3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:50 pm

NJ pre-bar offers are out, according to a friend from an NY/NJ area school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Brooklyn and Palm Beach at EJW. Table talked with Miami and received a Skype interview.

- Received second round interview with Palm Beach.
- Brooklyn's bail simulation was tough-- still waiting to hear back for second round.
- Miami Skype interview consisted of a hypo and asked me to do cross examination/closing-- said I will receive a letter in a few weeks.

Does anybody know how many rounds Palm Beach is doing?

Palm Beach does two rounds--EJW and then in-office panel.

Source: I interviewed last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Got email for NH panel interview in concord on thursday (the email came on thursday not the interview). Interviewed on campus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Brooklyn and Palm Beach at EJW. Table talked with Miami and received a Skype interview.

- Received second round interview with Palm Beach.
- Brooklyn's bail simulation was tough-- still waiting to hear back for second round.
- Miami Skype interview consisted of a hypo and asked me to do cross examination/closing-- said I will receive a letter in a few weeks.

Does anybody know how many rounds Palm Beach is doing?

Palm Beach does two rounds--EJW and then in-office panel.

Thanks! Any advice for the Palm Beach panel interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Palm Beach does two rounds--EJW and then in-office panel.

I'm the poster who interviewed w/ West Palm last year. Know your crim pro and be ready to articulate a defense theory. They give you a hypo as soon as you walk in, and you have 15 to 30 minutes to sift through it, figure out how you'd litigate (e.g., what to suppress, whom to interview, what to investigate), and come up with a defense theory.

You then step into another room, where the panel is waiting. They ask you to talk through your litigation approach and explain your defense theory. They'll question you on both. Then the interview will move into traditional fit questions: Why PD work? Why here? Why not elsewhere?

This is how the interview went for me last year. Your mileage may vary. Happy to field any other Qs you may have.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 pm

If you haven't heard from LAS at all, is it safe to assume you're not going to? I'm wondering if there's any hope of getting a first-round interview at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Miami - I also had an ethical hypo and cross/closing in my first round interview. For the second round you're asked to prepare something based on a fact pattern they send.

Palm Beach - I can't say for sure, but I'd think there are only two rounds. The first is the screener interview that many people did at EJW, the second is at their office. I say it's prob only two rounds because I doubt they'd make people fly to Palm Beach twice during the hiring process.

BDS - my understanding also is that the bail simulation is what happens at the second round interview. My first round had a spontaneous hypo, but we didn't go into as much depth with it as I expect to do in the second round.

My understanding is that Palm Beach only does 2 rounds and hires pretty quickly because FL's Character and Fitness is such a pain. Does anyone know what the PB panel is like??

I did table talk with BDS at EJW and did a bail simulation, but I have a friend who interviewed with them at EJW and has a second round interview already and is also going to be doing a bail simulation…so idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Palm Beach does two rounds--EJW and then in-office panel.

I'm the poster who interviewed w/ West Palm last year. Know your crim pro and be ready to articulate a defense theory. They give you a hypo as soon as you walk in, and you have 15 to 30 minutes to sift through it, figure out how you'd litigate (e.g., what to suppress, whom to interview, what to investigate), and come up with a defense theory.

You then step into another room, where the panel is waiting. They ask you to talk through your litigation approach and explain your defense theory. They'll question you on both. Then the interview will move into traditional fit questions: Why PD work? Why here? Why not elsewhere?

This is how the interview went for me last year. Your mileage may vary. Happy to field any other Qs you may have.

This is great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Lawst wrote:If you haven't heard from LAS at all, is it safe to assume you're not going to? I'm wondering if there's any hope of getting a first-round interview at this point.

No, I think they interview year round. Last year I got notified for my first interview in early December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I interviewed with BDS at EJW and thought it went well but still haven't heard. I table talked with Palm Beach and still haven't heard, has anyone who just table talked with Palm Beach heard? Got a rejection letter from NJ. Thank god because that interview was disgusting!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with BDS at EJW and thought it went well but still haven't heard. I table talked with Palm Beach and still haven't heard, has anyone who just table talked with Palm Beach heard? Got a rejection letter from NJ. Thank god because that interview was disgusting!

Why disgusting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with BDS at EJW and thought it went well but still haven't heard. I table talked with Palm Beach and still haven't heard, has anyone who just table talked with Palm Beach heard? Got a rejection letter from NJ. Thank god because that interview was disgusting!

Why disgusting?

It was 3 hours long. They told me at the beginning to change my answers if they kept questioning me about it and said there were no trick questions. Then they grilled me when I changed my answers. Never had an interview where they have said that before as usually sticking to your responses is the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why disgusting?

It was 3 hours long. They told me at the beginning to change my answers if they kept questioning me about it and said there were no trick questions. Then they grilled me when I changed my answers. Never had an interview where they have said that before as usually sticking to your responses is the best.

Interesting. I had a similar experience. They strike me as a less client-centered office than other northeastern PDs. (They pushed me quite a bit, for example, on how large a role clients should play in the decision-making process.)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why disgusting?

3hrs, crazy. Were you interviewing for one of their like positions that started before bar results came out?

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Glad I found this thread. Current post-bar grad interning at a CA office. Hoping to land a spot (anywhere) after results come out in a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Just table talked with PB. I've heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why disgusting?

Interesting. I had a similar experience. They strike me as a less client-centered office than other northeastern PDs. (They pushed me quite a bit, for example, on how large a role clients should play in the decision-making process.)

Yeah they got real defensive when they asked a hypo where a client could have his mistress testify and it would be a lot better defense but client didn't want her to testify so his wife wouldn't find out. I said that decision is solely my clients because I can't say what is best for his personal interests (aka maybe he's willing to face prison time to save his marriage). I said I'd counsel him legally on both outcomes but they were not feeling it at all and one even said that's crazy. I was like umm wat?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Anyone heard from Prettyman?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a rejection letter from NJ. Thank god because that interview was disgusting!

Yeah they got real defensive when they asked a hypo where a client could have his mistress testify and it would be a lot better defense but client didn't want her to testify so his wife wouldn't find out. I said that decision is solely my clients because I can't say what is best for his personal interests (aka maybe he's willing to face prison time to save his marriage). I said I'd counsel him legally on both outcomes but they were not feeling it at all and one even said that's crazy. I was like umm wat?

Yes! I think that may have been exactly the situation they gave me. I responded the same you as you did.

Their reaction to that answer turned me off quite a bit. That said, I ended up with an offer last year, so say never say never.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:54 am

Anyone hear from Philly or know anything about their hiring process this year?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 am

FlanAl wrote:Anyone hear from Philly or know anything about their hiring process this year?

Nothing since my "we got your app. Don't call us, we'll call you.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:23 am

FlanAl wrote:Anyone hear from Philly or know anything about their hiring process this year?

I actually recently spoke with Philly's Director of Recruitment. She told me that they are gonna collect resumes until the end of the year and will select candidates to interview in the spring for the incoming class. You will only be notified if they select you for an interview (rejections are not sent out) and they will make all notifications by December 31st.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 am

BarbellDreams wrote:

I actually recently spoke with Philly's Director of Recruitment. She told me that they are gonna collect resumes until the end of the year and will select candidates to interview in the spring for the incoming class. You will only be notified if they select you for an interview (rejections are not sent out) and they will make all notifications by December 31st.

Sooner would be nicer. :)

I'd rather only take the bar I need to.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 am

BarbellDreams wrote:

That is so incredibly unprofessional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 am

Has anyone heard from Hennepin Co. Minneapolis? I interviewed at EJW (3L) but haven't heard yet.

Also, it's not a post-grad job, but did anyone else interview for the spring internship with ACS? I haven't heard, so I'm assuming by now that they already hired. I'd like to get off their unrelenting spam list now if they're not going to hire me.

Return to “Legal Employment”