and so far most of my table talk sessions. EJW, I had so much hope, damn you.
But congrats to those who are getting follow-ups. It's not easy out there for any of us.


One of my two interviews from EJW has obviously moved on without me. Out of my 6 table talks one has definitely moved on without me (Palm Beach) and two more appear to have, though I still have a little hope.

Basically EJW was pretty spotty for me. I'm not holding my breath on anything that happened there. Which is a shame, since like you I too had a ton of hope.

So i get people are being called back but when do the rejections start rolling in? I haven't heard from many either way.


I think a lot of them just aren't going to tell us anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 am

Anyone in the running for San Diego PD? I am "being considered" and curious if anyone else is too...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.